Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do gay pride parades give you a good or bad impression of homosexuals?
Very good 9 7.83%
Mostly good 11 9.57%
Neither good nor bad 29 25.22%
Mostly bad 38 33.04%
Very bad 28 24.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Gay Pride parades are nothing more than Freak Shows, Halloween in June or whatever.......as a out and proud gay man since 1988, I have grown to dislike the whole "Pride Weekend". It has lost its original and true meaning, only to be an excuse for getting drunk or acting like a fool.

And our lovely "liberal" media does nothing to improve this image either. When I see the Pride Parades on the evening newscast, it seems like I am watching the circus march through the local streets.
And that was the point I was trying to make in my earlier posts. But it also pertains to the 'gay' press, such as the Advocate. Even they seem to concentrate on the outrageous parts of the parade and gathering, without sufficient coverage of the 'family oriented' events. The parties in the parks - hotdogs, ice cream cones and other things for the children and families. Almost no coverage of the information booths set up by PFLAG and other organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I don't believe you're gay, but I do believe your from Texas.

Nope I am gay, I just don't make a habit of acting queenie to prove I am.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
The whole idea of a parade celebrating one's sexual identity is weird if you ask me. I mean...ya don't see heterosexuals celebrating their sexuality with a freakin' parade, do ya?

I just don't understand the gays need to holler from the rooftops that they're gay. I mean...isn't one's sexuality a personal type of thing? It's kind of stupid to have a parade over one's sexuality when ya think about it.
Never seen a Mardi Gras parade, have you?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,383 times
pride parades of any types serve the purpose of acting as lightning rods for ignorance.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:49 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
pride parades of any types serve the purpose of acting as lightning rods for ignorance.
yup...enuf ta make yer hair (or somethin') stand on end !
it's turrible I tell ya !

Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 AM

175 posts, read 113,285 times
I think what's missing here (in the comparisons of Mardi Gras, Srping Break, Carnival, etc with Pride Parades) is the political aspect associated with Pride Parades. Maybe such connections are justfied, maybe they're not, but the association exist in people's minds nonetheless. There is no de facto or de jure political statement being made in attending Mardi Gras, Spring Break, or Carnival (at least that I'm aware of). Ironically any outrageous behavior from the Pride Parades would probably at home if done at one of these events.

So I don't think anyone's arguing that gays and lesbians shouldn't party, or even that gays and lesbians shouldn't be able to be outrageous, I think the question that was being asked was, if there is a political association made with pride parades, are the politics hurt by the outrageous behavior? and I think that's a fair question.

I don't think anyone would argue that if the Civil Rights Movement of the 60's were punctuated by raucous wild parties with black people acting outrageous in their own way, that there would be no effect. Certainly they would have a right to party, but who could argue that there would be no negative impact on that movement? Ultimately maybe you still arrive at the same destination, but maybe you arrive that much later. Still, they have the right to choose to party in spite of potential consequences.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Political statement or not. Gay Pride Parades are just for fun and not to be taken extremely seriously. It's not a rally at the state Capitol for "rights." It's not a political meeting at city hall. It's a parade. And any politicians that ride in the parade are usually dressed in mundane clothing. If you can't enjoy a zany parade then you've got problems.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
I would hope that people who profess to be proud about any lifestyle choice actually know how to conduct themselves with decency in public. For me that is what it comes down to. For those who cannot enjoy themselves without being publically drunk/high or feel compelled to portray lewd sexual acts in a public parade, they cross over the line of public decency to unacceptable behavior, IMO.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I think very immature gays and straight people overreact to the gay community and gay pride. When I go out into the gay village. I expect to see outlandish and absurd outfits. If I don't see that then I get disappointed. Those extremely creative people are what makes life so fun and exciting. Whatever anger or hatred that gay men have for each other is the reason why they have so many problems.

For every gay man pointing his finger at another gay man there is a bundle of neurosis, self-hatred, and alcoholism. Learn to be a real man and not point fingers and place blame "You are the reason the gays have such a hard time." When it's reversed as a gay man you give yourself a hard time and you give others that are different a hard time therefore you are contributing to the negativity.

When I see drag queens walking around or hanging out with their colorful outspoken clique I think it's fantastic. They are out having a great time. And that's what people should do when they are enjoying their time off. It's not embarrassing. And I would never be embarrassed to take straight friends out. They know what to expect.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I would hope that people who profess to be proud about any lifestyle choice actually know how to conduct themselves with decency in public. For me that is what it comes down to. For those who cannot enjoy themselves without being publically drunk/high or feel compelled to portray lewd sexual acts in a public parade, they cross over the line of public decency to unacceptable behavior, IMO.
Your choice of words here (the highlighted) tells me that you really do not know what you are talking about. Homosexuality is NOT a lifestyle and it is NOT a choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies