Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Liberals (in general) don't hate all guns. Many of us are hunters, and we do use guns. We just don't think anyone/anygun is a good idea.

Kinda like letting the inmates run the asylum...........

but maybe you like it that way.
There will still be background checks and of course one would want to get a gun away from the mentally ill/deranged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
And please explain, why you need or want to own a gun....protection? protection from what?
Perhaps you have not heard of, or read, accounts of home invasions - where crooks break in while dwelling occupants are awake and beat them, rob them.

Im sure that you will be able to find accounts where a homes occupants were able to successfully able to defend themselves with a weapon.

Also, I'm sure you will be able to find stories of people being able to defend themselves - or others, from personal attacks because they had a firearm.

Lots of reasons

Old 06-28-2010, 05:13 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I was being rhetorical.

But I live in suburban Massachusetts, there hasn't been a crime in my town in about 10 years, and then I think some teens stole the town offices sign.

But then again, none of you have justified the need for owning. Saying for protection is total bull****.

Protection in the minute chance you'll be a victim, please. You'll be a victim as often as you'll win the lottery.

If you feel the need to own a gun for "protection" then you have some serious insecurity issues to work through. I recommend seeing a therapist.
Phoenix Arizona - The kidnapping capital of the United States. Loads of Crime - Murders, Rapes, Home Invasions etc.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:17 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Instead of us who are on the side of the constitution and freedom(s) having to explain WHY we feel we deserve the right to carry a firearm I would like to hear from the those on the other side of the issue explain to US why we shouldn't? It is YOU who wants to infringe on our rights SOOO please tell me..

In the meantime I will share my thoughts on maybe why most of you who are against the 2nd ammendment feel the way you do...

WHY I CARRY A GUN

After years in Law Enforcement I am able to say quite frankly that I see things that a lot of other people do not see, I am able to read situation’s that a lot of other people do not read. This is not because I am special but because of years of practice at it by doing it. It has become 2nd nature for me. And there are many other people in many fields who through their life experiences go through life viewing things differently.

I am also the kind of person to get involved. I do not always carry a gun with me but when I do it is because I am a man! By that I'm not talking about machismo or because it is cool. No one would ever know I am carrying. By saying I am a man; I mean that I am an adult, responsible for my actions, and willing to accept the consequences of them.

When you carry a gun you have the ability to end any mans life. This is a massive responsibility, second only to that of raising children.

There are so many people who are just uncomfortable with that responsibility. I see many on this forum who are. They believe that they can't be trusted with it, so neither should anyone else. They say "the police" or "the government" should take care of that.
I can think of no clearer way of saying "I am immature, and not to be trusted".

Anything can be abused. Laws are only successful in keeping law abiding citizens in check

Old 06-28-2010, 05:22 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,191,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Instead of us who are on the side of the constitution and freedom(s) having to explain WHY we feel we deserve the right to carry a firearm I would like to hear from the those on the other side of the issue explain to US why we shouldn't? It is YOU who wants to infringe on our rights SOOO please tell me..<snip>
Do you remember the old fool who shot a 9 year old boy(I think) during the campaign
because he thought he was going to steal his John McCain sign? That's one....

Edit: My mistake the kid was 17

Teen shot over vandalized McCain sign, police say - CNN.com

Last edited by meson; 06-28-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Doesn't bother the conservatives that beady-eyed Roberts continues to head lousy decisions that favor conservative causes. The lying imbecile promised to be impartial but every decision leans Right 5-4. Pathetic. I agree with the Dissent. With this ruling, the klan can celebrate.

We have an incredible man as President, someone who can and is doing great things for this country, and we are being dragged down by a backwards conservative segment of the SC. It was inevitable that the Second Amendment would be incorporated and apply to states, but I continue to view the decisions of this Court with disdain because of its Conservative leanings.

As the most enlightened among us know, the conservative ideology stinks.
Feel free to "incorporate" the Second Amendment in your own home, the rest of us would prefer to keep it, and keep our rights to bear arms, there's nothing backwards about being able to defend yourself if the need ever arises.

The president is doing great things? Yeah right, that explains his lowest approval ratings last week.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The only thing that I am sorry about was the 5/4 split. It is just freaking unreal that we have a Court that cannot put the law above the politics of the justices. As a LIBERAL I am ashamed of the 4 liberals on the court. How can you argue that every other item in the Bill of Rights applies to states and localities but yet say the 2nd Amendment somehow does not apply? That is not only illogical but STUPID.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
I don't know the answer to this question but maybe someone can pipe in. When was the last time the SCOTUS made a decision that was 9-0 in favor of any ruling?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The only thing that I am sorry about was the 5/4 split. It is just freaking unreal that we have a Court that cannot put the law above the politics of the justices. As a LIBERAL I am ashamed of the 4 liberals on the court. How can you argue that every other item in the Bill of Rights applies to states and localities but yet say the 2nd Amendment somehow does not apply? That is not only illogical but STUPID.
I think I have to agree with you. I'm no constitutional scholar, but to me, it seems like the Second Amendment is clear. I'm not a fan of guns, but I accept that people have a right to own and use them.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
God help us if the SC shifts to a liberal majority. The Bill of Rights will be shredded even more than it already is.
It would be nice to rid the courts of ideologues completely. I really wish we could. As a LIBERAL I want a court that is impartial, respects the law and interprets it to the intent of the legislative branch that passed it.
While I do subscribe to the ideal of the "living document" when it comes to the Constitution, I am NOT open to using that to legislate from the bench by either conservatives or liberals. And, yes, they BOTH do it.
I want a judge that can leave his politics outside when he walks into a court and puts on the robe. A judge should hear both sides of the argument and apply the law and the Constitution to his decisions.
For example, as a LIBERAL I am FULLY and 100% in FAVOUR of the right to an ABORTION. I think it is a fundamental right. But I cannot agree with the reasoning behind Roe vs Wade. There is no "right to privacy" anywhere in the Constitution of the United States. They pulled that ruling out of a hat. If I were a judge, attorneys would have to work a lot harder to convince me that abortion is a right given by the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies