Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 04:13 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

It is nice to see the Repubs shoot themselves in the foot this way. Gun rights, no longer an issue in Nov.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
f.b - Excellent point. Now we need to set up a Federal law that allows concealed carry in all states and most places. I am will to give up my guns if I am attending a function where the organizers are guarenteeing my safety with a beleivable expectation of sucess. Examples would be Public Courtrooms, Police Stations (marginal), military bases and Public Schools.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
f.b - Excellent point. Now we need to set up a Federal law that allows concealed carry in all states and most places. I am will to give up my guns if I am attending a function where the organizers are guarenteeing my safety with a beleivable expectation of sucess. Examples would be Public Courtrooms, Police Stations (marginal), military bases and Public Schools.
Repectfully disagree. Leave CCW with the states at it would be more difficult for the federal government to revoke when it is controlled by the states.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:19 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
U.S. Supreme Court judges are appointed for life. They're not subject to recalls or impeachment, and I'm glad for that. You may say they're not being impartial, but I'm sure they would argue otherwise.
Incorrect. They may be removed from their positions.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Arizona actually has rather flexible gun laws. No bans.
And now, you do not need a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It is nice to see the Repubs shoot themselves in the foot this way. Gun rights, no longer an issue in Nov.
It'll still be an issue because many liberals won't leave the issue alone. Lawmakers will still try other ways of limiting gun rights.

To me that is often the difference between most liberals and most conservatives...if a conservative doesn't like something, he just won't do it. If a liberal doesn't like something, he'll try to pass legislation to make everyone do/not do what they want.

Arctichomesteader is right...while supreme court justices are appointed for life, they can be impeached by the House of Representatives and if found guilty of the charges in a trial by the Senate, they can be removed. But they can only be charged with the same types of offenses that would trigger impeachment proceedings for any other government official under Articles I and II of the Constitution.

Only one Supreme Court justice has been impeached--Samuel Chase, one of the original signers of the Declaration of Independence. The House of Representatives brought 8 charges against him--all politically driven. The Senate acquitted Chase of all charges in 1805 and he remained a Supreme Court justice until his death in 1811.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
my necessity to have a firearm is to keep politicians and the goverment in fear of the armed citizen. I might not be much on my own, but when you add all of us up together, we are a force to be scared of, and the goverment just cannot stand having the people armed.

btw, everyone ages 18-59 are considered to be in the unorganized militia, too bad not many people want to actually be in it.
Am I missing something? Is this Nazi Germany? Is the federal government massing an army to invade your hometown....weirdos.

When was the last time any of you were ever called to be in a miltia..the premise of the "right" anyway.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
When was the last time any of you were ever called to be in a miltia..the premise of the "right" anyway.
The point / issue remains - I have the RIGHT to protect myself, my family, my property from harm. If I choose to possess / carry a firearm that is my "RIGHT".

And personally, while I might not understand why someone would choose to carry a firearm, I will DEFEND their RIGHT to do so.

I would hope you would do the same.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:06 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
If Obama can replace one of the 5 majority justices with an anti like sotomayer or kagan, it will cause massive problems...hence, it's still a major issue.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:

actually it still is, ever hear of state rights towards the 2nd Amendment and the federal goverment. it is going through the court system right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies