Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I kinda like the British. Their institutions, their history, their language [I'm a bit biased towards that].

I laugh, but if we had lost the War, we would be Canada...I mean food for thought.
A country that gave us Pink Floyd, TVR, and fish and chips is probably all right...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 09:55 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
A country that gave us Pink Floyd, TVR, and fish and chips is probably all right...

If John Adams had only heard "the Wall" how different things may have been.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:23 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Lightbulb lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From a poll of adults..26% did not know which country we fought for our independence.

Some answered Spain, China, Mexico, Japan.

26 percent of Americans have no clue what country US fought to gain its independence - NYPOST.com

This article has a breakdown of who answered incorrectly:
One Fourth Of All Americans Don’t Know What We’re Celebrating This Weekend « Alan Colmes' Liberaland

Imagine if they were asked why July 2nd is more important than July 4th!

Could it be the Day the CONTINENTAL CONGRESS declared the UNITED COLONIES FREE and INDEPENDENT STATES

Old 07-03-2010, 07:28 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
Sadly, this does not surprise me. And im sure an even higher percentage sure knows which "celebrity" just had a baby, or released a sex tape. Im sure they know what Kardashian was wearing last night and who shes screwing now.
Part of this problem is too many people have so much time invested in pop culture. Too much time reading gossip mags or going to TMZ. Worshiping these morons in Hollywood, many of whom are only famous for being "really really good looking" or because they are living off mom and dads money. People priorities today are beyond screwed up.
If people wouldve looked at Obama as a politician and candidate rather than some sort of hip hop God like celebrity than he wouldnt of been elected.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
You can't breed stupidity!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:37 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From a poll of adults..26% did not know which country we fought for our independence.

Some answered Spain, China, Mexico, Japan.

26 percent of Americans have no clue what country US fought to gain its independence - NYPOST.com

This article has a breakdown of who answered incorrectly:
One Fourth Of All Americans Don’t Know What We’re Celebrating This Weekend « Alan Colmes' Liberaland
They were home schooled.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:18 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Seriously? I didn't call it a game, for one. By tax, I assume you mean class.

But hey, kids in Massachusetts are the smartest in the country, and now we know why.

But now I understand why kids in your part of the country as not the brightest bulbs in the American circuit. I'm so sorry you guys wasted your time on "intelligent design" instead of what the rest of us on the east coast were up to.

Btw, on Sunday, there will be plenty of reminders about what those 13 colonies did for the world and this continent.

Oh and May Day has nothing to do with Communism, the celebration is pagan, for one, and has been celebrated for a few thousand years.
This is needlessly rude.

As someone that attended schools in both Massachusetts and Arkansas, I can tell you from experience that kids in Massachusetts aren't the "smartest" in the country. Intelligence is not correllated to geographical location. Massachusetts has a reputation for excellence in education that's well-deserved, but if that reputation is leading to an elitist attitude as you've expressed here, then it's a disservice to the citizens of Massachusetts.

Intelligent design was never taught in my schools.

May Day may not have started out having anything to do with communism, but it is associated with communism today. Just like Halloween had nothing to do with Christianity, and yet it does today, as it is the Christian celebration of All Hallowed's Eve, the night before All Saints Day.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Haha, that's kinda funny for a Bay Stater. You know why? Because American history is Massachusetts history. In that hierarchical order too.
Oddly enough, American history is much more than just the history of the Bay colony. The first settlement---not in Massachusetts. The first state to ratify the Constitutionl---not Massachusetts.

It's laudable that you are so proud of the state you call home. But American History is Massachusetts history, and Pennsylvania history, and California history and Virginia history and Texas history and Minnesota history, and so on. Each state is an integral part of the United States, and each state's history is an important chapter in the history of our nation.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This is needlessly rude.

As someone that attended schools in both Massachusetts and Arkansas, I can tell you from experience that kids in Massachusetts aren't the "smartest" in the country. Intelligence is not correllated to geographical location. Massachusetts has a reputation for excellence in education that's well-deserved, but if that reputation is leading to an elitist attitude as you've expressed here, then it's a disservice to the citizens of Massachusetts.

Intelligent design was never taught in my schools.

May Day may not have started out having anything to do with communism, but it is associated with communism today. Just like Halloween had nothing to do with Christianity, and yet it does today, as it is the Christian celebration of All Hallowed's Eve, the night before All Saints Day.

Well it's pretty rude to mock my education, so consider it an eye for an eye. A state and region that prides itself and creative learning with results. If I have an "elitist" attitiude then that is only a response to someone mocking my institutions. Anyone not from the northeast already thinks we're all elitists anyway, so might as well at least act the part.

Secondly, wasn't there some lawsuit filed in Kansas over the teaching of ID and/or creationism? I pretty sure there was, and if not Kansas someone out in the middle there. These religious nuts come up with stuff like this all the time to shove it down America's throat.

Thirdly, would you willingly call those Scandinavian countries, or Germans or British who celebrate it every year as a 'pagan' holiday-communists? With that, May Day as a communist day is really a celebration of International Workers' Day-which, get this, STARTED IN THE UNITED STATES as a labor dispute. It's symobolism was then adopted by Communism-which is of course primarily a workers movement. I know, but none of you wouold actually admit that.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oddly enough, American history is much more than just the history of the Bay colony. The first settlement---not in Massachusetts. The first state to ratify the Constitutionl---not Massachusetts.

It's laudable that you are so proud of the state you call home. But American History is Massachusetts history, and Pennsylvania history, and California history and Virginia history and Texas history and Minnesota history, and so on. Each state is an integral part of the United States, and each state's history is an important chapter in the history of our nation.
Well, the first 200 years like from 1620 to about 1820 is pretty much about MA, with some VA [Jamestown], then Philadelphia for a few years. Then we learn about the Industrial Revolution, which is about Massachusetts. Then there is the Civil War, which, Massachusetts instigated. So the good stuff always seems to come back to Massachusetts. To show this, here is the opening line from Wiki's History of Boston page:
"The history of Boston intertwines with the history of the United States. Boston is the capital of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and the historical center of New England.
The first Euro-American settlement in the immediate area of Boston was a short way across Boston Harbor at Charlestown. Boston's deep harbor and advantageous geographic position helped it to become the busiest port in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, eventually surpassing Plymouth and Salem. Until the 1760s, Boston was America's largest, wealthiest, and most influential city."

The first English settlement-Roanaoke Island, but they all died, and NC wouldn't be formed for 150 years afterward. Then Jamestown, yeah, I know. BUt the Puritans represent a much more American story then a bunch of gold seeking opportunists who eventually enslaved the black population. But think of that this next Thanksgiving.

The first state-Delaware. But that Constitution was basically plagairized from John Adams' Massachusetts Constitution. Which a decade previously set out three eqaul branches, but more importantly checks and balances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies