Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:04 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
So no mandated health care? But you're totally okay with a federal amendment banning same sex marriage? Where does the hypocrisy of the right end?
Bravo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 03:08 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Bravo!
An amendment is part of the constitution.

If they had an amendmend stating that "Everyone must wear pink speedos" then it's part of the constitution and a requirement.

You're comparing your hopes with amendments to the constitition?

An amendment on marriage would be the law of the land. The question is if it will pass or not. Once in, it's part of the constition, and constitutional.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:09 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
actually it's the states that do that.
See, libs always confuse the federal and the state government.
If you don't like what the state government wants you to do
you're always free to leave that particular state.

If the federal government can make you buy health insurance
then potentially it can make you buy anything including an American flag.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
In regards to same-sex marriage, it's not even tied in to the healthcare mandate. It's another strawman that can't prove a point because YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET MARRIED IN THE FIRST PLACE. just like with car insurance, you DON'T HAVE TO OWN A CAR

Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atizar View Post
Sorry to see you are working poor and have swallowed the right-wing propaganda, hook, line, and sinker. People voting against their best interests because some millionaire promised them that if they wish really hard that someday the wealth will trickle down to them, are a part of the health care problem (and other problems) in this country.
Sounds like you've "swallowed the left-wing propaganda, hook, line, and sinker."

How about you live your life and I live mine?

Oh, wait, I've read your posts... That's the problem with you guys - you can't just live and let live... Always gotta be telling people that you don't know and could never understand what's "in their best interest," and if they disagree, just call them stupid, ignorant, racist rednecks and force it down their throat anyway at the barrel of a gun.

On the "working poor" comment, you have no idea what you're talking about, so you can take the faux sympathy you've intermingled with that elitist attitude and put it back in the place you pulled it from - someplace warm, moist, dark and smelly.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In regards to same-sex marriage, it's not even tied in to the healthcare mandate. It's another strawman that can't prove a point because YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET MARRIED IN THE FIRST PLACE. just like with car insurance, you DON'T HAVE TO OWN A CAR
Also, they were comparing a law to an amendment. Completely wrong analogy. I realize some conservatives think an income tax isn't permissible, but it's been amended to the constitution. Once part of the constitution, it's part of it. So if there were a gay marriage ban, which I wouldn't support, it's the law of the land.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Again. Say, I'm a self-employed entrepreneur making $150K per year.
After all the expenses I have no cash to afford health insurance.
Am I going to be subsidized by the government or am I going to be fined or jailed?
Give me a break. Someone making 150K can easily afford a minimum catastrophic policy. People making way less than that can too. I sure don't want to be footing the bill for anyone's ER visits who makes 150K per year.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Give me a break. Someone making 150K can easily afford a minimum catastrophic policy. People making way less than that can too. I sure don't want to be footing the bill for anyone's ER visits who makes 150K per year.
You're wrong. If you make 150k and live in Manhattan, you're probably dirt poor. To be able to buy insurance, you would have to move somewhere else, get roommates. Money isn't the same everywhere. how much do you spend on rent? I live outside of DC and pay $1448 a month for a 1 BR apartment, and that's INCREDIBLY cheap for my area.

Also, a person making 150k a year probably has an education. Which cost them money.

YOu could be better off not having attended college making 45k and living in Kansas City, than going to college and living in manhattan.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Are you a liberal on welfare or poor? Sounds like you are. You have no idea how expensive it is to insure self-employed people including their family, and to provide health insurance for the employees (if any). And also what if you live in a high cost area like Los Angeles for example? What's 150k worth then? Not much. Oh and, do you realize that income tax for people making 150k is higher than others?

Old 07-02-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
An amendment is part of the constitution.

If they had an amendmend stating that "Everyone must wear pink speedos" then it's part of the constitution and a requirement.

You're comparing your hopes with amendments to the constitition?

An amendment on marriage would be the law of the land. The question is if it will pass or not. Once in, it's part of the constition, and constitutional.
With my "bravo" comment, I was saluting more the spirit of the post. There is a huge difference in what we want for our brothers in this country. Say access to health insurance vs sticking noses into peoples choices in love, marriage, and the like.

And the first thing a true libertarian or right winger should want if they were faithful to their principles is to keep their dang noses out of other peoples' wombs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies