Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
What do you guys think about Unions one way or the other. I grew up in Texas (Houston) which is basically a non union state. I see nothing but Union spouting ignorance here in California. I am beyond belief how brainwashed a lot of people are about how badly unions can hurt business and city budgets.

What do you guys think about Unions?

Outside of coal miners unions, I think they're past their usefulness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,678 times
Quote:
What do you guys think about Unions one way or the other. I grew up in Texas (Houston) which is basically a non union state. I see nothing but Union spouting ignorance here in California. I am beyond belief how brainwashed a lot of people are about how badly unions can hurt business and city budgets.

Personally, I still think that unions play an important role in the private sector and support them there... in the public sector, I'm not so sure.

In the public sector, I'm concerned about the same folks approving contracts (the politicians) asking for support from the very ones they will be negotiating with. Seems like those running for office shouldn't be in a position negotiating contracts with those they are asking favors from.

But again, in the private sector, I definitely think there is a place for unions.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:

Hm.....let's compare the economy in Texas and California? I think that sums it up.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:09 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:

Here in Boston the people who work for the public transit system (MBTA) belong to the carmen's union. The MBTA general manager was on TV a while back discussing some recent negotiations. MBTA workers have not had an increase in their health care premium contributions since 1984. The MBTA wanted to institute an increase and the union threatened to strike. Conductors on the MBTA commuter rail train earn 65-75K on average. That's not bad for walking up and down saying "tickets please" and then sitting down and reading the paper for the rest of the ride.
Meanwhile, fares have been increasing dramatically at a very steady rate, the MBTA is in massive debt, and our governor is looking for ways to drive money into the system. Some of the measures he wants to take would affect people's pockets in the Western part of the state who don't even have access to the MBTA. This is why unions need to go. Their ridiculous demands and bullying tactics are placing a huge burden on the tax paying public.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,891 times
I was a member of a laborers' union for five years, so I'm generally in favor of unions.

Are unions perfect? Of course not, but they are also not nearly as bad as the right wing makes them out to be. I'm more concerned with corporations shipping manufacturing, engineering, & IT jobs to China & India than I am with American unions.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I you work for anyone but yourself without a union to protect you from domineering tactics from your employer you are either desperate, live in an anti-union state or are a fool. The extreme right wing has been spouting owner paid for propaganda for ever but even more so since Ronnie Raygun broke the Traffic Controller's Union. That was when a generation raised on the results of strong unions turned against themselves.

At the time I expected every union in the country to back the A T Controllers and first shut down the airline industry by having the mechanics, stewards and pilots strike and if that didn't work shut down the freight transport by the Teamsters and the Railroad Unions. Unfortunately the pilots did not support the people that kept them safe. That was shameful.

I guess the unions, like the hear of the UAW said, “We got them so much money they thought they were Republicans". IMHO Union people do not vote Republican. Ever.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I you work for anyone but yourself without a union to protect you from domineering tactics from your employer you are either desperate, live in an anti-union state or are a fool. The extreme right wing has been spouting owner paid for propaganda for ever but even more so since Ronnie Raygun broke the Traffic Controller's Union. That was when a generation raised on the results of strong unions turned against themselves.

At the time I expected every union in the country to back the A T Controllers and first shut down the airline industry by having the mechanics, stewards and pilots strike and if that didn't work shut down the freight transport by the Teamsters and the Railroad Unions. Unfortunately the pilots did not support the people that kept them safe. That was shameful.

I guess the unions, like the hear of the UAW said, “We got them so much money they thought they were Republicans". IMHO Union people do not vote Republican. Ever.

Or....you're good at what you do and your employer's tactics are aimed at keeping you happy. Strong people who excel at their job can get along just fine without a union holding their hand. Maybe spineless libbies who can't stand up for themselves need a union to do their bidding.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Or....you're good at what you do and your employer's tactics are aimed at keeping you happy. Strong people who excel at their job can get along just fine without a union holding their hand. Maybe spineless libbies who can't stand up for themselves need a union to do their bidding.
And many spineless executives who signed contracts they knew would hurt their companies are just as responsible for their problems as the unions, especially as they ransack the company coffers for every nickel they can take, deserved or not.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:22 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Outside of coal miners unions, I think they're past their usefulness.

I don't know, when I'm on an airliner I kinda hope the folks up front are happy with their jobs.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:32 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
I have tried a few times in my life to get a job that was a union job but never could get on board. But I never was a Tote dat barge! Lift dat bale! sized kind of guy. So, having pre-conceived notions about a worker's ability and ethics, I took unions to be racist.

Been free lancing ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies