Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:39 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
maybe it was bent bow sorry it is a great term.
Lol No problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 04:52 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I used to scare the hell out of the idiot freaks who used to try hunting on my land. Brave hunters ? hahahahahahah NOT.
I, on the other hand, have had one or two head buttin' contests with wacko bunny huggers trying to disrupt hunting activities on my land. That door swings both ways. Self righteous activists bwahahahahhaha. There are people who take to the field claiming to be hunters, and there are those who ARE hunters, the latter of which , it seems, you have not encountered. Shame. I think if some folks who stereotype hunters actually swung up on a horse and went out with real honest to God hunters,perhaps when the quarry in mind were something like a stock killing cat, it might open some eyes a bit. Not all hunting is done with 'sport' or trophies in mind. To some of us it is a required skill that has to be done. Whether for meat or to protect ourselves, the skill set is the same. The variable is the habits of the animal being hunted, and whether said animal may be hunting YOU in return.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
In Michigan you can get a ticket for hunter harassment.

Of course, not on your own land.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:26 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
That term was invented centuries ago. It's a good description especially of a blackpowder gun (flintlock, caplock, matchlock...).

Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That term was invented centuries ago. It's a good description especially of a blackpowder gun (flintlock, caplock, matchlock...).
thanks for the clarification I had never heard the term and I like it even better now that I know the origins

Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 PM

469 posts, read 579,014 times
Quote:
you must not have read the entire thread. I have already said I do eat meat from the store, not often but I do. I have also never said I am against hunting (if you do it for food) just not my cup of tea. I would like all hunters to use a cross bow and not the smoke pole (thanks driller1 I like that term) I have also acknowledged the horrors of the slaughter house. in the thread you replied to, I said if I had to do the killing, I would turn to veggies. never said I was a better person because I don't hunt but I eat.
I went back and reread to make sure I didn't misunderstand you. I didn't. The last line is for the general forum reader. Not you specifically.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
In Michigan you can get a ticket for hunter harassment.

Of course, not on your own land.
It's the same here in NV. I have sen one or two people hauled off in cuffs for harassing hunters, and for other 'environmental activism' as well. Like shooting cattle on free graze, poisoning watering stations, you know, stuff that helps the environment and gets their message across.. We hunt. Proudly. I have never trophy hunted, and have passed up shots on rally big bulls and bucks in favor of a cow or doe, because the meat on the latter animals is far better than the former and that is why I hunt. One does not kill ones prime breeding stock if the herd is to remain strong. However, it is also a good practice to change up the blood here and there, and sometimes the old bull/buck needs to go and make way for the young blood. This also keeps the herd strong. So, I don't have an issue with a guy who wants to hunt horns, so long as said individual is willing to earn the prize. Hunting is a necessary practice. If someone does not want to hunt, then don't. To try and take it away from the rest of us because of some misguided sense of lofty moralism is just stupid.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
I went back and reread to make sure I didn't misunderstand you. I didn't.
not sure you do or perhaps it is me who doesn't understand your posts. you find my posts "unthinking"? because I buy my food at a store and don't hunt? think I am "fooling" myself about how food gets to market or that I think myself better person because I shop? I did point out that I am a hypocrite in that I eat meat on occasion and don't much care for hunting. however I doubt that would make one "incredibly ignorant" but then I guess we are both in the same boat as you said you too shop at the store for your food

Old 07-02-2010, 05:48 PM

469 posts, read 579,014 times
Quote:
not sure you do or perhaps it is me who doesn't understand your posts. you find my posts "unthinking"? because I buy my food at a store and don't hunt? think I am "fooling" myself about how food gets to market or that I think myself better person because I shop? I did point out that I am a hypocrite in that I eat meat on occasion and don't much care for hunting. however I doubt that would make one "incredibly ignorant" but then I guess we are both in the same boat as you said you too shop at the store for your food
You need to go back and read my post you clearly didn't understand it.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

It is an old Comanche term for long gun musket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies