Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times

Advertisements

EXCERPT

Latina girls' high school drop-out rate highest in U.S.
National NOW Times, Fall 2001 by Vives, Olga
NOW Foundation is a part of the Combined Federal Campaign! #1120

by Olga Vives, Vice President-Action, with research by Kristy McCray, Communications Intern

The much publicized Education Reform Act, the first bill introduced in Congress by allies of George W. Bush, languishes in Congress without the votes necessary to become law, and the prospects for passing such legislation at this point seem slim.

"Leave no child behind," a phrase lifted by Bush from the Children's Defense Fund, rings hollow. His performance as Governor of Texas reveals the hypocrisy of his words: the state ranks among the highest in high school dropout rates. Thirteen percent of Hispanic students drop out of high school compared to 11 percent of African-American and 6 percent of white students.

Latina girls' high school drop-out rate highest in U.S. National NOW Times - Find Articles

EXCERPT

Spencer Michels examines efforts to lower Hispanic dropout rates in schools around the country.

SPENCER MICHELS: For years, studies have shown that the chances that a Hispanic child would drop out of school have been greater than for any other group. At age 16, Aaron Chavez dropped out of a San Jose, California, high school.
AARON CHAVEZ: I guess you could say I started going to drugs, and started hanging out with the wrong crowd.

SPENCER MICHELS: With gangs?

AARON CHAVEZ: Yeah, with gangs.

SPENCER MICHELS: Chavez, whose schoolwork had been good, but then declined, says some teachers were pushing him out.

AARON CHAVEZ: There was a teacher that would stereotype people like gang members, and he would pick at them. No shame. It was putting me down.

SPENCER MICHELS: In his junior year, he quit Mount Pleasant High School, which is 50 percent Hispanic. Researchers believe that between 40 to 50 percent of young Hispanics leave school before finishing, or in the case of many immigrants, never attend.

According to the Pew Hispanic Center, Hispanics continue to have the highest dropout rate of any ethnic group, although the graduation rates for black and American Indian youth are almost equally low. A 2005 study by Harvard and the Urban Institute found that only 54 percent of Hispanic males in California graduate from high school, compared to 71 percent for all students.

Online NewsHour: Hispanic Youths More Likely to Drop Out of High School, Studies Show -- April 26, 2005
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 12:05 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariferscearce View Post
Unfortunately, the blacks and their laziness can be seen in their work performance when fighting over menial labor force or wages. If that is so, it is usually against the "border hoppers." These people talking all this trash about the Mexicans or any other Latin American nationality, because not all of them are from Mexico, appearently has never seen a black person "work" a full shift like a "*******" would work.
I happen to be married to a Southern White Man who grew up in the South and I have visited the South as well and have seen in person the mediocre performance of the majority of the "Blacks" that work just about anywhere. Yet, these same people have to take their anger for being a failure in life on unskilled people like themselves instead of going to school and getting truly educated.
I have not yet seen or heard a person (disregarding the race) complainting that their job is being taken or "stolen" by an immigrant (legal or illegal).
If these ignorant people only went to a four-year school and saw the majority of the staff, which is mainly foreign, they would realize that an education is one of the cures to their bitching and whinning about the "*******s." In my eyes, Blacks are too lazy to even go to school and get educated. Maybe that, too, explains why they have bigger drop out rates from high school and college than any other minority in our country who lacks to genuine striving people.
First I'll say you're going on and on about education when it seems as if it's failed you.

Have you thought about the little opportunity many minorities have in the impoverished cities? Have you thought about the poor school districts that serve these people, and the fact that these districts are so shoddy because of the ignorance of some people, which you proved to us very well in your post?

Just for clarification purposes, I have seen a minority work a full shift. Actually, I work with about half blacks and half whites, and the people who call out the most, are no-shows and are lazy are in fact, the white folks (yes, I'm white). Even when they do show up for a full shift, they complain, whine and pretend they're sick so they can go home. If you go into my place of business and look at what management has down on paper, I'd bet you'd find that most of the reliable employees there are, in fact, the black employees.

And you say you're married to a "Southern White Man?" Well, there's a surprise!

Who exactly do you think you are posting this? Do you realize how idiotic it sounds? I guess not or you wouldn't have posted it. Your comments are absolutely racist.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,869 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the blacks and their laziness can be seen in their work performance when fighting over menial labor force or wages. If that is so, it is usually against the "border hoppers." These people talking all this trash about the Mexicans or any other Latin American nationality, because not all of them are from Mexico, appearently has never seen a black person "work" a full shift like a "*******" would work.
I happen to be married to a Southern White Man who grew up in the South and I have visited the South as well and have seen in person the mediocre performance of the majority of the "Blacks" that work just about anywhere. Yet, these same people have to take their anger for being a failure in life on unskilled people like themselves instead of going to school and getting truly educated.
I have not yet seen or heard a person (disregarding the race) complainting that their job is being taken or "stolen" by an immigrant (legal or illegal).
If these ignorant people only went to a four-year school and saw the majority of the staff, which is mainly foreign, they would realize that an education is one of the cures to their bitching and whinning about the "*******s." In my eyes, Blacks are too lazy to even go to school and get educated. Maybe that, too, explains why they have bigger drop out rates from high school and college than any other minority in our country who lacks to genuine striving people.
About one year ago there was some storm sewer work being done in my neighborhood, there were hispanic crews and one black crew....guess what, the black crew out worked the hispanic crews two to one at least laying bricks...
And Houston has a 50 percent high school dropout rate and most of that is hispanic....

Old 06-21-2007, 01:53 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,156 times
Quote:
Many Many Millions of jobs have been stolen by illegals, I live in L.A. and I know. There is pressure by illegal immigration in jobs, health care big time, welfare, education, social security, all government services are overwhelmed and/or broken.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:57 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,156 times
Quote:
Do not be against Blacks! They are the Americans, not the illegals. Poor Blacks and Whites and others are having a tougher time now with low income wages depressed by illegal immigration. Start reading and learn something, you have been brainwashed against Blacks by some wrong teaching.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:59 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Do not be against Blacks! They are the Americans, not the illegals. Poor Blacks and Whites and others are having a tougher time now with low income wages depressed by illegal immigration. Start reading and learn something, you have been brainwashed against Blacks by some wrong teaching.
Well said!!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Not every hispanic is an illegal and after reading the article it doesn't indicate that the victim was an illegal. This type of violence is never justified and the child had none threatening injuries. What this shows is that blacks behave like wild animals and that if they wish to behave like this. Then go to Africa let that continent be the wildlife preserve. AGAIN, there was no illegal immigrant at the scene. ALL were Americans. The US isn't made up of two colors and "race". There are plenty of people of all colors and that must be respected. The US is a multi-cultural society and always will remain that way because this land is built by and for immigrants. You can't ever exclude someone and not call him an american. Because of his or her ethnicity.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:45 PM

125 posts, read 471,935 times
The news article states that the incident occurred during Juneteenth festival, but the mob that killed this man lives in the neighborhood, which was mostly mexican. Just as you want us to believe that "not every hispanic is an illegal",not every Black person is lazy or ignorant. America was built on the backs of the poor, whether that be indentured servants, slaves, pioneers, natives, white, black, brown, red, yellow or purple. Don't migrate to this country and bring your ignorant, hate-based generalizations, and then demand acceptance.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM

125 posts, read 471,935 times
Default And further more...

By the way, being married to a Southern White Man does not mean you have to be ignorant, intolerant and hateful. There are many intelligent, tolerant and caring Southern white men who don't fit that negative, racist stereotype that it seems everyone wants to slap in their faces. Get a Grip!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 04:32 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
The news article states that the incident occurred during Juneteenth festival, but the mob that killed this man lives in the neighborhood, which was mostly mexican. Just as you want us to believe that "not every hispanic is an illegal",not every Black person is lazy or ignorant. America was built on the backs of the poor, whether that be indentured servants, slaves, pioneers, natives, white, black, brown, red, yellow or purple. Don't migrate to this country and bring your ignorant, hate-based generalizations, and then demand acceptance.
Again, you are only showing your bias. Not every mexican migrates to this country and brings ignorant, hate-based generalizations, and then demand acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies