Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Montana GOP says homosexuality should be illegal. Do you agree?
Yes 14 12.28%
No 100 87.72%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:43 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well they have looked into it but unlike the GOP "science" has more important things to do. It doesn't even matter if it's nature vs nuture vs choice...there is NOTHING to CRIMINALIZE.
There are quite a few "reasons" for homosexuality.

It could be population overgrowth, as instances in China are estimated to be considerably higher than advertised (China has a very harsh policy against homosexuality, if I were going to be killed for openly stating my feelings, I'd lie to)

In times past, homosexuals were used to help in the rearing of children, and other roles where women and were to busy, and regular men were out doing other things.

There are lots of reasons why homosexuality could be a small genetic offshoot. Sickle cell is a genetic change, and mostly in African Americans, because it helps with the fight against malaria. Yet, the large majority of us don't have this disorder, and we never developed the genetic change.

Those who say there is no reason for homosexuals in a biological sense, probably haven't sat down to try and think about why homosexuals may be a normal occurrence in human biology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There are quite a few "reasons" for homosexuality.

It could be population overgrowth, as instances in China are estimated to be considerably higher than advertised (China has a very harsh policy against homosexuality, if I were going to be killed for openly stating my feelings, I'd lie to)

In times past, homosexuals were used to help in the rearing of children, and other roles where women and were to busy, and regular men were out doing other things.

There are lots of reasons why homosexuality could be a small genetic offshoot. Sickle cell is a genetic change, and mostly in African Americans, because it helps with the fight against malaria. Yet, the large majority of us don't have this disorder, and we never developed the genetic change.

Those who say there is no reason for homosexuals in a biological sense, probably haven't sat down to try and think about why homosexuals may be a normal occurrence in human biology.
Not that I totally disagree with you, but it has been documented frequently in other anmials, usually highly developed animals, highly intellectual animals. It's not just a human occurence.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Not that I totally disagree with you, but it has been documented frequently in other anmials, usually highly developed animals, highly intellectual animals. It's not just a human occurence.
Oh absolutely, I was just keeping with the species under discussion. Its been demonstrated in countless species as a normal behavior.

Of course, most of those who argue against gay rights or gay marriage are quick to point out, we aren't animals.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Yes but we aren't teaching Down Syndrome to our kids .
You can't teach homosexuality. You either are or you aren't.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You can't teach homosexuality. You either are or you aren't.
We don't know that, unless you are privy to some scientific study that hasn't been made public as of yet.

As for now, the best hypothesis is that its a combination of nature, and nurture.

For some, there could be a choice, for others, its probably a naturally occurring incident.

The truth is, at this time, there is no definitive scientific study to say one way or another.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:38 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
We don't know that, unless you are privy to some scientific study that hasn't been made public as of yet.

As for now, the best hypothesis is that its a combination of nature, and nurture.
Right, but it's not a conscious choice. I haven't seen a legitimate scientific study say otherwise.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
It seems to me there were homosexuals long before there were evil, liberal, gay agenda pushing, public schools and activist groups. I don't think the "we are teaching homosexuality" arguement holds water.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
I am a gay male republican myself, so please listen to me. Being gay is NOT a choice. Why would I want to choose to be a minority? Furthermore, if it was TRULY natural to be heterosexual, then why, oh why, am I not truly attracted to women? Nature is a powerful thing. If it was natural to be heterosexual, then I would be heterosexual. But at the end of the day, I have no sexual/physical attraction to women. The most beautiful naked woman in the world does nothing for me. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but that's just the way it is. Homosexuality is a real, natural thing. I'm surprised, however, in this day and age that there is no concrete evidence as to the cause of homosexuality.

Who the hell are you (straight people) to validate our (gay people) relationships? We want LESS government, and that goes for social issues as well.

With that said, I am still a republican, but I strongly disagree with Montana and Texas GOP platforms' proposal to outlaw homosexuality. How the hell can they outlaw something that's a natural occurrence? Thank God I live in Connecticut.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:53 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,704 times
Quote:
Oh absolutely, I was just keeping with the species under discussion. Its been demonstrated in countless species as a normal behavior.

Of course, most of those who argue against gay rights or gay marriage are quick to point out, we aren't animals.
lol, totally. Of course, we are animals. I mean I hate admitting it. I like to think of us as slightly more "refined" then my monkey relatives, but hey, looking at some of these posts over the past few days, one might wonder.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am a gay male republican myself, so please listen to me. Being gay is NOT a choice. Why would I want to choose to be a minority? Furthermore, if it was TRULY natural to be heterosexual, then why, oh why, am I not truly attracted to women? Nature is a powerful thing. If it was natural to be heterosexual, then I would be heterosexual. But at the end of the day, I have no sexual/physical attraction to women. The most beautiful naked woman in the world does nothing for me. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but that's just the way it is. Homosexuality is a real, natural thing. I'm surprised, however, in this day and age that there is no concrete evidence as to the cause of homosexuality.

Who the hell are you (straight people) to validate our (gay people) relationships? We want LESS government, and that goes for social issues as well.

With that said, I am still a republican, but I strongly disagree with Montana and Texas GOP platforms' proposal to outlaw homosexuality. How the hell can they outlaw something that's a natural occurrence? Thank God I live in Connecticut.
A Gay Republican? You should run for office, seems like there are lots of people who meet your minority group there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies