Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times

Advertisements

And then you have some people that view the college education as a "oh, you think you're hot **** because you got that fancy degree?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
People have a habit when discussing this issue of making the exception the rule and vice versa.

Yes there are college grads who can't find their way out of a paper bag and genius high school drop outs running multi million dollar companies. However the trends don't move this way.

The best defense against poverty is high school graduation. College grads earn, on average, 1.5 million more over their life time than non-college grads.

Just because someone "knows a guy who..." doesn't make a trend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am not sure anyone is saying one job is more "legitimate" than another. The OP simply stated he/she doesn't understand why people complain about being underemployed when they had the option of getting a college degree. A degree that would at least be a leg up towards a job the complainer thinks would be more fulfilling.

Of course people can succeed without a college degree. It is a simple fact that college educated folks make more than those who do not have a college degree. And before someone points out that Bill Gates doesn't have a college degree, he is an exception. I am speaking in general. If you want to increase your odds of achieving material success get a college degree. It is not a guarantee but increases the odds.
Thank you both for saying the above. This is a common topic over on the education forums. Many people bring up Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and a few others. These people are major exceptions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
And then you have some people that view the college education as a "oh, you think you're hot **** because you got that fancy degree?"
Yes, there is a lot of anti-intellectualism in some of these "I don't need no college degree" posts and in real life as well.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:05 PM

615 posts, read 544,821 times
I don't think graduating from college is the accomplishment it once was, or does it equate to financial stability as it did in the past. College has become a business, anyone with money or credit can go to college now days. There are also a lot more college graduates each year then there are jobs, so you have loads of college grads with loads of debt and no real job opportunities. I'm a college graduate by the way, if I could do it all over I probably wouldn't have gone to college, atleast not out of highschool or in my early 20's. College today is basically a scam, you spend a whole lot of money, waste a whole lot of time, and you're guaranteed nothing really.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:05 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Tea Party members are overall, a very educated and enlightened crowd Like the woman who never had any interest in politics until Obama was elected or the people who still believe he was born in Kenya. Sorry, but Tea Party members are mostly ignorant, uneducated people . .
And now, a political force!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:17 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I don't think graduating from college is the accomplishment it once was, or does it equate to financial stability as it did in the past. College has become a business, anyone with money or credit can go to college now days. There are also a lot more college graduates each year then there are jobs, so you have loads of college grads with loads of debt and no real job opportunities. I'm a college graduate by the way, if I could do it all over I probably wouldn't have gone to college, atleast not out of highschool or in my early 20's. College today is basically a scam, you spend a whole lot of money, waste a whole lot of time, and you're guaranteed nothing really.
same can be said with not going....

Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Well, I dropped out of college just 2 semesters before finishing my bachelors degree. I had a good gpa too. I just hate school. Can't stand it. Definitely needed a temporary (or permanent) break from it.

Right now, I have had trouble finding work, but who hasn't? I certainly don't complain about my situation though, (the op's insinuated that all of us without a degree complain about our situation).

As the second poster (I think it was the second) said, not everyone is college bound. To say differently is to be ignorant. You think its easy for someone with severe dyslexia to finish school? What about people who suffer mental disorders? Do you think the over 1% of children diagnosed with autism today have the ability to finish college? Possibly, but I wouldn't put my bets on it.

There are still great paying jobs to be had without needing a college degree. One of the jobs I had in college was bartending at night clubs. I made more money doing that than whatever entry level job my degree was going to get me. I could go straight back to doing that, but I am wanting to at least try for some entry level office work before I do.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:26 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
I said some people complian that their so called "hard, stressful" jobs are hard.

also, There are plenty of programs designed to help students with disabilities. I have a math disability but I'm still going to college and making the best of it.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:28 PM

615 posts, read 544,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
same can be said with not going....
Word, but then again you don't have to start your life with huge amounts of debt. The number one goal of college today is to get the student in debt, and having them spend the rest of their life being a slave to that debt. The cost of college in this country is immoral, the fact that they allow so many get in debt, especially now days with there being no jobs basically. You have American kids spending thousands or taking thousands in debt, while they give jobs to Chinese and Indians on H1B visas.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
I said some people complian that their so called "hard, stressful" jobs are hard.

also, There are plenty of programs designed to help students with disabilities. I have a math disability but I'm still going to college and making the best of it.
That is awesome that you are finding a way to control your disability, but you cannot expect others to do the same. While I don't have a disability of my own, I have seen countless people who do. Its not easy living with such things, let alone putting yourself under added stress and debt via college. You can't expect everyone else in the country to approach their disabilities the same way you do. Some people who have them accept that there are certain paths in life (such as college) that are going to be extremely more difficult for them than the population at large, and opt for another path in life that is more easier for them to accomplish. They shouldn't be ridiculed for doing so, and they deserve a fair chance in this world without a degree if you ask me.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Those are the people that I love to give a big bill to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies