Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
and b) because there are gun nuts over here, too.

Why do you continue to refer to Americans who like firearms, or have firearms for self protection etc as "Nuts" (gun nuts)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Again, the USSC has said that the individual is PRIMARILY RESPONSIBLE for their own safety - not the Police.
And what about all the children, teenagers, women, and elderly? (I know there are there are also women who carry arms, but I assume their percentage is way lower compared to men.)

Old 07-02-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why do you continue to refer to Americans who like firearms, or have firearms for self protection etc as "Nuts" (gun nuts)??
I refer to anyone (civilian) carrying guns as gun nuts, not only Americans. Where I am from only hunters, policeman, soldiers and criminals have guns, and people run away in panic when they see a civilian with a gun, especially in an urban environment where people are expected to be civilized and peaceful

Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Who protects the unarmed?

What about all the:

childern are supposed to be protected by their parents or school authorities
teens are protected similar to children until they become adults at 16 to 18
women have to protect themselves unless with a male that takes that responsibility
elderly also have to protect themselves unless they are in a health care facility

Police do not have the responsibility to protect anyone, except certain public figures, from assault. The police are charged with finding the attackers after the assault has happened. That is the way it is and the best reason for anyone capable of carrying a firearm should do so.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Police do not have the responsibility to protect anyone, except certain public figures, from assault. The police are charged with finding the attackers after the assault has happened. That is the way it is and the best reason for anyone capable of carrying a firearm should do so.
Like the cavalry in wild west movies, a long tradition...

Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
I refer to anyone (civilian) carrying guns as gun nuts, not only Americans. Where I am from only hunters, policeman, soldiers and criminals have guns, and people run away in panic when they see a civilian with a gun, especially in an urban environment where people are expected to be civilized and peaceful
They recently had "protests" here where civis carried their unloaded weapons into coffee shops and stores. The media made a big deal about it but most people cared less. No one ran out the doors in a panic filled motion.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They recently had "protests" here where civis carried their unloaded weapons into coffee shops and stores. The media made a big deal about it but most people cared less. No one ran out the doors in a panic filled motion.
Yes, you are used to that over there, maybe also thanks to all your crime programs on TV (CSI, Criminal Minds, etc.)

Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
And what about all the children, teenagers, women, and elderly? (I know there are there are also women who carry arms, but I assume their percentage is way lower compared to men.)
Women are purchasing firearms at a higher rate than men.

And what about kids, women etc? The PRIMARY obligation for protection is with the individual. Cops cannot possibily be everywhere all the time.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i am no expert but i do know that predators are not afraid of people. (sierra club lied) they are afraid of people with guns. 2 legged or 4 legged its all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies