Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,474 times

Advertisements

[quote=unknown stuntman;918519]
Quote:
I'm not really sure what "dimensia" is, but considering I'm pretty sure it is a word foreign to the English dictionary
Main Entry: de·men·tia
Pronunciation: di-'men(t)-sh&, -shE-&
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from dement-, demens mad, from de- + ment-, mens mind 1 : a usually progressive condition (as Alzheimer's disease) marked by deteriorated cognitive functioning often with emotional apathy
2 : MADNESS, INSANITY <a fanaticism bordering on dementia>
- de·men·tial /-sh&l/ adjective / m-w.com

Quote:
and everything about Carter's presidency and post-presidency wasn't some foreign concept to this numbskull, my answer would be "yes". Probably though what Carter suffers from more than anything is what I would diagnose as "Barney Rubbleness".[/
Definition seems to fit well....

Last edited by crashcop; 06-23-2007 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: form

Old 06-23-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Even IF it were true we KNOW that ranking will quickly change on 20 January 2009.
Like it or not, Carter suffered one of the worst reelection defeats by a sitting President , Bush served two (2) terms...

Old 06-23-2007, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Well you may 'not buy' my theory- but if you look back on both economic and political history of Modern America- this has been the case.

Progressives- have had to come in and clean up the mess of conservatives-while conservatives have come in to curb the excesses of liberalism- when both political movements have reached the point where their ideology has become exhausted.

Issues like Health care are a beginning- and the demographic time bomb that is about to explode- will have important implications for the economy and nation socially for many years to come. This will likely spark a return to more progressive economic policies.

As the famous playwright Arthur Miller once said
"An era ends when its basic illusions are exhausted'

the illusions of this current epoch are done- with a mere 20% of the country saying they feel the direction of the country is going well- that alone says change is coming.
Hell may freeze over, but I actually agree with you on this. This country works because the moderates move a little, right or left. ever few years.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:05 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post
Hell may freeze over, but I actually agree with you on this. This country works because the moderates move a little, right or left. ever few years.
And it usually turns out to be a mistake when they move a little to the right.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:32 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
And it usually turns out to be a mistake when they move a little to the right.
Statements such as this are on of the reasons our country is in the bind we are in.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:51 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
I think the finger for that could be pointed more toward the simply disastrous policies of a group of insipid right-wingers, though the concept of insipid right-wingers may itself be a redundancy...

Old 06-23-2007, 07:47 AM

345 posts, read 203,515 times
Clinton, Obama, Edwards. Which one of those ladies are you Progressives going to post up on for Commander In Chief?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM

626 posts, read 992,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
Clinton, Obama, Edwards. Which one of those ladies are you Progressives going to post up on for Commander In Chief?
Those 3 candidates are not liberals. They are left-wing authoritarians.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:55 AM

626 posts, read 992,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Statements such as this are on of the reasons our country is in the bind we are in.
Ending slavery was a move to the left. Giving women the right to vote was a move to the left. Based on your previous statement, I can only assume you don't believe those were good ideas.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:19 AM

345 posts, read 203,515 times
You need to take a breather on that statemnet alung. Lincoln was a Republican. Might I further remind you that it was not Republicans that stood in the courthouse door and in the school doors during the civil rights movement. Fascinating how "progressives" take credit for things they not only didn't have a damn thing to do with but were actually opposed. For a statement like that Lester Maddox, famous Mississippi guvna of the day would have whooped yo butt wit an axe handle. The only thing the eletist left ever did to help minorities was to bait them with hype to get their votes. If you ask them they will tell you right on. Liberals have played them for stupid until the *** is just about up. Increasingly the educated blacks are rising to the fore in the conservative movement and distinguishing themselves. They are catching on to who really enslaved them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies