Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think that to say that McChrystal's appointment was the result of incompetence actually says that McChrystal was incompetent. Doesn't it? I mean, if McChrystal is a competent and effective leader of military troops, then he's not a bad choice. It's not like there haven't been disagreements between Presidents and generals in the past about how to get a job done. It's not like generals in the past haven't aired those disagreements publicly. Was Lincoln incompetent because as the war progressed he changed out generals?
I have been a little bit silly in this thread. But I will stand by at least part of the silliness. Obama does have an aversion to all things military. He didn’t have a clue about McChrystal when he picked him. However it was a clear consensus among all the players, including Petreaus (sp) the Democrats and the Republicans that McChrystal was the guy for the job. On that you cannot say Obama was incompetent.

One can take issue with Obama for not knowing a blessed thing about the guy even after the appointment when they first met. One can take issue with the fact that there is such a rift between the civilians and the Army in Afghanistan. Both of these point to a certain incompetence on Obama’s part. Or worse, a willful intent to both appear to be supportive of the military while at the same time working at cross purposes thru his civilian proxies (Holbrook and Eikenberry sp). Either way it doesn’t show Obama in a good light.

This whole thing blew up because of McChrystal’s frustration with the situation related to Obama’s handpicked civilian leaders in the theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Well, it's obvious who DOESN'T have military experience. Do you really think it was JUST President Obama who picked him? Do you think he pulled a name out of his hat? Do you seriously think there was no other input or advice from oh, let's say...THE JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF? What about CENTCOM?! Do you not think there was any input there? SECDEF Gates, who was a Bush holdover, do you think he had no input?

Seriously people, you're getting too easy to debunk and show the hypocrisy. Don't get me wrong, it's easier on me, but the ridiculousness of your assertions is like an assault on one's reason and basic intellect. Like fingernails on a chalk board...Republicans and reason.

Great job there wingers! Great job! Now smile for the cameras.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I have been a little bit silly in this thread. But I will stand by at least part of the silliness. Obama does have an aversion to all things military. He didn’t have a clue about McChrystal when he picked him. However it was a clear consensus among all the players, including Petreaus (sp) the Democrats and the Republicans that McChrystal was the guy for the job. On that you cannot say Obama was incompetent.

One can take issue with Obama for not knowing a blessed thing about the guy even after the appointment when they first met. One can take issue with the fact that there is such a rift between the civilians and the Army in Afghanistan. Both of these point to a certain incompetence on Obama’s part. Or worse, a willful intent to both appear to be supportive of the military while at the same time working at cross purposes thru his civilian proxies (Holbrook and Eikenberry sp). Either way it doesn’t show Obama in a good light.

This whole thing blew up because of McChrystal’s frustration with the situation related to Obama’s handpicked civilian leaders in the theater.
So, you don't agree with this thread, then. You don't think McChrystal's appointment was an example of incompetence, at all. You think that there are other instances of incompetence in regards to Afghanistan, but McChrystal's appointment was actually sound?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
King BoBo reigns from atop his high throne...far above his lowly subjects. His lackies (czars) are ready and willing to iron out any wrinkles in his incompetence and gross inexperience.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think pommysmommy is onto something. Obama appointed McChrystal in May 2009, a mere 4 months into his Presidency. Considering that Obama had zero experience in foreign affairs and war-time strategy, he would have entirely leaned on experienced government players for insight to make his selection.
Ahhh.. More wild ass guesses.

Having some personal insight into how the Defense Department selects commanders, I assure you that the account above is very quaint. Not particularly informed, but quaint in that naive, droll, outsider-just-guessing sorta way.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
you wanna scream, incompetent at obama? the general was doing an ok job all along, enough so that he was given the position. were you screaming obama was incompetent then? now after the general himself screws up you wanna blame the president for the general's own stupidity. had the general been on his game enough to keep his mouth shut, his men's mouth shut I dare say he would still be doing the job. the general screwed up. move on. game over. if you want to compare generals the one now in charge has more "hands on" experience in war, enough so that he has a CIB, silver star w/valor unlike our newly retired general. either way we are in a war we can't win. the only thing to come of this is more of our own dead as well as dead innocents with a few enemy thrown in for good measure. very sad.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:21 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't know why people act the the POTUS is supposed to be some sort of super-human, expert at everything. If that was true we wouldn't need government at all...just ONE almighty ruler. Obama picked him because that's who the folks who's job it actually is to know about these things suggested. Any other POTUS would have done, HAS DONE, the exact same thing.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 AM

88 posts, read 75,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
My guess.......incompetence.
Desperation.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know why people act the the POTUS is supposed to be some sort of super-human, expert at everything. If that was true we wouldn't need government at all...just ONE almighty ruler. Obama picked him because that's who the folks who's job it actually is to know about these things suggested. Any other POTUS would have done, HAS DONE, the exact same thing.
Yup. As I noted in another thread, the general was recommended by SecDef Gates and the Joint Chiefs and confirmed by Congress. Did the OP's congress person approve the nomination? If so, maybe s/he should take it up with him/her.

Must be a slow news day.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Must be a slow news day.
Just another excuse to bash Obama. I swear it's the only hobby many people have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies