Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:18 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
YOU can't find the quote, when I provided it to you in the "quote" box in the original post, and you posit Kagan is an idiot?! Au contrare my friend...you really should revisit your position.

No, I don't mean what they told you he said.

I mean what he really said, as in quote.

Please tell me this isn't what you are calling a quote.

Today, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) echoed classic Republican talking points under President Obama, lecturing the Supreme Court nominee about how Americans are “losing freedom,” and how we were more free “30 years ago.” Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) then responded to Coburn by pointing out that Coburn’s idea of a more “free” society was when women had fewer rights:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No, I don't mean what they told you he said.

I mean what he really said, as in quote.

Please tell me this isn't what you are calling a quote.

Today, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) echoed classic Republican talking points under President Obama, lecturing the Supreme Court nominee about how Americans are “losing freedom,” and how we were more free “30 years ago.” Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) then responded to Coburn by pointing out that Coburn’s idea of a more “free” society was when women had fewer rights:

Exactly. Coburn didn't say we were more free becasue women had fewer rights.

The democrat did. And she is clearly an idiot. Women had the exact same rights as men in 1980. More actually.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
We've had polls here on that question before. In general, conservatives believe we had more freedom in the 1950s than we do today. I'm not sure how anyone can think that, but they do.
I have never seen those polls and would be interested in what questions they asked.

There is no doubt that we were more free in many many ways in the 1950s. Just a tiny example or two; you could ride a bicycle without a helmet then. You could drive without a seatbelt.

Government restrictions have grown geometrically since the 50s.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
It is very wrong to take the word of One, and link it to a whole group, Please do not speak for the majority, in whatever one person says, should not be lumped within the whole party. Unless your now a mind reader, and can read people's mind.

It's even worse to take the word of someone and link it to a whole group when they didn't say what they are said to have said.

And I'm STILL waiting for that quote.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM

615 posts, read 545,324 times
Women were better off when they lived as women, and not equal to males. When women start losing their jobs, and can't afford their lifestyle they are going to wish they were no longer "Independent!" The promoting of feminism was key to destroying society, now that we have we got a bunch of miserable women, who are now nothing more then a piece of meat.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
During the roaring 20s women were wet and wild
So are you implying that the "Greatest Generation", the WW2 generation in the US that is rapidly dying off, had mothers who didn't know how to be mothers and bad parenting in general? That's an oddly "radical feminist" position for you to take....

While the 1920s were a countercultural decade with a great deal of promiscuity, they were very firmly patriarchal.

The 1930s Depression put a stop to the wild times but further reinforced patriarchy ; while our current economic travails seem to be killing off patriarchy, the opposite effect of back then....

Old 07-01-2010, 05:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I have never seen those polls and would be interested in what questions they asked.

There is no doubt that we were more free in many many ways in the 1950s. Just a tiny example or two; you could ride a bicycle without a helmet then. You could drive without a seatbelt.

Government restrictions have grown geometrically since the 50s.
There actually was a woman in the US Senate in the 1950s, Margaret Chase Smith of Maine, who was even on Ike's list of potential VP candidates.

BTW what does Coburn think of the fact that the US was far more unionized in the '50s than today, and belief in laissez faire economics was at its 20th century low point?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Women were better off when they lived as women, and not equal to males. When women start losing their jobs, and can't afford their lifestyle they are going to wish they were no longer "Independent!" The promoting of feminism was key to destroying society, now that we have we got a bunch of miserable women, who are now nothing more then a piece of meat.
The feminist movement has had the unanticipated consequence of making it easy for men to shirk their responsibilities to the women they impregnate and the children they bring into the world. Out-of-wedlock births have never before been as high as they are today--all to the detriment of women and families. The end result has been a lowering of the status of women in this respect while elevating her status in the marketplace of the world.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
The "good old days" in this country usually apply to old white guys. Yes, the angry white male strikes again.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:56 PM

615 posts, read 545,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
The feminist movement has had the unanticipated consequence of making it easy for men to shirk their responsibilities to the women they impregnate and the children they bring into the world. Out-of-wedlock births have never before been as high as they are today--all to the detriment of women and families. The end result has been a lowering of the status of women in this respect while elevating her status in the marketplace of the world.
Seems about right to me. I don't if its men alone shirking their responsibilities, I think women have come to believe they don't need men too. The feminist movement is funny like that, they wanted women to be equal to men, now they are seeing being a man is not all grand, it comes with a lot of responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies