Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
How can that be made public? When living in Siegen, Westphalen, I sent a letter to local authorities and claimed to be non-religious. The tax was no longer taken from my paychecks and I never heard any more about it. I lived in Germany for another 16 years without paying any Kirchensteuer.
In my village, they know if you have the runs. There is nothing that people don't know in the OP (Upper Palantine) in the small villlages; I suppose the cities aren't as bad. Some of these villages have only 4 or 5 families, all of them intermarried, etc.

They know everything.

For 3 Kings day, the kids come around with a priest and they collect for charity. On your front door, there is a blessing and the date.

If you no longer contribute to the church, they don't come to your house so they, in essence, out you.

It was easier when I lived in Wiesbaden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
I live in EuropeTwo years ago, my mother's uncle fell ill in London. His landlady called the paramedics and they asked if he had family. She said she didn't know of any but wasn't sure and so they said they had been ordered not to take old people to hospital if they don't have any relatives but rather they should leave them to expire at home. So she called his doctor and frantically searched his room where she found a letter from his nephew (my 2nd cousin) and when the doctor turned up, they called the paramedics again and he wouldn't leave until they took him away in the ambulance.

Standard way to save money for Labour so they can waste £3 trillion on crap.
Sounds seriously suspicious to me.
Anything other than second hand stories?

Old 07-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
We saved your asses three times within the last 100 years. First from the Kaiser, next from the Nazis, and last, the Russians. Without the United States, either the Swastika or the Hammer and Sickle would be fluttering above all of Europes capitals.
Oh for ford's sake, give it a rest.
The French helped the US in the revolutionary war. Big deal.
You weren't born then and neither were most of us posting here. So there is no "we" in your comment.

The US turned into a bully since that time.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,219,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh for ford's sake, give it a rest.
The French helped the US in the revolutionary war. Big deal.
You weren't born then and neither were most of us posting here. So there is no "we" in your comment.

The US turned into a bully since that time.
1. Another poster raised the topic first, not I.
2. Yes they did, and we are eternally grateful, and it is a big deal.
3. I was alive during World War 2. I have served in uniform during both the Cold War and one hot one (Vietnam).
4. It is remarks such as this that anger Americans and cause them to view Europeans with contempt. America has been the foremost defender of freedom on this planet since it became a world power.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 AM

985 posts, read 1,852,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
In Germany owning Nazi literature, including Hitler's "Mein Kampf" is illegal and subject to a fine, but no jail time.
In 1979 the Federal Court of Justice of Germany ruled that owning Mein Kampf is not illegal. (Mein Kampf)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies