Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Social conditioning is a different topics entirely. The subject at hand is examining the relationship between crime and the Chicago gun ban and if those statistics will decrease with the SCOTUS ruling on McDonald vs. Chicago.

There are many ways to reduce crime; however, those are not the topic of this thread.

Actually yours is an opinion (about the superiority of European society), not a fact. I wouldn't expect a bird whose wings had been clipped or had been bred over generations not to fly to feel it missed flying either. One cannot miss something one has never known.
It is very much part of this thread, as it touches on the reasons for crime. Does anyone really think more guns will solve the underlying social problems?

We have had this discussion in several threads and nobody has so far come up with a list of concrete things your supposedly bigger freedoms over there allow you to do that I am not allowed to do over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It is very much part of this thread, as it touches on the reasons for crime. Does anyone really think more guns will solve the underlying social problems?

We have had this discussion in several threads and nobody has so far come up with a list of concrete things your supposedly bigger freedoms over there allow you to do that I am not allowed to do over here.
You choose to broaden the topic off subject. And yes, you do try to broaden it in every thread on firearms in which you post. Fewer guns in the hands of law abiding citizens does not = fewer guns in the hands of criminals. Thankfully SCOTUS seems to have recognized this in their decision on McDonald vs. Chicago.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:45 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Oh please, leave the Bible out of the equation There are largely agnostic or atheist countries that have way lower violent crime than the US.
You mean in countries like Russia?

This was a screen capture from a website, the document might require Microsoft PowerPoint for you to view it.

http://longevity-science.org/Harvard-Presentation.ppt

I'll leave the Bible out of this, and I can tell you that violent crime happens anywhere in the world, even in countries that are "largely agnostic or atheist". They may have much stricter gun laws, but they do not necessarily have much "lower violent crime" rate than we do in the United States. Look at Columbia, and the violent crime that's caused by the drug cartels, where innocent people end up being victims.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I predict a lot more dead kids and teens, and just as much crime as ever. . . .
And why would that be? Do you have any stats that reflect such a trend?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:56 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,723 times
nothing else matters. it is a constitutional right for Americans!!!!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jane, need to act defensively, the police can not be everywhere. Often they arrive when its too late.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Guns can't fix your rotten society...
No, but they can ensure that you are not a victim in this rotten society.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:

We heavily armed Americans here have not experienced a tyrant on the scale of Hitler.

Which is the main reason behind the second amendment.

And for other rights, we can defend ourselves from armed, violent thugs. And don't pretend Europe has none, because they do. Wasn't that long ago the UK had a mass shooting spree that left several people dead, in spite of strict gun laws.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
I have been to Switzerland naturally, people there are very different from Anglo-Saxon cultures. They will never have crime the way Americans have it, it is a totally different culture where life is considered kind of untouchable, very much like in Germany, whether their gun laws are similar or not. Even Swiss big cities are small, without all the problems American cities face. Swiss society is rather egalitarian, there is little poverty, the standard of life is high for everybody.

It is interesting that guns in Switzerland are largely associated with the militia, i.e. the army, not with private citizens. The word militia for Switzerland in my view means what was originally meant in the US constitution, i.e. a kind of military ready to defend the country against foreign forces if necessary. Those arms in Switzerland are not meant to be used against Swiss people. On that page you will also find the differences to US gun laws, for instance regarding carrying guns.
Did you not read my link? There's pretty widespread civilian ownership of private firearms there...in addition to the militia related arms.

It wasn't that many years ago that Switzerland had readily available concealed carry licenses in most of their cantons. The issue of them was federalized though they are still available somewhat unlike many European countries (though the Czech Republic probably has the best concealed carry laws of Europe).

There may be merit to the argument there's cultural and societal reasons for Switzerland being so safe (which may be true here in Vermont too), but in any case, it doesn't change the facts that allowing some of the most freedom for gun ownership in Western Europe, has not caused crime issues in Switzerland.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I hear gun nuts claiming that the reason Chicago has so many shootings because handguns were banned, even though shotguns were not. They have long claimed that overturning the handgun ban would serve as a deterrent and reduce crimes. Wanna bet that the number of murders will not be reduced next year. This will have no impact on gun violence as most of the people getting shot (gangbangers) in Chicago already had guns.
So what your saying is that the previous law didn't not help nor will repealing it do any harm? So bacailly the court was right in not prevent citizens from owning guns in chicago.Homocaide is in law from criminal to justified self defense. Most people distinguish the difference ;you don't it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies