Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
He can't ban hunting, but he can use his role in regulation making to advance his agenda here and there.
Agreed. He is in a powerful position. We don't really know what these guys are doing behind the scenes.

There are many well funded organizations working along the same lines, focused on animal rights and the ethical treatment of animals. They are extreme, and surprisingly enough, they are having an impact. As an example, consider Peta, the HSUS (which isn't what it claims to be), and look at who they are partnering with in their activism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sportsman are also some of the best stewards of the environment.

As much as I'd like to dismiss Sunstien as another left wing kook, the fact that he has a place in this administration tells me someone of importance values his opinion. He is a dangerous individual and his way off center opinions should not be discounted.
Agree on both counts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The president's propaganda guy Cass Sunstein, is very out of touch with rural America!
Damn City Slickers!

That is how I feed my family. He wants me to have to work, and buy steroid meat.

"We ought to ban hunting"
- Cass Sunstein, in a 2007 speech at Harvard University
OMG NO. You shouldn't have to work for your food. Steroid meat give me a break. You've never heard of organic I take it?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Smear: Cass Sunstein Is Going To Ban Hunting | Media Matters Action Network

A hypothetical statement, in a research paper on the ethics of animal treatment.

I disagree with it, but it'll never happen. He isn't putting a policy forward, but this is his view. Its a fringe view, that'll never make law.
"If we focus on suffering, as I believe that we should, it is not necessarily impermissible to kill animals and use them for food; but it is entirely impermissible to be indifferent to their interests while they are alive. So too for other animals in farms, even or perhaps especially if they are being used for the benefit of human beings. If sheep are going to be used to create clothing, their conditions must be conducive to their welfare. We might ban hunting altogether, at least if its sole purpose is human recreation. (Should animals be hunted and killed simply because people enjoy hunting and killing them? The issue might be different if hunting and killing could be justified as having important functions, such as control of populations or protection of human beings against animal violence.)"

What about feeding my family?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Hunting is necessary for the population control of many species, not to mention there are those who need to hunt for sustenance.
Sportsman are also some of the best stewards of the environment.

As much as I'd like to dismiss Sunstien as another left wing kook, the fact that he has a place in this administration tells me someone of importance values his opinion.
He is a dangerous individual and his way off center opinions should not be discounted.
Oooh please. Can you provide facts on that statement? That don't come from a pro-hunting, pro-gun, site.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Besides that hunters and fisherman pay taxes before it even gets to the store on eqauipment they use. They actaully pay for many of the parks we have plus wildlife would starve i mnay palces if not for them.he amount of money they pay is huge and it benefits even those that don't hunt. Asl any parks and wildlife officer who support land manageent and wildlife.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
"but it is entirely impermissible to be indifferent to their interests while they are alive."

I do have to agree with this. The conditions under which animals are "managed" (mismanaged, in truth) in commercial operations in many cases is absolutely horrendous.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Oooh please. Can you provide facts on that statement? That don't come from a pro-hunting, pro-gun, site.
Hunting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Hunting gives resource managers an important tool[16][17] in managing populations that might exceed the carrying capacity of their habitat and threaten the well-being of other species or, in some instances, damage human health or safety.[18] Hunting reduces intraspecific competition for food and shelter, reducing mortality among the remaining animals. Some environmentalists assert[who?] that (re)introducing predators would achieve the same end with greater efficiency and less negative effect such as introducing significant amounts of free lead into the environment and food chain. Hunters often disagree, arguing that hunting is more selective, removing fewer old, sick, or young animals than natural predation. Aldo Leopold, an early environmentalist and hunter, also believed hunting could be used to manage animal populations.
Management agencies sometimes rely on hunting to control specific animal populations, as has been the case with deer in North America. These hunts may sometimes be carried out by professional shooters although others may include amateur hunters. Many U.S. city and local governments hire professional and amateur hunters each year to reduce populations of animals that are becoming hazardous, like deer, in a restricted area, such as neighborhood parks and metropolitan open spaces.
A large part of managing populations involves managing the number and, sometimes, the size or age of animals harvested so as to ensure the sustainability of the population. Tools which are frequently used to control harvest are bag limits and season closures, although gear restrictions such as archery-only seasons are becoming increasingly popular in an effort to reduce hunter success rates
Maybe you would prefer packs of coyotes or mountain lions roaming your neighborhood to control the deer population?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
OMG NO. You shouldn't have to work for your food. Steroid meat give me a break. You've never heard of organic I take it?

Why should I have to exchange a paper bill, in order to feed my family, when the resources of my own private property, provides very well to feed my family. You sound jealous. Venison, Wild hog, Elk, that is about as organic as your going to get.

I have quite a few cows, and a couple of bulls. I know what goes through the auctions. You can tell those pumped and those fed only grass, hay and a mineral lick, like I do.
My father-in-law raised turkeys for Plantaion, the feed they supplied and water supplements full of growth steroids.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Hunting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you would prefer packs of coyotes or mountain lions roaming your neighborhood to control the deer population?
LOL wikipedia. Well because you see wikipedia as such a reputable source wiki search "ecological niche", you see a mountain lion who lives in the mountains can't just waltz down and live in a city just like that . At least not long term .

Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
how about hunting with only bow and arrow? give the animal more of a sporting chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies