Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
I don't believe it should go on forever, but I was at Tier 1, then when that ends I guess I'll go to EB, if that is still available. Don't even know for sure if it is.
I thought I had more time.

Things looked a little better, more openings, etc. And I have been applying each and every day but, (at least here), there are 200-300 people applying for each job. It is awful!

Even though I know it won't happen, I wish they would research and realize seniors (but not yet 62) are not getting the jobs. Maybe lower social security age. I don't know. And no, I used my retirement to pay my bills so that is gone.

I'm not the only one this is happening to. This is widespread and no, I do not know the solution. One thing I have done is sign up for a nonprofit program that places seniors in minimum wage part-time jobs. But, the waiting list is 300 people so don't know if it will be helpful in time or not. I'm not sure what is going to happen. I've never not worked before.
If you've spent your retirement money in the span of 99 weeks, when did you plan to retire may I ask ?? Not to be mean mind you..but if you spent all your retirement in less then 2 years then you wouldn't have lasted too long if you did retire at 62. Did you have a rainy day fund ? Were you high in debt ? Did you not plan to retire for another decade or so ?

I'm just curious at to the state of your finances when you got layed off and what your retirement plans were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 06:44 PM

229 posts, read 573,686 times
I lost a lot of it when all the stocks were going crazy, (I'm not the only one this happened to), which is why I decided to take it out. Stupid on my part and yes, I did (and do) plan on working until I'm 74, or at least 66. Unfortunately, I've always worked nonprofit so 401k's were never that great, but I could have lived comfortably enough if I would have been able to keep working until I could retire.

Then, because I took it out, unemployment didn't kick in until last June so no, I haven't had 99 weeks. Only 58. I thought with the way the tiers looked (at least here in MN), it went from Tier 1 to EB and the other tiers went away, so don't think I'll get 99 weeks.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:42 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,836,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Go take a stroll in the unemployment section of this forum and you might change your stance. A lot of these people are getting $500 a week so they will refuse any job offered to them under that. I don't even make near that working full time.

and there's the REAL reason you are po'd about UE extensions. If someone is getting "the max" on UE it's because they were earning enough to be eligible for that amount.

Too bad you never will be.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
I lost a lot of it when all the stocks were going crazy, (I'm not the only one this happened to), which is why I decided to take it out. Stupid on my part and yes, I did (and do) plan on working until I'm 74, or at least 66. Unfortunately, I've always worked nonprofit so 401k's were never that great, but I could have lived comfortably enough if I would have been able to keep working until I could retire.

Then, because I took it out, unemployment didn't kick in until last June so no, I haven't had 99 weeks. Only 58. I thought with the way the tiers looked (at least here in MN), it went from Tier 1 to EB and the other tiers went away, so don't think I'll get 99 weeks.
Thank you for the reply. I wish you luck for your future. I hope you find something. You might want to call your local UE office and clarify what you do qualify for. And don't forget food stamps and food pantries.
That is what they are there for...please use them. I volunteer at a food pantry and middle class folks are coming in but you can tell that is the last place they want to be and feel embarrassed to be taking handouts.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 PM

229 posts, read 573,686 times
You're welcome and thank you. I've thought about the food shelves but there are so many people/families who need them more than me. One of the things I did do with the money I had left was stock up on food and paper products, which allowed me to then buy things when they came on sale rather than when I ran out.

I wish I'd put the 401k into an IRA, but I didn't. There was only $8000 left after the stock crashes and I was paranoid about losing any more and never thought for a minute that I would be out of work this long. Hindsight and all that.

I did talk to UE but they said they wouldn't know until they heard from congress. After viewing other posts, I do think I am eligible for the EB tho because MN is on the list for that.

That's wonderful that you are volunteering- that is something I should be looking into. Have worked nonprofit all my life and it would keep me in the heartbeat of the field.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM

81 posts, read 285,118 times
Default Why summer break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It looks as if the unemployed are screwed until after summer break.

Congrats, GOP, and so much for compassionate conservatism
Totally agree with you, however; what do you mean summer break? after the fourth is what I heard, their one week vacation.

The bill S.3520 entitled "The unemployment Insurance Act of 2010" is to be on the agenda on July 12th.

JANDJANDS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies