Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 AM

325 posts, read 235,765 times

Advertisements

I hear gun nuts claiming that the reason Chicago has so many shootings because handguns were banned, even though shotguns were not. They have long claimed that overturning the handgun ban would serve as a deterrent and reduce crimes. Wanna bet that the number of murders will not be reduced next year. This will have no impact on gun violence as most of the people getting shot (gangbangers) in Chicago already had guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Worked to save this Chicago resident's life:

FOXNews.com - 80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

Quote:
An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed man who broke into his two-story house in a pre-dawn home invasion Wednesday on the city's West Side.

At about 5:20 a.m., the homeowner and his wife, also in her 80s, discovered the intruder entering their home through a back door. The homeowner, who had a gun, confronted and killed the burglar on the doorstep, police said. Cops said the intruder also fired his gun during the struggle.

"It's a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead," said Curtis Thompson, who lives next door to the couple, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
Now his gun won't be illegal to own.

Of course carry outside one's home, open or concealed, will have even more impact on crime.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
I'm from the chicago area, and most everyone i know that lives in the city of chicago has a handgun in their house. There has been i believe three or more incidents like above this year with residents defending themselves with illegally owned handguns, though none were prosecuted.
The problem isn't the guns, its the ones mostly using them, the thugs and gang bangers. The city/state/country should lax laws of ownership, but put harsh mandatory jail time punishment for illegally owning a gun, or to be a known gang member in the possession of one. There is no need to punish everyone for the ones that are causing all the problems.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'm from the chicago area, and most everyone i know that lives in the city of chicago has a handgun in their house. There has been i believe three or more incidents like above this year with residents defending themselves with illegally owned handguns, though none were prosecuted.
The problem isn't the guns, its the ones mostly using them, the thugs and gang bangers. The city/state/country should lax laws of ownership, but put harsh mandatory jail time punishment for illegally owning a gun, or to be a known gang member in the possession of one. There is no need to punish everyone for the ones that are causing all the problems.
Agreed. Gun ownership will not impact the crimes currently being committed.
Until we really punish criminals they have no fear of consequences. We send them to jail and they simply associate with other gang bangers already there.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
You have only to look at the places where gun ownership (indoors or out) is sharply curtailed. I am talking about First World countries similar to ours in industrial and technical sophistication etc. Look at their crime rates, murder rates, domestic violence rates, etc. The presence of guns in American cities has done zip to bring our crime levels down. But if it makes the gun lovers happy, so be it. I am all for people being happy. Just don't shoot me with your legal firearms please. I won't be trying to hurt you. Promise.

H

Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I hear gun nuts claiming that the reason Chicago has so many shootings because handguns were banned, even though shotguns were not. They have long claimed that overturning the handgun ban would serve as a deterrent and reduce crimes. Wanna bet that the number of murders will not be reduced next year. This will have no impact on gun violence as most of the people getting shot (gangbangers) in Chicago already had guns.
I think the purpose of loose gun laws should be that law-abiding citizens can protect themselves against thugs. People are still going to get killed, the object should be are INNOCENT people getting killed?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Default Will crime be reduced now that the gun ban is overturned

It should - especially considering all statistics that support that it would.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agreed. Gun ownership will not impact the crimes currently being committed.
Until we really punish criminals they have no fear of consequences. We send them to jail and they simply associate with other gang bangers already there.
Gangs will never stop their crime, however, if they invade a house with an armed homeowner, and get shot and killed, that is one less bad guy in the world. Home invasions will go down, I bet. Gang shootings will not.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,069 times
what right does anyone have to tell anyone that they can't have a firearm..

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
So you choose to label the five SCOTUS members who voted in favor of this case, as well as Chicago law enforcement, as "gun nuts"? If you read the decision they actually point out that handgun murders have increased in Chicago since they enacted their unConstitutional handgun ban.

From the decision:

"Chicago enacted its handgun ban to protect its residents"from the loss of property and injury or death from firearms." See Chicago, Ill., Journal of Proceedings of theCity Council, p. 10049 (Mar. 19, 1982). The Chicago petitioners and their [/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]amici[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3], however, argue that the handgun ban has left them vulnerable to criminals. Chicago Police Department statistics, we are told, reveal that the City’s handgun murder rate has actually increased since the ban was enacted1 and that Chicago residents now face one of the highest murder rates in the country and rates of otherviolent crimes that exceed the average in comparable cities.2 "

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies