Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Please read this study I found before answering my question, thanks.

A Pox on Both Your Houses: Why Diversity Destroys Social Capital

So how is diversity supposed to be a good thing? Why do we "need" to have diversity in a country, what's wrong with having one single dominant group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Diversity done in a controled manner is not a bad thing. Imagine a team of troubleshooters trying to solve a problem. All schooled in identical disiplines. Not a very effective team.
Now imagine a team looking at the problem from different perspectives...
I am a firm believer in variety is the spice of life.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

So how is diversity supposed to be a good thing? Why do we "need" to have diversity in a country, what's wrong with having one single dominant group?
Because some of us believe that our group/race, is just as moral, intelligent, fair, and capable as any one group who attempts to portray themselves superior to all other groups and therefore should be the only group making decisions for everyone else!!

Diversity is important because when the ignorant, small minded racists die off and the remaining ones are marginalized due to a refusal to live in reality, then all people can honestly overcome and discuss their prejudices and the reasons for those prejudices.

This only helps to make this country and society stronger not weaker.

History has ALWAYS shown us that when one group of people hold supreme power over others, the dominate group always becomes unfair and corrupt.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:55 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Diversity without silent hostility is great. i.e. pluralism. It's a sign of a modern society.

Diversity can be bad when you see people self-segregating and forming social hierarchies amongst themselves.

Minority groups dividing up amongst themselves is also another problem.

Last edited by artsyguy; 06-28-2010 at 06:03 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 05:57 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Interesting. I don't see diversity as a good vs bad thing. But in our country today it just IS. It is a fact of life that we are more diverse than say 20 years ago.

So we have to work with what we have, be accepting of others and try to work together.

Frankly I am not surprised by the study. It really makes sense. Most people inherently are comfortable with people they relate to, who look like them, have the same values, culture etc.

But it doesn't mean we can't adapt and accept our changing nation.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:01 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
If the country was full of people stupid like me, well...

Thank goodness for diversity.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:02 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Be prepared for the politically correct "reign" on this parade. I'm just saying.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
would you prefer a country full of 'Stepford Wife" type men and woman? not me.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
At its best, diversity reminds us of our common humanity.

At its worst, it insitutionalizes reverse discrimination and racism, as if two wrongs made a right.

As our society becomes more enlightened, the need for diversity will decline, and we can go back to judging people on the content of their character instead of their ethnicity.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
In my observation, "diverstiy" tends to self regulate, as new cultures blend, as younger generations learn to become comfortable with a variety of cultural norms. When diversity is seen as a fixed thing, unchangeable, and when people of different cultural traditions feel "forced" to accept what they do not understand, resistance to acceptance and eventual change hardens into a very destructive kind of ideology. I think here, in the U.S., especially of the traditions surrounding Christmas and the winter holidays. . . .those who only want to be exposed to celebrations that focus on the person they call "Christ", those who want to enjoy the childhood fantasies of Santa Claus, those who wish to avoid any mention of the Christian traditions associated with Christmas, those who fail to remember that "St. Nick" was a christian symbol, those who come from cultural traditions that make no reference to Christ, but celebrate in their own tradition, and those who feel that a "new tradition", especially for them, is necessary. How silly. . . .how very silly to turn a time of at least potential good feeling into a time of hurt and anger because everyone does not follow the exact same tradition that you do. . . ."Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah,Seasons Greetings" all mean exactlhy the same thing, and without our anger and fear and fearce defense of what we, personally, hold dear, we can give and recieve good wishes. . . .if any time is one to "give up" the anger, the winter holidays would be that time. . . .anyone want to join me in being perfectly OK with how every others choose to celebrate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies