Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 PM

292 posts, read 544,020 times

Advertisements

Google needs their butts sued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Raise your hand if in the past 30 mins, you googled something? thought so.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Raise your hand if in the past 30 mins, you googled something? thought so.
I'm not going to stop using Google just because I think this policy is bad. Boycotts are stupid IMO and I've never participated in one. I'm sure there are plenty of things going on in companies that I disagree with, doesn't mean I won't keep buying whatever they are selling though.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:21 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
"On Thursday, Google is going to begin covering a cost that gay and lesbian employees must pay when their partners receive domestic partner health benefits, largely to compensate them for an extra tax that heterosexual married couples do not pay. The increase will be retroactive to the beginning of the year."

This doesn't mean they pay gay people more than straight people. They are making the playing field more even. The fee that they are compensating for does not even apply to straight married couples. And the extra subsidy doesn't apply to single gay people.

Spin, spin, spin.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:24 PM

221 posts, read 364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
A recent news article said that Google was going to insure fairness for its employees. Heterosexual couples enjoy tax advantages that gay couples do not, so this is an attempt to right that wrong. Good for them, I say.

Seems to me, as a single person... I don't get the same tax breaks as married couples either... so shouldn't I get a higher salary?

Always seemed backwards to me. As a single person I have no one to share expenses with, and yet my tax rate is higher?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
Seems to me, as a single person... I don't get the same tax breaks as married couples either... so shouldn't I get a higher salary?

Always seemed backwards to me. As a single person I have no one to share expenses with, and yet my tax rate is higher?
That's a great argument. It is an example of social engineering and control by gov't of our lives and life decisions, but let's see if the teabag folks want to attack that one.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post

You think that they are doing this because they give a crap about equal rights? They could care less, this is nothing more than a company who is serving political agenda and pissing on their employees to serve such. That company deserves the harsh response of a capitalistic system, one where the actions of the company results in the consumers speaking with their money and putting them out of business.

Not surprising that the lead lobbyist for Google is now part of the White houses administration.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:21 AM

860 posts, read 2,205,508 times
Nice to see a sophisticated company such as Google indirectly telling the fascist religious right of America to **** off.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:28 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
No you are WRONG. Although there many not be a federal law
Read the sentence again very slowly this time and then report back.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:55 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You think that they are doing this because they give a crap about equal rights? They could care less, this is nothing more than a company who is serving political agenda and pissing on their employees to serve such. That company deserves the harsh response of a capitalistic system, one where the actions of the company results in the consumers speaking with their money and putting them out of business.

Not surprising that the lead lobbyist for Google is now part of the White houses administration.
This was a bottom-up initiative within the majority-straight staff of the company. My boyfriend has been checking the list servs - NO backlash. And Google employees are not shy about disagreeing politically on the listservs.

If they don't like it, they can choose to go somewhere else. Google employees take a rather large pay cut to work there for both the benefits and the opportunities that exist within the company. Even with the horrible economy, if employees have a problem with what their private company does, they can find somewhere else to work. Isn't that always what Republicans say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies