Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ???
Yes 62 73.81%
No 15 17.86%
Not sure, I wait to have an opinion 2 2.38%
Yes but wind power only 2 2.38%
Yes but solar power only 3 3.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
They're not efficient enough IMO. I'd prefer more nuclear.

I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:32 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Absolutely right. Too bad most people don't know enough about the technical aspects of each to realize you're 100% correct. There are many other practical problems with "green" energy, and most are insurmountable.

The only country that has energy independence is France, and they rely on nuclear power.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I agree with nuclear too.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Nuclear energy is mostly a ruse for bomb making.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Nuclear energy is mostly a ruse for bomb making.
Is that what France is doing???

Old 06-27-2010, 09:44 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wind and even solar is very location dependent.
Its the same with a lot of green energy sources. Not every state in the union has a good wind source, geothermal capabilities, cloudless skies or livestock for manure digesters, and some make be too geologically unstable to risk building nuclear. But all states can use fossil fuel power plants.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Have you seen the enormity of the wind farms of West Texas? All that is needed for them to do what they were constructed for is the power system to carry the power to Dallas and Houston. Some pretty inventive methods have been suggested to build that system, too.

The main problem is that areas that can support these things tend to be far from big cities so that transmission is the real problem.

I don't want to see too much put into solar except on local levels because of the lack of sun too often to take care of that one.
I always go back to this article I read about a high school in Arizona. The received a huge federal and state grant to build two solar arrays, as a cost of about $570,000, and they said during the school year they could save $500 a month on electricity costs. Do the math on when those solar arrays pay for themselves during a nine month school year, and you find that the arrays will not even function for that many decades. Solar is just not even close to cost effective yet.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:49 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Its the same with a lot of green energy sources. Not every state in the union has a good wind source, geothermal capabilities, cloudless skies or livestock for manure digesters, and some make be too geologically unstable to risk building nuclear. But all states can use fossil fuel power plants.
Yep !
Texas in interesting about that : it has more wind/solar resources than other states, it's certainly a good news for its economy

Old 06-27-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Bold: You place solar panels and wind turbines in strategic locations. I'm sure cleaning up that oil in the gulf is pretty expensive and its also killing the world in which we live, but who cares about that right are their fox news people who say there are animals who eat the oil? What sort of environmental disasters can be predicted with solar and wind power? All those preaching nuclear power. Can you imagine what would happen if we had nuclear power representatives buying politicians and then regulations drop and we even get ONE major accident? That would be absolutely DEVASTATING.
You are wasting your breath. There are few electrical power generation plants that run off oil.

We need to get off oil, but we do not have that silver bullet yet, so oil will continue to power our means of transportation.

Wind and solar will not power airplanes, tractors, trains or ships.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Windpower is growing by leaps and bounds out here in Kansas. The most recent one is small but is meant to power the town of Greensburg where the big tornado hit 3 years ago. The company that my boys work for is the main supplier of single family or business wind power generators out here and they have one at their new business, 2 at the public school, one at the new hospital and a couple of smaller ones for private homes. Of course, all these buildings are newly constructed.
They have been making plastic solar panels too, they are supposed to be a lot more cost effective, but I cannot see how they can survive more then a decade before the sun eats up the plastic.

I'm not saying solar panels cannot create electricity, just that they are not cost effective yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies