Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:07 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Let the state cut back their budgets and make room in their budgets for education. It's the only way these tax & spenders will learn.
As far as I can tell from the headlines I've been reading over the past year, many states are on the brink of bankruptcy, thanks to the mortgage industry debacle initiated by President Bush's push to sell houses. Since so many foreclosures have resulted, which directly impact state and local revenues, the situation is dire.

Making pronouncements like yours without considering the situation at hand is like advising a drowning person to learn to swim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 04:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Obama is on the campaign trail today for the Democrats up for re-election. He said he's going to cut back. He blames the Republicans and wants you to re-elect the Dems so they can do what's best for America.

Well, I just don't see how it's only the Republican's fault as they are not the majority in Congress.
I also cannot see how he plans to cut the spending while pushing spending bills and bailing out everyone in America.

It's campaign talk and I wonder if American's will buy it this time round.
Honestly though..whether you vote them back into office or pick fresh faces, I don't see that's it's going to make a lick of difference regarding the path America is currently on.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
As far as I can tell from the headlines I've been reading over the past year, many states are on the brink of bankruptcy, thanks to the mortgage industry debacle initiated by President Bush's push to sell houses. Since so many foreclosures have resulted, which directly impact state and local revenues, the situation is dire.

Making pronouncements like yours without considering the situation at hand is like advising a drowning person to learn to swim.
It's not just housing. Many states put their money into those toxic swaps offered by the likes of BofA and GS. California even went so far as to put their teacher pension funds into speculative RE ventures.

What the heck kind of "sound conservative" investing is that with people's retirement money ???

Old 06-30-2010, 05:23 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Oh, please. The Republicans have filibustered themselves to a fare thee well obstructing andy Hope and Change that Obama had in mind. Now you criticize the results. Typical.

H
How was it possible for republicans to obstruct or filibuster the democrats, when the democrats had super majorities? It was not, so your argument is false.

What more did the democrats want??? They had the presidency, and super majorities in both houses, and the that was not sufficient enough for them to pass their agenda. Putz.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:28 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The federal government needs to just stop spending more and more money that we do not have.

Democrats add teacher money to war funding bill - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100630/ap_on_go_co/us_congress_war_funding - broken link)

"WASHINGTON – House Democrats, who are trying to pass a long-stalled war funding bill this week, have attached $10 billion to help local school districts avoid teacher layoffs when schools reopen.

The approximately $70 billion measure is anchored by President Barack Obama's $30 billion request for the troop surge in Afghanistan and contains money for disaster aid accounts, foreign aid and disability benefits for Vietnam veterans exposed to Agent Orange."

What happened to PAYGO? Let the state cut back their budgets and make room in their budgets for education. It's the only way these tax & spenders will learn.
Its like the dems are INTENTIONALLY trying to destroy this nation, they know they can't pass ANY bill without paying for it so they decide to cheapen the legislative process to a whorehouse by piggybacking unpaid bills with bills that need to be passed... its like they are holding Americans as hostages to get their social programs... unbelievable...

Old 06-30-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its like the dems are INTENTIONALLY trying to destroy this nation, they know they can't pass ANY bill without paying for it so they decide to cheapen the legislative process to a whorehouse by piggybacking unpaid bills with bills that need to be passed... its like they are holding Americans as hostages to get their social programs... unbelievable...
They are in essence, raising our taxes thru the roof. How in the hell are we supposed to pay back over $3 trillion in deficit spending unless we, the taxpayers, pay for it?

Who needs to pass legislation to raise our taxes, when you can just run up $3 trillion in deficits, and then claim shock and dismay at the huge debt we owe, and then claim we all need to do our part and pay more in taxes.

I'm sure these fools will use the lame duck congress run up the deficit as high as possible. Then in 2011 they and 0bama complain about how high the debt is, and how we need to raise taxes and cut the living hell out of the military, and any other program they despise.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obama is on the campaign trail today for the Democrats up for re-election. He said he's going to cut back. He blames the Republicans and wants you to re-elect the Dems so they can do what's best for America.

Well, I just don't see how it's only the Republican's fault as they are not the majority in Congress.
I also cannot see how he plans to cut the spending while pushing spending bills and bailing out everyone in America.

It's campaign talk and I wonder if American's will buy it this time round.
Honestly though..whether you vote them back into office or pick fresh faces, I don't see that's it's going to make a lick of difference regarding the path America is currently on.
The democrats have been in charge of the legislation and they had control of the purse strings, and we went about $5 trillion in debt in 3.5 years.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Then what? They're still going to be on the payroll. Still going to have to house them and render medical services. And think of all the revenues businesses will be losing thru military discounts. And the airline loss of revenues between the U.S. and the middle east and/or europe.

For starters they can start protecting our borders! The airline loss would be washed by the money saved from all the illegals who'd be gone. What do you think it's costing us in in health care alone for all these illegals!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
The insanity will never end until a Libertarian President is elected (or otherwise put in power), and begins to dismantle the federal monstrosity.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Just wait until these states have to start paying for Obama's unfunded health care mandate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies