Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:50 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Well jeez... I'm single. Married people get tax benefits that I don't get... my employer should pay me more to compensate. I'm going to have to take this one up with my boss.
My employer pays me more than married couples to compensate for health insurance. They pay about 3 grand a year extra in health premiums for married people. I asked for the 3 grand on my paychecks.

Actually, they aren't paying them more or me more. We are getting paid the same amount. Just receiving compensation different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 02:57 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Some hetero is going to sue their pants off.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,013 times
Whites pay more of their income to taxes than Blacks, I suppose that this means that all Whites in my company should expect a pay increase to cover our burden.

Last edited by SouthBound47; 07-02-2010 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Hahahahaha. The irony in this thread is laughable. Thanks to republicans and other right-wingers it is perfectly legal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in most of the United States. You know how they start screaming about "special rights" whenever gays advocate for being treated equally under the law?

There is no federal law preventing an employer from firing someone because he or she is homosexual (or heterosexual) or from paying them unequally solely based on sexuality. Eric Holder couldn't do anything about this no matter how much he might want to. Only 20 states have written sexual orientation into their anti-discrimination civil rights statutes.

It's pretty darn funny though that for probably the first time in the history of the US when this perceived discrimination benefits a homosexual that the same right-wingers come out of the closet screaming about the injustice and demanding "special" rights for heterosexuals.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:03 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,753 times
Yahoo, here I come. I will no longer be using Google as my search engine. I had switched to Google from Yahoo as my primary search engine a number of years ago. No more. They are history.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:25 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Whites pay more of their income to taxes than Blacks, I suppose that this means that all Whites in my company should expect a pay increase to cover our burden.
Nice try, but fail.

Why should straight Google employees care? The net salary is the same, and neither gay singles nor straight singles can get the salary bump.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:09 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Nice try, but fail.

Why should straight Google employees care? The net salary is the same, and neither gay singles nor straight singles can get the salary bump.
They don't.

My boyfriend has worked for Google for most of his career and does very well from it. He works at a fairly major office with quite a few gay employees (many in committed relationships) and absolutely no one has a problem with it.

Basically, if a Google employee is covering their partner (who, even if they are married in Massachusetts, Iowa, or Vermont, are not considered married under federal tax law) under insurance, they pay an average of $1000 a year that a married couple would not have to. Google is simply covering that cost for those that do not have the ability to get those benefits. While I have the option of being covered very cheaply under my boyfriend's healthcare plan, we wouldn't qualify for the Google sponsored "tax break" because we have the option of getting married if we choose to. It's not that difficult to understand.

Why do you conservatives care what a private company does for their employees?

Google offers excellent benefits to all of their employees- gay or straight, single or married or in a LTR, regardless of age or gender. This is just one more way to continue attracting the best employees to increase productivity and continue to CREATE JOBS. God forbid.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:13 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
LOL at the CONservatives angry at Google.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
When did they put the sexual orientation question on the application forms? How would Google even know that a person was gay to be able to pay them more? If they are doing either of these things they leave themselves wide open for law suits.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:17 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
When did they put the sexual orientation question on the application forms? How would Google even know that a person was gay to be able to pay them more? If they are doing either of these things they leave themselves wide open for law suits.
When the Googler applies for health insurance for their partner, that will factor them in for the tax break.

Keep in mind that this does NOT cover single homosexuals. Just those that are prevented from being considered married by federal tax law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies