Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm really confused as to how you can think that? Can the government force insurance companies to lose money by charging less. If someone has AIDS, Cancer, Kidney Failure, Diabetes and Lupus, they will still be required by law to have health insurance. Do you think that a private company is going to insure them for like $100 a month? That's crazy. That would send insurance companies out of business.

Insurance companies must insure you, and you must buy insurance.

What am I missing? If an insurance company says, "your insurance will be $900 a month" and the government says every American must have insurance, if the government going to tell the insurance company they have to charge you less?

If the government is going to do that, then I'm sorry, I must have missed the press release.

We are going to be mandated to buy insurance. That is a cold hard fact. We can't buy it for less than the company charges, unless we are subsidized, and not everyone is going to qualify for that?

Where is my logic faulty? What did I miss?

Not trying to argue, I just truly don't understand how you can be so sure that insurance won't cost that much for anyone?
That is why the fine is so small. Understand..you do not get insurance and pay the annual fine instead. You get sick and THEN you go buy insurance and pay 1 month premium and voila..you are covered. Remember NO ONE can be turned down.

My advice to you..pay off your debts because the future isn't going to get any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:48 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is why the fine is so small. Understand..you do not get insurance and pay the annual fine instead. You get sick and THEN you go buy insurance and pay 1 month premium and voila..you are covered. Remember NO ONE can be turned down.

My advice to you..pay off your debts because the future isn't going to get any better.

LOL. Good point. No insurance needed, get cancer, pay monthly premium through treatment, cancel, rinse and repeat for next major illness.

We do have insurance, we are insured through my job. "I" won't actually have to pay the premium. I was trying to illustrate that not everyone can afford it, and not everyone qualifies for subsidies.

Kinda like financial aide for college. Many people get turned down for grants because they make too much money, but hardly any of them can actually pay out of pocket for tuition and books.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
I misrepresented nothing. People will be required to have insurance. You can not choose to be uninsured. If you can afford the $900 a month (if that's your premium for pre-existing conditions), you will have to buy it at $900 a month. Not everyone will qualify for subsidies. My husband an I make 6 figures plus, no kids, but we can't afford an extra $900 a month. Maybe we haven't managed our finances the best possible way, but we really couldn't come up with that... and we're not gonna qualify for subsidies making that kind of money.
You misrepresented everything. Again. Let me "shout" it into your ear, maybe that will help:

MANDATORY COVERAGE STARTS IN 2014.

THIS HIGH-RISK PREMIUM PROGRAM RUNS FROM NOW UNTIL 2014 - IT IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE MANDATE.

ONCE 2014 KICKS IN, SUBSIDIES WILL ALSO KICK IN FOR PEOPLE WHO REALLY NEED IT - AND PEOPLE WHO DEVELOP THINGS THAT WOULD QUALIFY AS PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE DROPPED BY THEIR INSURANCE COMPANIES.

This is not that difficult; it's all in that same article you posted. I can't make this any clearer for you.

Last edited by ambient; 07-01-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You misrepresented everything. Again. Let me "shout" it into your ear, maybe that will help:

MANDATORY COVERAGE STARTS IN 2014.

THIS HIGH-RISK PREMIUM PROGRAM RUNS FROM NOW UNTIL 2014 - IT IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE MANDATE.

ONCE 2014 KICKS IN, SUBSIDIES WILL ALSO KICK IN FOR PEOPLE WHO REALLY NEED IT - AND PEOPLE WHO DEVELOP THINGS THAT WOULD QUALIFY AS PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE DROPPED BY THEIR INSURANCE COMPANIES.

This is not that difficult; it's all in that same article you posted. I can't make this any clearer for you.
I don't know why they aren't listening to you, and I don't know why someone would be upset about having insurance. Never heard of anything like this. It's like a "know nothing" mentality

Old 07-02-2010, 02:40 AM

109 posts, read 446,735 times
The new bill is great. It means I can afford to get health care in the time between graduating from college and getting a job with health benefits (although those jobs don't exist anymore).

Also, the government mandate of healthcare is one of the better parts of the bill. Part of the reason health care is so expensive now is because doctors cannot and will not refuse to treat a patient. That means anyone can walk into an emergency room with no papers and get treated for free. Currently, you indirectly pay for that.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
After it passed the GOP promised to repeal it as soon as they are in power. You don't hear that anymore. There is still time to amend it, for example their tort reform can be enacted. A self-employed friend of mine, who will have to buy insurance, does not get too aggravated over it. Someone mentioned the war. Done correctly, a war can provide economic stimulus - it did during WW II.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In an earlier post she indicated that her and her husband make 6 figures plus so they do not qualify for any subsidy but they also cannot afford the monthly premium.
Well if her and her husband have insurance now, nothing changes. They have nothing to worry about and as another poster pointed out, the mandate does not go into effect until 2014. This is just another instance of people skewing facts and taking things out of context. Furthermore, if you have a chronic illness and no insurance, you will be paying more than $900 a month for medical expenses.

Our household income is also six figures and $900 a month would be a financial blow. However, if my life or the life of a family member depended on it, I would certainly give something up like maybe the $500/month car payment, the $200/month cable bill, some family vactions or some of those expensive dinners out. Fortunately, I only pay $90/month for myself and my two sons through my employer.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:53 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Done correctly, a war can provide economic stimulus - it did during WW II.
I don't think that's happening with Iraqistan.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Some people will be forced to buy plans up to $900 A MONTH~

Forced to buy it, up to $900 a month...

And some think this is a good thing?

Uninsured? New 'high risk' premiums costly - Health - Health care - msnbc.com
The only ones that believed in Obamacare are the idiots in Congress. They have their own customized health care for life!

Old 07-02-2010, 08:12 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Some people will be forced to buy plans up to $900 A MONTH~

Forced to buy it, up to $900 a month...

And some think this is a good thing?

Uninsured? New 'high risk' premiums costly - Health - Health care - msnbc.com
You may want to read your link. The high risk pools will be available to people who have nothing available due to previous condition. Yes, until 2014, high risk pools will be expensive. If you are in the situation that you need coverage, you can now get it. If you don't need it, wait til 2014. I don't think that would be a good idea, but you can make your choice. Yes indeed, it is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies