Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile last week 3 Australian soilders were killed, and the week before that another 2 more were killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,482 times
U.S. Soldiers shod stop the hostile occupation and go back home.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 PM

814 posts, read 669,980 times
May the soldiers RIP and not go unnoticed.

It is a damn shame we have to lose so many lives over this crock. I've heard conflicting reports as to why we are actually in Afghanistan. Many say to find "the" terrorists,others say it is to get stake in the opium trade, and others say to build a base to be close to the east/west oil pipeline project. WTF?

From what I've read most of the people we are fighting against are so poor that they join opium fueled terrorist groups to feed their family. It is thought that many don't even believe in what they are fighting for. Why don't we just take over the opium fields with the Afghanistan government??

Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
We could have read Russia's tally of fallen soldiers and spared ourselves the same treatment.

Instead, we bought ourselves the same treatment at the cost of hundreds of billions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives altered, whether by death or war.

Like the drunk passed out in the alley, we need to look in the mirror and remember that, WE PAID TO DO THIS TO OURSELVES! And the tragedy is for no better reason than our politicians have an addiction to getting re-elected.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
you know what wins wars? A US Army General ( I forget who it was) said recently that you do not win wars the way we are fighting them. He says that the way to win wars is called the "Dresden Effect" where they bomb entire cities and knock down and burn them block by block by carpet bombing them with B-52's. That's how you WIN a war. You shake the enemies very foundation and you yank their will to fight right out of them. Will alot of innocents get killed? Yep you bet, but you have to remember that this enemy we are fighting will gladly kill as many civilians and innocents as they can, and be greatful that they did. We can't win the way we are fighting in Afg. Especially with a timeline announced.
Gotta respectfully disagree with you. We did all this to Germany, had total air supremacy, could have bombed them for years, and it still required divisions of armor and infantry to take the place. Their fight was made easier by bombing factories, workers' houses etc, but we still took millions of casualties.

We still suffer from this glamorous view of war from afar; we are trying to win a war through drones but the Taliban, a illiterate force without air, armor, naval or satellite assets, is kicking our ass. I'd rather it wasn't this way, but trying to turn pigs' ears into silk purses has cost enough American lives.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM

448 posts, read 533,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Every single one of these deaths was preventable. Not a single soldier should be in Afghanistan without a clear understanding of the mission there. We don't know what the mission is, only that after 9 years marking the longest war in U.S. history we are no closer to a favorable outcome than we were 9 years ago.

We need an exit strategy defined for the American people. This war is a failure on every level.

17 soldiers:

SPC Joseph Johnson, 24, of Flint, Mich.
PFC Gunnar Hotchkin, 31, of Naperville, Ill.
PFC Nathan W. Cox, 27, Fremont, Calif.
PFC Benjamin Park, 25, Fairfax Station, VA
SSG James G. Hunter, 25, South Amherst, Ohio
SPC Scott A. Andrews, 21, of Fall River, Mass.
LCpl Timothy G. Serwiniowski, 21, North Tonawanda, N.Y.
SPC Joseph P. Dohrenwend, 20, Milford, Ohio
1SG Eddie Turner, 41, Fort Belvoir, Va.
PFC David P. Miller, 19, Wilton, N,Y.
SPC Andrew R. Looney, 22 Owasso, OK
Cpl Claudio Patino IV, 22, Yorba Linda, Calif.
Cpl. Kevin A. Cueto, 23, San Jose, Calif.
Cpl. Joshua R. Dumaw, 23, Spokane Valley, Wash.
PFC Anthony T. Justesen, 22, Wilsonville, Ore.
PFC Russell E. Madden, 29, Dayton, Ky.
1SG Robert N. Barton, 35, Roxie, Miss.
Ok first off, it's war. Yes people die. Anyone who enlists for active duty is aware of the risks. God bless them all.

You say that all these people died for no reason and it was preventable. The deaths still occurred. And pulling out of a war we've been in for 9 years would REALLY make thier deaths for nothing.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 394 times
I just came across this page looking for some work my friend did before he died. He was killed in action on June 18, 2010. I don't know how old this page is, it looks pretty old but you got his middle initial wrong and that needs to be fixed. His name is SSG James P. Hunter, as in James Patrick. It is not James G. Hunter, which is what you have listed. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but this was a staff sergeant in the United States Army and he was my dear friend. He is also the only Army journalist killed in action in either current conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was an amazing person and I miss him so much. He believed in his mission. Please be more careful to get names correctly in the future because they aren't just names for you to throw around when you are trying to make a point. They should be remembered accordingly. SSG James P. Hunter-I love and miss you everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies