Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,408,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, I made the point:

"" you are lost without the government or MSM to educate you""
That is non sequitur and nonsensical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 05:46 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
They aren't being made public by the government or MSM.
What exactly is it that you are hoping for? I provided an extensive lists of links earlier in the thread that were not to your satisfaction. They included goverment and MSM info. Each county and parish affected by the oil has information pertaining to their specific issues, you can search them yourself. Areas affected have publications and PSA's pertinent to them. Why would these be broadcast in areas not affected or on national sites? If you live in these areas, you receive the info.

Here is an example:

Welcome to the City of Destin! (http://www.cityofdestin.com/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=Oil%20Spill%20Informatio n%20Page&category=OIL%20SPILL - broken link)

Plaquemines Parish Government

Old 07-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Zimbo, if the government was serious about protecting the public they would not allow ads promoting tourism to the gulf and they would come right out and tell people that the people living in those areas are subject to numerous health complications due to the oil spill.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Zimbo, if the government was serious about protecting the public they would not allow ads promoting tourism to the gulf and they would come right out and tell people that the people living in those areas are subject to numerous health complications due to the oil spill.
Well they are in a Catch 22 aren't they. There has never been a spill of this magnitude before, so there is no data to specify exactly what the health risks are, only speculation at this stage. Discouraging tourism would be a certain death-knell to businesses in the gulf, most of whom are already in crisis mode, and would that then insinuate an evacuation of residents in the region? If it's unhealthy for tourists, what about the residents?

There are no simple answers.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well they are in a Catch 22 aren't they. There has never been a spill of this magnitude before, so there is no data to specify exactly what the health risks are, only speculation at this stage. Discouraging tourism would be a certain death-knell to businesses in the gulf, most of whom are already in crisis mode, and would that then insinuate an evacuation of residents in the region? If it's unhealthy for tourists, what about the residents?

There are no simple answers.
Exactly. The federal government is failing the residents of the gulf.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Zimbo, how willing are you to go to the gulf coast? Will you take children with you? Will you swim in the water? Will you eat seafood from the gulf waters?

Old 07-03-2010, 05:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
I posted a video from Gulf Shores Alabama "Daily Beach Report" dated 6/2.

Here's one dated 7/3..wow, what a difference. If you watched the earlier one I posted, just look at this one - surreal really with what they report and then "come on down".

YouTube - Gulf Shores/Orange Beach July 3, 2010

Old 07-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Exactly. The federal government is failing the residents of the gulf.
That is not what I said.

BP is failing the residents of the gulf. There are many independent organizations monitoring air and water quality, and giving dailiy updates. Read the many links I posted.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That is not what I said.

BP is failing the residents of the gulf. There are many independent organizations monitoring air and water quality, and giving dailiy updates. Read the many links I posted.
The government is derelict in its duty to protect its citizens by allowing BP to take charge of this disaster.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Where is the proof? None of the many organizations monitoring air and water quality concur with you. I'm not saying there are no health risks, there probably are, but what exactly are you wanting them to say? Begin mass panic and hysteria when it is not supported by the data?

Quote:
The government is derelict in its duty to protect its citizens by allowing BP to take charge of this disaster.
What exactly would satisfy you at this stage? From all I have read this is a very complicated balancing act of not giving BP any excuse to relinquish their physical or financial responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies