Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,616,707 times

Advertisements

No;it just brings about the opportunity for human nature to effect some people. In most ways the person does not really change just gets the opportunity to show their nature really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,067,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
1) Both are works of fiction. What's your point?

2) The quote "Money is the root of all evil" is in common use, not just from the bible.
It's a common misquotation, true. I think AR was such a pompous "writer" that she wouldnt have had the humor to allow her devices -- em, characters -- to deliver a speech based on a mischaracterization -- have him later discover or be told he'd mischaracterized, etc, and the merry times that would ensue then.

But I do think she would deliberately mislead her readers, who dont know any better -- she would absolutely without question have a device deliver a speech based on a mischaracterization, to try to make her point.
Quote:
3) In what way is the fact that one particular sencence is in the bible invalidating the whole speach
Money itself, lying there on the ground, isnt the root of all evil, as AR sez. It's the love of money that causes problems, as 1st Timothy sez.

There's a word for AR's kind of bogus argument but I cant think of it right now.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:28 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,058,417 times
NINTH INSIGHT

By the year 2500, most humans will rely on and be guided by their intuitions. We will intuit precisely what to do, when to do it and in what way is harmonious with our surroundings. Human "wills" will work together in order to propel and create Heaven on Earth.

Money will cease to be a medium for the exchange of energy. We will be compensated for our insights and for our guiding and helping others with their higher understanding. This aspect of the Ninth Insight is already happening.

This is a quote from another work of fiction. It certainly gives one food for thought, so to speak. I have seen the barter system firsthand...and it works. There are may individuals that have gotten their money and material gains via lying, stealing, cheating and a host of other despicable means. They are not worthy of the comforts, favors or ease of life that money can buy. Therefore, only if you have some positive skill, product, knowledge or integral service than can be traded with another's skill, knowledge and service should you be allowed to prosper. Charity to the less fortunate should of course be part of the bigger picture. If you cut money out of the equation, we would have a more healthy, just and honorable society.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-02-2010 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 04:33 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,364,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It's a common misquotation, true. I think AR was such a pompous "writer" that she wouldnt have had the humor to allow her devices -- em, characters -- to deliver a speech based on a mischaracterization -- have him later discover or be told he'd mischaracterized, etc, and the merry times that would ensue then.

But I do think she would deliberately mislead her readers, who dont know any better -- she would absolutely without question have a device deliver a speech based on a mischaracterization, to try to make her point.
Money itself, lying there on the ground, isnt the root of all evil, as AR sez. It's the love of money that causes problems, as 1st Timothy sez.

There's a word for AR's kind of bogus argument but I cant think of it right now.
You do realize that in the same speach (as I have quoted) she discusses both statements, "Money is the root of all evil" and "The love of money is the root of all evil"? She points out the errors and misconceptions of both statements, and a common motive among many that make them.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM

448 posts, read 532,775 times
Only poor people say it's the root of all evil.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:39 PM

597 posts, read 1,295,586 times
The Bible says it.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,058,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Only poor people say it's the root of all evil.
Yes, we can assume that someone like Bernie Madoff will never admit the evil behind his greed and lust for money.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:41 PM

20,831 posts, read 17,017,677 times
Money is not the root of all evil. Lack of it is.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:44 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,423,323 times
Money is not evil. We created it for a purpose and it serves its purpose.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:54 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,067,320 times
Quote:
You do realize that in the same speach (as I have quoted) she discusses both statements, "Money is the root of all evil" and "The love of money is the root of all evil"? She points out the errors and misconceptions of both statements, and a common motive among many that make them.
Actually thanks for bringing it up because I was answering sickofnyc in a way that relates.

AR used "the love of" to back up her first and only argument.

"Or did you say it's the love of money that's the root of all evil? To love a thing is to know and love its nature. To love money is to know and love the fact that money is the creation of the best power within you, and your passkey to trade your effort for the effort of the best among men."

Same argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies