Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times

Advertisements

And Boxer is from Brooklyn. Kind of hard to be racist growing up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
My response is: if you think they're racist and klan material, you're a moron. The man they serve at the hands of is mixed-race and they both love the guy. Boxer is Jewish, and Biden grew up in Wilmington, which is a black city.
Then why is she so condescending to that man in the video?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Then why is she so condescending to that man in the video?
How would that prove or imply she's racist?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
How would that prove or imply she's racist?

YouTube - Harry Alford: Barbara Boxer Is Full Of "Pure Race"

Old 06-30-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Get me more people than Harry Alford, a Republican, calling Boxer a racist and I'll take it to be a credible claim. Until then, this is obviously a guy trying to get his 15 minutes.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:36 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
KKK were Democrats

Talk about an inconvenient truth….

Yup, and the Dodgers & Giants WERE in New York.

Some things (and people) change.

Last edited by plannine; 06-30-2010 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: didn;t want to insult the dumb

Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Racists are found in all parties because individuals make up the parties.
Because someone votes and happens to be racist doesn't mean the party is racist either.
I think it might be best to see what a party stands for first and doesn't look to promote or get votes from any voting block or race. If democrats promoting that republicans are racists to get the black vote is this helping blacks or only using them as a tool. I don't think the goal of a government was to promote race and or religion or economic status as a voting tool or propaganda. Being that both parties are only interested in power and expanding government both parties are bad for all people of color, white, black etc and against all individuals.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
No, I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. You said that churches prove your point about conservatism, and I said, not these churches in the north, they weren't conservative-like the SB is today. Besides the whole Baptist movement starts with America's first liberal, Roger Williams, but besides the point.

You still have yet to say specifically how the south was liberal anyway. They north also had literature, arts, music, architecture, etc, plus the social mindedness one might associate with liberal movements.

The south was pretty clear to hang onto its "way of life" which is a very conservative way of thinking.
I don't think that we are going to come to an agreement, and we are taking this thread off-topic.

The interplay of economics with cultural heritage are part of what makes the causes of the Civil War so complex and interesting. Even today, there are historians trying to resolve why abolitionists were SO focused on the South and slavery, and yet so oblivious to the working conditions and horrible living conditions of Northern workers. I have said how the south was liberal, you remarked that that was cultural liberalism, not social liberalism, as if the two don't go hand-in-hand. I've pointed out that religion in the North played a more prominent role in day-to-day life in antebellum America than religion did in the South. YOU pointed out the role religion played in politics in the North, a role that was not mirrored in the South. I've stated that whenever religion dominates the social and political discourse, you have a social system that is characterized by greater rigidity. You've not rebutted that statement.

The fact is that your entire argument rests on the premise that because the North promoted abolition of slavery, the North was more liberal. Abolition was a key issue of that time period. But social liberalism embraces much more than one key issue, and in numerous other ways the South was much more tolerant of a range of religious beliefs (for instance the social repercussions of being Jewish or Catholic were much less felt in the South than the North) as well as of colorful or flamboyant lifestyles. You ignore the economic pressures that were at play regarding abolition to make your argument, and I think that's a weakness in your argument. After the war there was clearly a shift in cultural paradigms that resulted in the South becoming conservative and more insular, not an especially surprising result given the abject poverty that characterized the post-war South.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
And Boxer is from Brooklyn. Kind of hard to be racist growing up there.
There's no racists in Brooklyn?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
There's no racists in Brooklyn?
I'm sure there may be a few but it's something you'll find hard to be being that there's probably every race under the sun living in your apartment if you live in BK. Considering she's Jewish and these are baseless claims made by a Republican looking for 15 minutes of fame, I'll give Babs the benefit of the doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies