Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do gay pride parades give you a good or bad impression of homosexuals?
Very good 9 7.83%
Mostly good 11 9.57%
Neither good nor bad 29 25.22%
Mostly bad 38 33.04%
Very bad 28 24.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

Yea, those things are VERY bad P.R. for the gay community. Just remember they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of all gays, just the perverted ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:44 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Before anyone asks me my opinion, which is sure to happen at any moment, I'm going to give my opinion...

I have no problem with pride parades per se, but I wonder why it is necessary to celebrate one's sexual preference. Why not a beastiality parade with animals, or a bondage parade with its participants in handcuffs and tied in ropes? I mean, when it comes to our parades, let's be fair and equal.

Personally I have no trouble with a gay person. I see nothing immoral. I'm for gay marriage. An individual can admit to being gay and I won't be bothered on iota. However if he or she is "flamboyant" about it, then I'll tend to shy away. But I'll shy away from a heterosexual who is flamboyant, so that isn't about sexual preference.

I guess the bottom line is that there is a cost to be paid for being flamboyant in dress and manner, and the person should understand that. It doesn't matter if the flamboyance is due to sexual preference or good ol' fashion American eccentricity.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Gay pride parades: Do they give you a good or bad impression of gays?

They tend to display every decadent stereotype that gays otherwise used to play down.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I have no problem with pride parades per se, but I wonder why it is necessary to celebrate one's sexual preference.
And that's a different argument, but my response is this: The original intent of "Gay Freedom Day" was to say to the world, "Yes, I'm gay, and for this one day, I'm not going to allow you to make me feel ashamed of it." If you don't want to proclaim your sexual preference in public, that's your choice, but don't insult or deny those who wish to do so.

My point in starting this topic has more to do with the fact that I don't care for the "freak show" element of gay pride parades because, overall, I don't believe they represent gay people very well.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And that's a different argument, but my response is this: The original intent of "Gay Freedom Day" was to say to the world, "Yes, I'm gay, and for this one day, I'm not going to allow you to make me feel ashamed of it." If you don't want to proclaim your sexual preference in public, that's your choice, but don't insult or deny those who wish to do so.

My point in starting this topic has more to do with the fact that I don't care for the "freak show" element of gay pride parades because, overall, I don't believe they represent gay people very well.
I pretty much agree with what you're saying, but I'm going to have to give it some thought as to whether a person has the right to insult (as in "express disapproval") if someone decides to publicly proclaim his sexual preference. Not disapproving of the sexual choice, but of the need to openly declare it.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why do those "freaks" give gays a bad name? I'm reading a lot of attacking comments but very little rationales or use of logic.

When people attend parades they know it's not a serious event. Drag Queen are professional entertainers that are paid to glam things up and attract attention. It's a small part of the gay culture. Men dancing with no shirts on are paid to entertain. They are professionals.
I dont see strippers parading around. (well maybe mardi gras) but that is at night mostly. To the casaul hetero sexual parading around with a leather thong during a parade is not how one is supposed to act. Take it home the club or a party not in public. Castro street is not main street

Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 PM

175 posts, read 113,285 times
Quote:

I think your original question was a reasonable one. Whether you like the "freak show" element (as you call it) is kind of irrelevant (in my opinion). I don't care for it either. But as many people correctly pointed out there is a "freak show" element at many different events and locales. The only reasonable question is, does it come at a cost to the LGBT's political capital? Not if it's justfied, not if they have a right, not how I feel about it, but does it come at a cost? And I think this thread, at least demonstrates that there is a Risk/Opportunity here in terms of image and subsequently public relations.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I pretty much agree with what you're saying, but I'm going to have to give it some thought as to whether a person has the right to insult (as in "express disapproval") if someone decides to publicly proclaim his sexual preference. Not disapproving of the sexual choice, but of the need to openly declare it.
Actually, you're right. I shouldn't have suggested you don't have a right to "insult" people who participate in gay pride parades. What I should have said was, "Different strokes for different folks." My bigger point is that I think gay pride parades are not good for the image of gay Americans in general.

Most gays don't even attend those parades. It's been many years since I've been to one. I find them boring. I like being around gay guys. I just don't have a need to turn it into a festival or a parade.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:11 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
I do have a question that I have always been curious about.

If gays believe that they are 'born that way" then why should they be "proud."

I thought the emotion, pride was reserved for something you've earned, an accomplishment, a deed.

It is like someone saying they are going to have a "blue-eyed pride day" or a "6 foot tall pride day" or "small nose pride day."

If it is something innate that they have no control over why do they have pride in it? I am serious about this and would appreciate only serious responses. Thanks

Old 06-29-2010, 04:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
10 people out of the entire gay parade look cosmic and weird. You seem to be the only one having a problem understanding about variety. And most people make their own conclusions based on what they already know. i.e. it's against the bible or social norms.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies