Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Great post, I owe ya a ! But you forgot to give the Oil Barons their fair credit. They pretty much rule the land as well. How did Henry Ford's Model T go from running on ethanol to gasoline? Prohibition might've played a hand in that. And from the looks off the Gulf, boy have THEY ever screwed us, in so many more ways than one!!

And back In The Day, when Illegal meant Illegal, a blue-collar working man COULD earn a fair wage. The younger generation can't find "summer jobs" & work their way through college,or support themselves. All those jobs are now done by illegal immigrants, because employers are able to throw them a few pennies. Couldn't tell you how many times my son (now 22) came home & told me he didn't get the job, they hired a truckload of illegals instead.

Makes you wonder why the government WANTS us divided,broke & bitter.....
I think we can learn a few things from the illegals. I think the illegals need to teach us things like how to get along with 20 people in one small home because that is a skill they have down pat and one us Americans will need in the future!
Extended families now more common | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/18/2010 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/world_us/20100318_Extended_families_now_more_common.html - broken link)
Also the illegals are very adept at cheap eating. You don't see too many fat ones around the Home Depot which means they don't reqiure as much health care. Since most Americans will pretty much be in the same boat soon, maybe we need to have them teach us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why do you hate America?
This is not about just America. This is about the New WORLD Order and the GLOBAL neo capitalist economy. The only thing about America is this- you taught the world neo capitalism and now they are using it to whup the HELL outta the American economy!
You can continue to be fooled by the political class into thinking that America can compete with the likes of Mexico, China and India but the FACT is that America cannot. The people in those nations are too smart for us and they work for a lot less. The party is over my friends. The political class can scream all day to put the music back on but that song ain't gonna play no more. Clean up the mess and turn out the lights!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I'm with you KevK.
Maybe we will be neighbours in the new American sub division. But look at the bright side- if you don't like your neighbours, you just hitch up the new American home and pull it to another lot! No need for a fence!
The USA On The 4th: Just A GRAND ILLUSION-trailer.jpg

Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Who are you, and what did you do with KevK?

I'm not just a little surprised to read your post (whoever you are) that so clearly describes most, but not all, of the circumstances driving our current economic decline. Yes, you are very correct that our economy has changed from the days when our fathers worked at factories earning enough money to support their entire family.

I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit in the 1960s. My father (now deceased) worked for Kelsey-Hayes (now Hayes-Lemmerz following bankruptcy). My mother never needed to work and my father was never out of work for more than a matter of weeks while they retooled or went on strike. Today the same factory, like most of the factories in this area, sits abandoned with weeds overtaking the parking lots. My father's advice to me back when he worked there was "Don't be a factory worker like me...be a pencil pusher". He had no Earthly idea at the time that neither job would be available to me or my generation.

Hayes-Lemmerz still makes brake components and wheels for the domestic auto industry, but they employ precious few workers. They have reduced the number of employees by automating their manufacturing process. The precision needed to manufacture ABS components (now their mainstay) cannot be produced by human hands, so jobs like the one my father had are gone forever. Computers and the Internet have made the white collar jobs far fewer in number, so the pencil pusher jobs are gone as well.

Other nations like China, India and Japan have developed their capacity to make the products the world buys. The days following WWII when the rest of the world was in smoking ruins and we could charge what we liked for our exports gave us the economy of the 1950s and 1960s, but by 1976 we had become a net importer. We've been borrowing to create bubbles ever since.

Carter pursued a weak dollar policy to boost exports. This approach to resolving our trade problem saved jobs but at a tremendous cost. Inflation jumped ten points to its all time high as the dollar crashed. Our 22% misery index nearly matched our 21% prime interest rate. This was our first attempt following the loss of our net exporter status to grow the economy with fiat currency and a catastrophe.

I won't bother to go into all the permutations of the Carter experiment that followed. Suffice to say the core issue has never been addressed. We are a buyer first and a seller second. The solution to that problem solves the rest of our economic problems.

Yes, we can have the good old days once again, but we have to play by the rules of reality. We cannot have the second highest corporate tax rates and expect internationals to not bribe our politicians so they look the other way while they avoid our taxes with price shifting. And if we force the profitable operations overseas with our excessive taxes, how will the jobs associated with those operations be here?

Pending insurance mandates, uncertain energy supplies and proposed VAT and carbon taxes, all with unknown costs are a sure way to prevent internationals from expanding their activities here. We lose because we keep making doing business in the US harder than it needs to be. I've listened to left-wing radio and I understand the POV that pervades. It's one anti-business rant after another. Like that helps.

Maybe the real difference between a conservative and a liberal is the matter of trust. Our liberal friends are outraged, and rightly so, at the conduct of our nation's CEOs, CFOs, Banksters and everyone else who screws the guy working on the line along with the investors then, when the company is insolvent, lands with his or her multi-million dollar golden parachute. Well, what else would you expect them to do when they can buy off politicians from either or both parties with a few thousand in campaign contributions and the implied guarantee of a multi-million dollar position with their company when it comes time to cash in for screwing the people?

Sure, they pay a price politically and sometimes resign under fire, but it's only to cash in on the multi-millions of good will they have earned with their corporate keepers. Yet I hear the liberal hopefuls with one breath rightly condemn the slime rags who screw the public then wish aloud that their favorite politicians would get to work holding the CEOs, CFOs and other assorted SOBs accountable. Sorry to have to break the news, but your favorite politician is also on the corporate payroll and looking forward to the days when he or she is driven from office and can really cash in. The rewards the Rubens and Gramms of the world reap serve as a notice to those currently in office that they won't be forgotten if they just play ball.

Lose your primary?

Ethics committee on your @ss?

Don't worry, corporate America will make you a fat cat lobbyist.

Yes liberals, corporations are run by horrible people.

No, your liberal hero is not going to save the day because he or she is on the corporate payroll too, looking the other way when it's your guy setting up the slush fund won't change the way things are done in DC and depending on one party to police the other is ineffectual when they both swear allegiance to the same corporate masters.

Having said all that, the Tea Party movement seeks to involve Joe/Jane Average with the decisions that determine his/her future. Accountability will only happen when we force the issue. Think the Tea Pary participants are light in the brains department? Then get your @ss to an event and help out Einstein!

I hope the Tea Party movement continues to grow. Only through grass roots involvement will we be able to punish the corporations which buy off our politicians, because not only must politicians fear the people, but corporations as well. If the Tea Party movement fades or becomes a political party, all is lost, but right now we have an opportunity to change course.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You just do not want to face reality. This country has seen its best days and they ain't coming back. The sun is setting and you don't even realize it. You think things are bad NOW? You think the Republicans are going to FIX things do you? You are as much a fool as the other 200 million sheeple in this country. The Fit is about to hit the Shan and you better get you head out of the sand and your ass out of the air.
And there is not other place to move to unless you have figured out a way to the Moon. The banksters control everything and everybody that crawls on the face of this planet.
So keep popping your fire crackers and watching reality TV shows. But don't say you were not warned.
I absolutely agree with you here KevK...there's no going back...we're already there...where we never believed we would ever be...merging ever deeper into a New World Order system of government...the "cr*p-blowing-fan" has been blowing now for a long time, one small turd at a time...so as not to upset the bowels...too much of a "big-dump" all at once would have us doubling over in pain...no...just a few little hard turds at a time...only we've all been sleeping...and most haven't woke up YET!!!..even NOW!!!...as life as we've known it just constantly continues to crumble away all around us. Just the fact that practically half of our nation doesn't seem to give a damn where this country is headed...(because they're either shut up in a dark closet somewhere...out of touch with the world around them...with their heads up their ^(**&%$$!!!<<< THAT FACT ALONE!) tells me there is no stopping it...too many "so-called" freedom loving Americans just DO NOT give a damn!!!...I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E... Thanks a lot...for absolutely NOTHING!!!

Me...? I can hardly sleep at night anymore. I sit in the dark stillness of my living room at 3 and 4 and 5 in the morning, in a big, wonderful, comfortable chair, with everything that is WRONG! going on around me in the world today running through my mind...the list is just too great...it's overwhelming...and I see everything good all going away!...piece by piece...while my beautiful mother sleeps soundly in her bed...unaware...because I try to protect her from the terror of it...I hope she doesn't have to witness this coming into full fruition......so I stay strong around her...I don't show my deep despair to her...the members I do mention it to...well...I'm just crazy to them....this just adds to my pain..I love my family...but they're despondent...living and loving their lives unaware...as if everything is just dandy...life is good!!!!!...ignorance is bliss!!!!!...I guess......they all voted for barry...mom and I didn't though...we had his number long before he won the election.

I know we are being "prepared" for some really bad times, prepared by whom?...by God. Each new "strike!" seems to have a spiritually strengthening effect...the worse things get, the stronger I become...after I have a good, hard cry first though...

We haven't even scratched the surface yet...we've barely even begun...when it finally does hit some of you that we're not headed in the right direction, we will have already gone so deep in it...you'll slap your stupid heads wondering..."...what-in-the-hell-has-happened...!!!...why didn't I pay attention...!!!...and it's too damn late.

Have a great 4th of July...o.k...?...enjoy your B-B-que and your brew...celebrate the freedom-battles fought for all your freedom's!!!...which will soon be all gone...I wonder what kind of 4th of July celebration we'll be celebrating 3 years from now...I can see it...through many tears.

...just amazed at all the down-right-ignorance of it all.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:55 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
My wife and I are having a pretty easy time of things, and have found this beautiful country full of opportunities, and count ourselves lucky to be here. Looking forward to early retirement, and to the new pale ale I have in the fridge for today.

Good luck everyone.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
My wife and I are having a pretty easy time of things, and have found this beautiful country full of opportunities, and count ourselves lucky to be here. Looking forward to early retirement, and to the new pale ale I have in the fridge for today.

Good luck everyone.
That is JUST what the banksters want you to think!! They are laughing at people like you. You do not even know what is about to hit you. Early retirement? ha ha ha!! Maybe early assumption of room temperature!

Old 07-03-2010, 11:43 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The fact is that the USA these days is like a good looking baked chicken. Looks good, smells better but the meat inside is RAW. The fact is that our country has become a grand illusion. It has been for the past many years but it was able to be patched over to the point that it just fooled many people. Consider the economy- there was once a time when the United States had a REAL economy that was based on work, productivity and wealth redistribution to the working people.
Our industrial base was in fact the anchor of our economy. It employed everybody from high school drop outs in manual labour jobs to Engineers, Managers and other white collar types. The jobs paid well and one could earn a good decent living there. Having come from a blue collar family, there were 4 of us (plus 2 adults) and we had a house and a car and food every day of the year. We took vacations too. And only my dad worked when we were young.
Many people talk about how bad racism was back then but my dad worked side by side with Negros at Boeing who did the same job and earned the same pay he did. Those Negros could not get that job today and neither could a white man with only a high school education. True we have come a long way- no Negro could aspire to be President back then but at the same time we have regressed and been fooled by the illusion that the black is truly equal based upon President Obama, Oprah Winfrey and Tiger Woods while the real truth is that the black male is sufferiing greatly in the New World Order economy.
We have an economy which gives the college graduate the illusion that he will make quick riches if he can only join the banksters but the banksters are a very exclusive club. The movie "Wall Street" is not far from reality. The banksters rule over this country like the Lords of old England. Obama runs nothing, Gordon Gekko runs everything. The banksters buy and sell you and me like chattel slaves. And we act like we should just be so thankful for every little crumb that falls from the Master's table onto our plates.
The banksters have us right where they want us- drunk on pop culture and paying more attention to American Idle than the American economy. They have fostered upon us 100 channels of TV to draw our eyes off them.
For the past 30 years, we have been fooled. We were fooled by the bankster's bubbles. Their dot.com bubbles burst and they replaced that with a housing bubble based on fake loans and fake interest rates. And now that has burst and we are in a world of hurt.
And the sad truth is that the sheeple all think that this is just a "recession" and like all recessions before this one, it will soon go away and we will all hold hands and sing "Happy Days Are Here Again". What we do not realize is that we are in a GLOBAL economy now. The recession may ease but only because the banksters will print up the money and hand it out. Another illusion and another bubble. And when that bubble burst in the way of hyper inflation, we will ALL be in DEEP stuff.
So let us all go out and shoot fire crackers and sing Yankee Doodle Dandy this weekend. Let us all ignore reality of the New World Order and lets us celebrate THE GRAND ILLUSION!
Actually I believe in the year 2020 we will see the end of one president and the costly cycle of campaigns with elections. The executive branch with phase out and absorbed into the legislative branch. This is how we will show our Democratic progress. We will resemble the ancient Rome senate. Instead of being divided into so many groups we will be two. The Liberals and Conservatives. They will sit on opposite aisles. Laws will be proposed through screening committees. Then presented to the Senate. Then debate comes forth with the majority vote. Every session with the Senate will be on T.V.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:51 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,181,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
And when was it written because the reference to black people as 'negroes' is archaic.
LOL...yeah, tell me about it.

Once again, they got caught........

Old 07-03-2010, 12:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
[font=Georgia]
Have a great 4th of July...o.k...?...enjoy your B-B-que and your brew...celebrate the freedom-battles fought for all your freedom's!!!...which will soon be all gone...I wonder what kind of 4th of July celebration we'll be celebrating 3 years from now...I can see it...through many tears.

...just amazed at all the down-right-ignorance of it all.
I will enjoy my fourth. I will enjoy my fourth three years from now, God willing. What do you think is going to happen in three years? I have an idea what you are referring to, but I'd like for you to tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies