U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 AM

27,623 posts, read 19,658,150 times

Advertisements

Dolphins, bigger creatures swim, die in the muck
Fires on the ocean
Oil everywhere
Birds and booms

BP Slick
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:24 AM

15,397 posts, read 21,153,873 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...n-finally.html

Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,839,094 times
Its horrible, absolutely horrible. Im all for drilling, as long as its done safely. I do fault BP, if reports are correct that the concrete wasnt done right. I also fault the government in how they have handled this. A complete disaster on BP's side and the governments side.
And youd think the people who are always screaming about the environment, would do more to try and help get clean up done, not point fingers or say/do nothing.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 AM

36,312 posts, read 23,661,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Dolphins, bigger creatures swim, die in the muck
Fires on the ocean
Oil everywhere
Birds and booms

BP Slick

It's terrible, and just think...all that it took was $71,051 in campaign contributions to make the Obama administration look the other way while BP rolled the dice in the Gulf.

BP: Recipients | OpenSecrets

The Interior Department exempted BP's calamitous Gulf of Mexico drilling operation from a detailed environmental impact analysis last year, according to government documents, after three reviews of the area concluded that a massive oil spill was unlikely.

U.S. exempted BP's Gulf of Mexico drilling from environmental impact study

Well, at least the liberals can't blame this on Cheney and Dubya.

The free passes were issued in 2009 and 2010 under the Obama Administration. In fact, even after the spill was well underway, Obama's MMS was still issuing categorical exemptions to offshore drilling rigs.

In the wake of the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, the Department of the Interior’s Minerals Management Service (MMS) has continued to issue “categorical exclusions” for oil companies, allowing them to bypass the last stage of environmental review before proceeding with drilling projects, an Interior Department official told ABC News Wednesday.

Interior Department Continues to Issue

Last edited by momonkey; 07-01-2010 at 12:45 AM..

Old 07-01-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Its horrible, absolutely horrible. Im all for drilling, as long as its done safely. I do fault BP, if reports are correct that the concrete wasnt done right. I also fault the government in how they have handled this. A complete disaster on BP's side and the governments side.
And youd think the people who are always screaming about the environment, would do more to try and help get clean up done, not point fingers or say/do nothing.

The majority party has to act to take control away from the administration. Obama is either incapable or unwilling to deal with the situation.

“We are in emergency mode and we need skimmers,” Brown said. “We need the big ones. I understand they’re available in other countries, including Mexico and Norway. What is the process for the state to utilize these vessels from other countries? … We’re talking about protecting Florida’s coast.”
When Brown asserted there were only 30 skimmers working off the coast of Florida, Cook countered there actually 110. “We don’t have enough,” Brown responded. “What is the process for the state to take advantage of skimmers from other countries?”
At one point during the hearing, Democrats were making a more appealing case for waiving the Jones Act than their Republican counterparts. The 1920 law regulates movement on U.S. waters and between ports, restricting where foreign ships are able to dock. With the State Department acknowledging it has received more than 20 aid offers, critics have questioned why the administration simply won’t suspend the law in a time of crisis.

» Democrats Make the Case for Jones Act Waiver - Big Government

Old 07-01-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's terrible, and just think...all that it took was $71,051 in campaign contributions to make the Obama administration look the other way while BP rolled the dice in the Gulf.

BP: Recipients | OpenSecrets

The Interior Department exempted BP's calamitous Gulf of Mexico drilling operation from a detailed environmental impact analysis last year, according to government documents, after three reviews of the area concluded that a massive oil spill was unlikely.

U.S. exempted BP's Gulf of Mexico drilling from environmental impact study

Well, at least the liberals can't blame this on Cheney and Dubya.

The free passes were issued in 2009 and 2010 under the Obama Administration. In fact, even after the spill was well underway, Obama's MMS was still issuing categorical exemptions to offshore drilling rigs.

In the wake of the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, the Department of the Interior’s Minerals Management Service (MMS) has continued to issue “categorical exclusions” for oil companies, allowing them to bypass the last stage of environmental review before proceeding with drilling projects, an Interior Department official told ABC News Wednesday.

Interior Department Continues to Issue
I did not post this to start a partisan thread...

NY Times falsely reports that Obama took BP PAC money for 2008 campaign

The New York Times reported that "in the 2008 election cycle," Barack Obama "took in $77,000" from BP "executives and its political action committee." In fact, Obama received $71,051 in BP-linked donations in 2008, and all of that money came from BP employees, not from BP's PAC, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

Motor City Liberal: NY Times falsely reports that Obama took BP PAC money for 2008 campaign

Yeah, we all know that Bush/Cheney and their policies never had a cause and effect outcome on any present day problems.

So I am assuming that you agree that Obama did the right thing by making BP pay and you do not agree with the right wing bought and paid for reps that think it is a "shakedown"...right?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I did not post this to start a partisan thread...

NY Times falsely reports that Obama took BP PAC money for 2008 campaign

The New York Times reported that "in the 2008 election cycle," Barack Obama "took in $77,000" from BP "executives and its political action committee." In fact, Obama received $71,051 in BP-linked donations in 2008, and all of that money came from BP employees, not from BP's PAC, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

Motor City Liberal: NY Times falsely reports that Obama took BP PAC money for 2008 campaign

Yeah, we all know that Bush/Cheney and their policies never had a cause and effect outcome on any present day problems.

So I am assuming that you agree that Obama did the right thing by making BP pay and you do not agree with the right wing bought and paid for reps that think it is a "shakedown"...right?

My link was from opensecrets.org. Fight strawmen on your own time.

Whether or not Bush/Cheney policies caused present day problems has nothing to do with this environmental disaster. The safeguards that were in place to prevent risk-taking of the sort that BP engaged in were set aside under the Obama Administration in 2009 and 2010.

Do I agree that setting up a political slush fund while oil gushes into the Gulf was a wise use of time and energy that could have been better used to obtain some of that help other nations have been offering for two months?

Mmm, not so much.

I case you still haven't figured it out, Obama is a sociopath. He is capable of anything to get what he wants. If oil continuing to flow into the Gulf is what is needed to get his vote-buying machine funded, then oil will continue to flow into the Gulf. I liken it to Hitler flooding the sewer system filled with injured German solders to slow the advance of the Russians and thereby gain a few more hours in the bunker.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
My link was from opensecrets.org. Fight strawmen on your own time.

Whether or not Bush/Cheney policies caused present day problems has nothing to do with this environmental disaster. The safeguards that were in place to prevent risk-taking of the sort that BP engaged in were set aside under the Obama Administration in 2009 and 2010.

Do I agree that setting up a political slush fund while oil gushes into the Gulf was a wise use of time and energy that could have been better used to obtain some of that help other nations have been offering for two months?

Mmm, not so much.

I case you still haven't figured it out, Obama is a sociopath. He is capable of anything to get what he wants. If oil continuing to flow into the Gulf is what is needed to get his vote-buying machine funded, then oil will continue to flow into the Gulf. I liken it to Hitler flooding the sewer system filled with injured German solders to slow the advance of the Russians and thereby gain a few more hours in the bunker.

Aren't you dizzy from spinning so much?

You are repeating the rhetoric. So you do think that BP paying for their recklessness is a shakedown...that's all I asked. Why didn't you just say yes? BTW...Your analogy is quite bizarre. Help was accepted and you would know that if you listened to or read real news.

Q: Did Obama turn down foreign offers of assistance in cleaning up the Gulf oil spill? Did he refuse to waive Jones Act restrictions on foreign-flag vessels?

A: No to both questions. So far, five offers have been accepted and only one offer has been rejected. Fifteen foreign-flag vessels are working on the cleanup, and none required a waiver.

Oil Spill, Foreign Help and the Jones Act | FactCheck.org

Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 AM

8,862 posts, read 16,117,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
It's horrible, absolutely horrible. Im all for drilling, as long as its done safely. I do fault BP, if reports are correct that the concrete wasn't done right. I also fault the government in how they have handled this. A complete disaster on BP's side and the government's side.
And you'd think the people who are always screaming about the environment, would do more to try and help get clean up done, not point fingers or say/do nothing.
I believe a subcontractor, perhaps Halliburton, was responsible for the concrete--attempting to make a repair?

All entities/parties involved share accountability.

A review of the use of the apostrophe might be in order.

I believe many in the Gulf are attempting to do what they can and apparently there isn't much that volunteers can do at this point.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:57 AM

69,364 posts, read 60,477,082 times
Quote:
Aren't you dizzy from spinning so much?
Lets talk about spinning shall we?
Quote:
Q: Did Obama turn down foreign offers of assistance in cleaning up the Gulf oil spill? Did he refuse to waive Jones Act restrictions on foreign-flag vessels?

A: No to both questions. So far, five offers have been accepted and only one offer has been rejected. Fifteen foreign-flag vessels are working on the cleanup, and none required a waiver.

Oil Spill, Foreign Help and the Jones Act | FactCheck.org
The A doesnt answer the question..
If NONE required a waiver, was Jones Act waived? Yes, 70+ days LATER..

Why dont you find a better source for information than then spincheck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies