Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I hear gun nuts claiming that the reason Chicago has so many shootings because handguns were banned, even though shotguns were not. They have long claimed that overturning the handgun ban would serve as a deterrent and reduce crimes. Wanna bet that the number of murders will not be reduced next year. This will have no impact on gun violence as most of the people getting shot (gangbangers) in Chicago already had guns.
I don't think it will. The only difference is that now instead of people carrying them illegally, they will be able to carry them legally. I think open-gun carry should be banned altogether. Keep them in your house to protect your family, property, etc. but do you really need one in your car, purse, etc.? Isn't that why they invented tasers and mase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Report Links State Gun Laws To Rates of Slayings, Trafficking - washingtonpost.com

On the way guns travel between the states with differing gun laws...

Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Guns can't fix your rotten society...
This is what no one seems to understand. Parts of the world like West, Central, and Northern Europe and Northeast Asia have such low crime rates not because of access to weapons or lack thereof but because their societies aim for maximum social solidarity and minimal disparity. Disparity is what causes crime and social discord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Another piece of jealous Eurotrash speaks on an AMERICAN forum.
Trust me, no one in Europe or anywhere else in the developed world is envious of America's violent crime rate.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I don't think it will. The only difference is that now instead of people carrying them illegally, they will be able to carry them legally. I think open-gun carry should be banned altogether. Keep them in your house to protect your family, property, etc. but do you really need one in your car, purse, etc.? Isn't that why they invented tasers and mase?
Tasers and OC sprays are rarely effective is stopping a lethal attack by an armed attacker. Furthermore, those less than effective tools require a means of escape exist for the intended victim.

Law enforcement uses Tasers and OC spray as compliance tools. This is unrealistic for the average citizen or 80 yr. old grandmother in the Wal-Mart parking lot who is attacked.

Again, the constitutionally affirmed right is being ignored by those arguing for restrictive firearm ownership control measures.

You expressed you would eliminate "open carry". Would you similarly eliminate freedom of speech in public or the ability to worship in public? Do you have a "need" to express your opinion in public or worship there or should these be relegated to inside the home as well?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Report Links State Gun Laws To Rates of Slayings, Trafficking - washingtonpost.com

On the way guns travel between the states with differing gun laws...
If lax gun laws lead to increased crime, and strict ones reduce crime, Vermont would be the most dangerous place and Chicago would be the safest in the U.S. The reverse is closer to the truth...

Old 06-28-2010, 01:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
there is nothing like getting shot to reduce your criminal behavior.
as to your friends, word gets around fast.
raping people is just not fun when you got a hole in your head.
it also has a wonderful healing affect on "troubled youth" and people that are making "bad choices".

Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie_Hoffman1 View Post
Equally amazing is how all those Western European countries (and canada as well) have miniscule homicide rates compared to the "great" United States.

I wish We here in our country would get rid of our "we are such bad asses" and toughguy mentality.

We can learn alot from the European nations
And Switzerland requires all adult males to have a rifle at home, and they have lower crime rates than neighboring Germany which has strict gun laws. The Czech Republic has very liberal concealed carry laws (meaning, any non-criminal could carry concealed there).

Europe isn't all like the UK, or Germany.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:21 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In theory I might agree.
The reality however is another story. Most folks get pumped up and buy a gun. They shoot a box or 2 and call it good. They buy a semiauto, load the clip and stick the gun in a nightstand. An intruder enters the home 2 years later. The gun owner fights the urge to crap their pants. Struggles to find the gun under all the junk thats been put on top of it.
Ah ha they have found their prized glock, smith&wesson, Taurus or (shudders) high point. Oh snap wheres the safety? Honey turn the light on real quick. Oh snap is one in the chamber? I better cycle the action to check. Out flies a live round. shhhlak the slides snaps home. Oh god damn it. It pinched the web of the the homeowners hand. Mean while the intruder a bad boy from the bad part of town is in crisis. He is laughing so hard its causing heart palpatations. He takes a deep breath aims and shoots Mr. Rambo wanna be.
This is the reality of too many gun owners.
Ever wonder how a group of cops can shoot over 50 rounds at 1 bad guy hit him with 6 killing him? Lack of practice, lack of control, lack of skill.
I truly agree with you, one can own a gun, but does not mean one knows how to use the weapon, which in the hands of someone who does not know how to use it, can and has been used, to kill themselves, by the criminal. Owning a gun, and knowing how to use it are 2 different things. Coming from a background where guns were used for hunting, and gun practice, a lot of practice, not just target practice a couple of times, and calling it good. If you are going to have a gun for protection, please know how to store the gun properly, and please do, target practice more then one or 2 times. Or the gun just may be used on you by a criminal.We will always have the criminal's who are not afraid of anything, but knowing that so many people will and do own guns, make a crimianl think twice about breaking into one's house, from a television show i watched from criminals in jail, absoutely not, they will take their chances. But they do not want to break into a home, where someone does own a gun, but that will not stop the criminal mind. The criminal hell bent on breaking into a home for what ever reason. Criminal intent will not stop these thugs, from breaking into a home, so if your a gun owner, you better know how to use the gun.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
This is what no one seems to understand. Parts of the world like West, Central, and Northern Europe and Northeast Asia have such low crime rates not because of access to weapons or lack thereof but because their societies aim for maximum social solidarity and minimal disparity. Disparity is what causes crime and social discord.

Trust me, no one in Europe or anywhere else in the developed world is envious of America's violent crime rate.
Crime is a bit like rats. When there is a rat problem, one can of course flood everything with rat poison, but it will cause victims among the innocent, lower the quality of life and be without long-term effects. It is much safer to eliminate what rats like in order to thrive in the first place, but it takes changing one's habits.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If lax gun laws lead to increased crime, and strict ones reduce crime, Vermont would be the most dangerous place and Chicago would be the safest in the U.S. The reverse is closer to the truth...
I think violent crime is largely an urban problem. Vermont probably has no big cities with lots of inequality etc. I think it is quite safe in rural Illinois, too.

OK, just looked it up, Burlington is the biggest city in Vermont, population of roughly 39k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies