Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:44 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Of course that site will not say they refused any offers. Look who runs it.

Dated 5/6/2010
U.S. not accepting foreign help on oil spill | The Cable
"Late Wednesday evening, the State Department emailed reporters identifying the 13 entities that had offered the U.S. oil spill assistance. They were the governments of Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Republic of Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United Nations.
"These offers include experts in various aspects of oil spill impacts, research and technical expertise, booms, chemical oil dispersants, oil pumps, skimmers, and wildlife treatment," the email read.
"While there is no need right now that the U.S. cannot meet, the U.S. Coast Guard is assessing these offers of assistance to see if there will be something which we will need in the near future."

And this one points out an interesting bit...they didn't volunteer, free of charge. They all want to get paid. Meanwhile the US goes in and does their work for free. Nice how we give all this free global help and when it comes time for them to come to our aid..they charge us

News Headlines

"The State Department confirmed that nearly every offer of equipment or expertise from a foreign government since the April 20 oil rig explosion would require the U.S. to reimburse that country."
Look at the date 5/6/10...a lot less than 60 days.

Now you're bitching the foreign countries will bill the US?

Jesus. if Obama has refused the aid because they were going to charge the US, you'd bit**. Can't have it both ways, sparky. The US can send the bills to BP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Look at the date 5/6/10...a lot less than 60 days.

Now you're bitching the foreign countries will bill the US?

Jesus. if Obama has refused the aid because they were going to charge the US, you'd bit**. Can't have it both ways, sparky. The US can send the bills to BP.
Geeze..I'm not the one bitching about this. I was pointing out how we go all over the world and help for free. When the table is turned..the help to us comes at a cost.

The article is dated 5/6..it doesn't say the help wasn't offered earlier.

The states have their responsibilities.
The fed has their responsibilities.
BP has their responsibilities.

I'm just sitting here reading about all that is happening, not happening, who is getting blamed and how each group accuses the other of not doing their job. But, none of this is stopping the leak. The damage is done and is continuing to grow. Blaming and finger pointing won't fix it.
It will take mother nature decades to heal.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times
Quote:
Geeze..I'm not the one bitching about this. I was pointing out how we go all over the world and help for free. When the table is turned..the help to us comes at a cost.

BP will pay , no?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Then bill BP, easy peasy. The govt' response to the oil spill has been twisted and misreported for so long that it has become almost comical. Foreign help has been there for a while, NOT just recently. Jeeezzzz. (I know I use that word a lot, but the *F* bomb will get me kicked off the forum).

Old 06-30-2010, 07:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
BP will pay , no?
Good question..IMO BP should pay for any foreign help that charges.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:

The states have their responsibilities.
The fed has their responsibilities.
BP has their responsibilities.

I'm just sitting here reading about all that is happening, not happening, who is getting blamed and how each group accuses the other of not doing their job. But, none of this is stopping the leak. The damage is done and is continuing to grow. Blaming and finger pointing won't fix it.
It will take mother nature decades to heal.

The thing is, nobody was prepared for the worst-case scenario. Nobody had the infrastructure in place to deal with this massive amount of oil going into the Gulf. And hindsight is always 20/20 in these cases.

The damage to the Gulf will more than likely take centuries to heal, if at all.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
And we'll never really be told why the WH waited so long before accepting foreign aid.
Apparently, even to this day, BP has the authority to accept/refuse help. Either that, or 0bama has zero interest in accepting help, so people, who are more concerned about the spill then 0bama, are getting a shrug of indifference from 0bama, and going to plead with BP.

There is this 300 foot oil skimmer, named Nanuq, according to Shell:
"She's definitely the largest that we know of," said Shell Alaska's Susan Moore. "She's got 12,000 barrels of storage, which is above and beyond what most other oil spill response vessels around the world have."

"I can't tell you why BP decided to pass on the Nanuq," said Shell spokesperson Curtis Smith. "Of course it's our preference that it be working in the gulf, but it will remain available should BP reconsider."

This massive ship has been sitting in Alaska for over two months, so I do not want to hear the complainer in chief say he has been in charge since day one, and is using every resource available to him.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Apparently, even to this day, BP has the authority to accept/refuse help. Either that, or 0bama has zero interest in accepting help, so people, who are more concerned about the spill then 0bama, are getting a shrug of indifference from 0bama, and going to plead with BP.

There is this 300 foot oil skimmer, named Nanuq, according to Shell:
"She's definitely the largest that we know of," said Shell Alaska's Susan Moore. "She's got 12,000 barrels of storage, which is above and beyond what most other oil spill response vessels around the world have."

"I can't tell you why BP decided to pass on the Nanuq," said Shell spokesperson Curtis Smith. "Of course it's our preference that it be working in the gulf, but it will remain available should BP reconsider."
This massive ship has been sitting in Alaska for over two months, so I do not want to hear the complainer in chief say he has been in charge since day one, and is using every resource available to him.

Facts:

BP uses supplies from unused Shell oil spill response vessel - Local News - Anchorage, AK - Anchorage - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37992681/ns/local_news-anchorage,_ak - broken link)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- BP says it's working to move an oil cleanup system from an Alaska down to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

BP spokesperson Robert Wine confirms that the company purchased an Ocean Buster oil skimmer from Shell Oil. Wine says the company can easily pack the containment boom and ship it to the gulf, where the company plans to install it on a different vessel.

The skimmer is part of Shell's Nanuq oil spill response vessel, currently docked in Seward. BP says because it would have taken too long to sail it to the gulf.

A trip via the Panama Canal can take up to 30 days.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:07 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Hot Air » Finally: Feds to accept help from 12 countries in dealing with oil spill

Looks like the Feds have FINALLY given in and are going to accept some help to clean up the oil, from foreign countries. Gee, Barry, I guess you figured youve let enough damage occur thatll help push Cap/Trade? We know you arent stupid, your deceitful and steering the country to hell, but you arent stupid.

70 frickin days, and this man finally okays what people have been asking for for how long now?! This man is a complete and utter disgrace.
Amazing since the help was offered shortly after it became obvious Obama was not in a hurry to do much about anything regarding the oil. Heard Jindal this morning and boy did he hit the nail on the head regarding the insanity of the EPA. He asked simply "when is it more harmful to place rocks in the ocean to stop the oil?" We have a lopsided EPA that is more interested in power than really helping the environment.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:25 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Facts:

BP uses supplies from unused Shell oil spill response vessel - Local News - Anchorage, AK - Anchorage - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37992681/ns/local_news-anchorage,_ak - broken link)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- BP says it's working to move an oil cleanup system from an Alaska down to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37992681/ns/local_news-anchorage,_ak# - broken link).

BP spokesperson Robert Wine confirms that the company purchased an Ocean Buster oil skimmer from Shell Oil. Wine says the company can easily pack the containment boom and ship it to the gulf, where the company plans to install it on a different vessel.

The skimmer is part of Shell's Nanuq oil spill response vessel, currently docked in Seward. BP says because it would have taken too long to sail it to the gulf.

A trip via the Panama Canal can take up to 30 days.
I saw all that, but its irrelevant.

And this means what to the people suffering from the oil? It means 0bama is sitting on his hands, has zero interest in putting all available resources to work, that ship has been idle for two months.

But good news... since 0bama is disinterested, BP will retrofit one of their ships, and maybe on day 100 they will be ready to sail it.

Fact: 0bama is doing squat, refusing to deploy thousands of oil skimmers, and is instead deferring to BP. God help us if this oil rig was owned by Cuba or Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies