Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Honestly, most of us are just more comfortable in an urban environment, even if there is crime, pollution, and the like. Going out in the country, you become isolated, and if some **** goes down, it's pretty much your word against theirs. Strength in numbers, to put it bluntly. I am from the northwestern part of Indiana, which is basically where the city of Gary is, and as bad as it is, I would honestly feel safer there than being out in the boonies at night.
I agree with what you are saying, but I think in the OP scenario, there would be a lot of African Americans living nearby in rural areas. I've been to Mississippi and Alabama, and there are as many blacks as whites. Under these circumstances, you would not be isolated.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 05:59 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I agree with what you are saying, but I think in the OP scenario, there would be a lot of African Americans living nearby in rural areas. I've been to Mississippi and Alabama, and there are as many blacks as whites. Under these circumstances, you would not be isolated.

20yrsinBranson
Exactly, many of these towns in MS that I have visited are majority Black, most city cops, mayor, local council members are Black and even though Whites are minority, they have not left. It seems to me that some of the big city ghettos are way more segregated than some of these "racist" Mississippi towns. Many of these big city ghettos are almost 100% Black, you will hardly find a city in MS, LA or AL that is 100% Black

Old 06-26-2010, 06:13 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
During the colonial and certainly the post colonial period, free blacks, virtually free slaves and hired out slaves lived in these areas in the cities. They would typically be owned by a rural master who was collecting money from them. Fredrick Douglas was a hired out slave who lived on his own in a city dwelling and reported back weekly to his master and paid him maybe $3.00 to $5.00 of his earnings Having said all that IMO the urban areas in cities might be considered a "home land" if you will for black people. African American merchants and business men in New York City were organized as early as 1827

Old 06-26-2010, 06:21 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,795,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am trying to understand why so many Blacks live in crowded, urban, big cities. I went to Mississippi about 2 months ago and I saw a lot of "country" Black people in some of the small towns and although there is some poverty in that part of the country, I feel like the quality of life in a small town like Greenwood, MS is way better than living in a ghetto in South Central LA or Detroit.

I understand a lot of Blacks left places like MS, and AL because they were looking for better opportunities in places like Chicago, Detroit, etc but the quality of life in a big city ghetto is horrible.

I have an African American coworker and I always try to invite him to do stuff like listen to country music, go fishing and hunting and it seems like he has a certain resistance to this more "country" lifestyle. I understand maybe racism is part of the reason why so many Blacks feel more comfortable living in a city versus living out in the country but I did not see a lot of "racial conflict" in small towns in MS.
I was raised in the ghetto. Until my parents save some coins to move us out. To experience a better way of living.

Some people want to live somewhere comfortable to them. They move from the ghetto to a prodominently black area of the city. Most brown people are afraid to live outside of their own. We all know "things" occur, when brown people decide to live in other communities.

How about you play spades or dominos or whatever he like to do? Why is he a bad person, because he doesn't want to learn YOUR way of living. Most blacks don't hunt.

BTW: I know several people from MS. Mississippi is still the old south. What is a lot of "racial conflict"??

Old 06-26-2010, 06:42 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
The blacks I know don't live in the Ghetto and don't listen to country music. Some prefer urban and some prefer suburbia. Most lived the the ghetto growing up but not all.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:42 PM

814 posts, read 669,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have an African American coworker and I always try to invite him to do stuff like listen to country music, go fishing and hunting and it seems like he has a certain resistance to this more "country" lifestyle. I understand maybe racism is part of the reason why so many Blacks feel more comfortable living in a city versus living out in the country but I did not see a lot of "racial conflict" in small towns in MS.

I am of mixed race and have been an avid fisherman since I was knee high. I fish tournaments,go to expo's,etc.. Despite being 1 of 100 that is not white I fish tournaments because it is a passion of mine. I've been around enough limp minded guys to know how conforming big groups can be on racist issues. I've seen it my whole life. Does this mean these people are going to do something? No, but the vibe is in the air and unmistaken. It's all about each individuals comfort zone and their willingness to remain open minded. Personally I feel it's part of my duty being of mixed background to break stereotypes and let people get to know me...I am in their world.

I've met some great people, but I've also seen a real ugly side to the back country. To each is own.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Jobs, public transportation, proximity to other blacks. This won't be popular here, but blacks were used to diversify the old working class white neighborhoods in the NorthEast to bring down property value, so it could be easily bought up then changed back into yuppie areas.
That's interesting...do you have any information that proves or documents this?

Old 06-26-2010, 07:07 PM

21 posts, read 25,029 times
easier access to handouts (food stamps, subsidized housing, etc), greater ease in building gangs and defending ones dilapidated neighborhood and turf.

furthermore, most blacks seem to expect the government to provide everything to them which can be done easier in urban areas.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:13 PM

615 posts, read 544,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
That's interesting...do you have any information that proves or documents this?
Just my life experience, and the experience of my elders. Do yourself a favor and look up "block busting."

Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post

How about you play spades or dominos or whatever he like to do? Why is he a bad person, because he doesn't want to learn YOUR way of living.
This is a great suggestion. I hope the OP tries it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies