Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
This has always crossed my mind. I have had some friends who never went to college. They work minimum wage jobs like at Mcdonalds or at a grocery store. They often times complain and gripe about their job and about how they aren't making enough money and in my mind I think "well then you should have gone to college and you might be a lot hapier" It just bugs me and then I've had people in those jobs who have told me that college can't be anywhere near as hard as working at a grocery store, mcdonals, etc. it just really grinds my gears when people complain about their minimum wage jobs when they had the choice to go to college and try to make the best of life. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way or not. I am not talking about people who do construction, or work in mines, or dangerous jobs like that. I am talking about the people that work these so called "hard" jobs at fast food chains, stores, etc.
Some people just do not have "the smarts" to go to college. We used to have decent paying manual labour factory jobs for such people. They could learn to drive a truck, a forklift, be a welder or a machinist and make a decent living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I will give you a simple number: the average first-year teacher makes around $35.00 per year (has a college degree). The average first-year firefighter starts at $64K, degree or not, and there is a higher demand for firefighters than it's for teachers.
how 'bout comparing doctors and firefighters...come on

Old 07-05-2010, 04:26 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
no guarantees. more doors are open for a person with a college degree. look at the job listings...
yet many with a college degree are unemployed or making minimum wage. A college degree doesnt guarantee.

While I have a degree, I am not working in the field I majored in. Heck, I am not working in a field that I minored in.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:30 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
yet many with a college degree are unemployed or making minimum wage. A college degree doesnt guarantee.

While I have a degree, I am not working in the field I majored in. Heck, I am not working in a field that I minored in.
omg i've already said no guarantees. i don't work in my field of study either...

Old 07-05-2010, 04:53 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
This has always crossed my mind. I have had some friends who never went to college. They work minimum wage jobs like at Mcdonalds or at a grocery store. They often times complain and gripe about their job and about how they aren't making enough money and in my mind I think "well then you should have gone to college and you might be a lot hapier" It just bugs me and then I've had people in those jobs who have told me that college can't be anywhere near as hard as working at a grocery store, mcdonals, etc. it just really grinds my gears when people complain about their minimum wage jobs when they had the choice to go to college and try to make the best of life. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way or not. I am not talking about people who do construction, or work in mines, or dangerous jobs like that. I am talking about the people that work these so called "hard" jobs at fast food chains, stores, etc.
And just how do you suppose every person from every high school graduating every year would be able to cram into every college in the land. What a ridiculous concept. I'll bet you've never worked (and I mean WORKED) a hard day in your life. The typical elitist hogwash. Dealing with rude people (or just people in general) serving them food all day is hard and exhausting WORK. The problem with "modern" society is that somewhere along the line employers, and on up, have forgotten that it's the working (blue collar) people that drive this economy. Minimum wage should get a very decent increase. Eleven dollars an hour is more of a livable wage. And still well below a college educated idiot. The more money people make the more that gets spent. All we middle class working people aren't able to spend NEAR the money we have in the past and that is not our fault.

This thread is another great example of how and why this country is being ruined minute to minute.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:54 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
how 'bout comparing doctors and firefighters...come on
You were talking about college degrees. Didn't you? Teachers do have college degrees, I believe

Do you have an idea of the high number of college degrees that have no value in the jobs market? And yes, medical doctors are an exception to the rule compared to the number of worthless degrees out there, and the same for some of the engineering degrees. However, you will also notice that a doctor without skills can't survive as a doctor

Other exceptions to the rule are a bunch of college drop-outs and Hollywood actors, but still make $millions. But these people have a skill that has great value: they can act. The same for a bunch of HS and college drop-outs who are in high demand in the music industry.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-05-2010 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 04:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You were talking about college degrees. Didn't you? Teachers do have college degrees, I believe

Do you have an idea of the high number of college degrees that have no value in the jobs market? And yes, medical doctors are an exception to the rule compared to the number of worthless degrees out there, and the same for some of the engineering degrees. However, you will also notice that a doctor without skills can't survive as a doctor
Those who can't do, teach. Those that can't teach, administrate.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Those who can't do, teach. Those that can't teach, administrate.
Agree with you, but there isn't a high demand on teachers because a lot more teachers graduate each year than the number of jobs available for them in town. That's why they usually start part-time teaching. Administrators too, are a dime a dozen.

If you look at the best paying jobs in town, you will notice that these are in the federal and State government sectors, and that a lot of these jobs require skills over education. That's why the usual DOT grader or crane operator earns a high wage (with lots of benefits), and is not a doctor Electricians, plumbers, painters, carpenters (the trades in the governments sectors) don't need college degrees, and still earn a lot higher wages than workers in the rest of the town (by average). That's one of the reasons why I concentrated on job skills over a college degree, but I did it years ago. I retired at the age of 42 or so back in 1994, and will retire again from another job in seven years (unless the economy dunks, of course).

There are two ways to earn money (legal ones, of course):

1. By working long hours, saving, or investing, and spending your money wisely
2. By attaining a college degree that has a high demand on the market

A college degree that has no value put you in group number 1 (above), in that you still have a chance to do well if you want. A high-demand college degree means nothing unless you can do the things mentioned in group number 1------------

Lets say that the national and State economies tank: in this case, what will give you the best chance to survive? Skills, or a diploma? If such thing happens, everybody will have to try to do any work possible, whatever this work may be, and having a diploma won't provide higher wages. Only work will.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-05-2010 at 06:02 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 05:43 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
I aint got no probles with people that dont go to college.
My main consern is these pointy headed Elites that go around ruining our country.
YES I'ma TALKIN TO YOU OBAMMIE THE COMMIE!!!!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:26 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I aint got no probles with people that dont go to college.
My main consern is these pointy headed Elites that go around ruining our country.
YES I'ma TALKIN TO YOU OBAMMIE THE COMMIE!!!!
hahaha! I guess whoever started this thread was hoping for this kind of response.

By the way, the whole "commie" insult thing only works when you know what the heck you're talking about. Which you don't, I am quite sure. But if you do, enlighten me. Why do you hate the "commies."

Edit: I know it's a pointless question because the online "commie haters" are often cowards on some level so political discussion is kind of pointless considering you will hide behind a term you barely understand and argue with a rhetoric that's been spoon fed to you. "commie haters": either shut up or know what you're talkin about before you respond. Obama is not a commie, so calling him one truly shows a flaming stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies