Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:07 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Why? I said Evangelicals have higher divorce rates, not all regular churchgoers or Catholics. Nice try though.

From your own link.

In fact, believe it or not, Teddy Kennedy's home state of Massachusetts is No 1 in marital stability. Donald Trump's New York follows close behind.
Conversely, almost all of the states with the highest divorce rates are found
below the tan line. And four of these states - Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma,
and Tennessee - are located right in the heart of the Bible belt.

The Southern "Bible Belt" is where you will find the highest percentage of regular churchgoers, the highest percentage of Evangelicals, and the highest percentage of divorce in the country. You can connect the dots.

In truth, the National Institute for Healthcare Research says weekly
churchgoers
throughout the U.S. are less apt to divorce than people who claim"no religion" and those who attend religious services less than once a week.

That includes Evangelicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In truth, the National Institute for Healthcare Research says weekly
churchgoers
throughout the U.S. are less apt to divorce than people who claim"no religion" and those who attend religious services less than once a week.

That includes Evangelicals.
Really. then explain why the southern states have the highest divorce rates.. when they also have the highest percentage of regular churchgoers.

The trick here though is you cannot say anything about single people shacking up. Because that does not affect the divorce rates in any way shape or form as we have already explained.

The Catholics and other denominations may help to bring the overall statistics for churchgoers nationwide down. Break out the Evangelicals and you have a different ballgame though.

What is your hypothesis about the Bible Belt having the highest divorce rates?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Catholics [which Massachusetts is over 50%] have to go through what the Chuch calls Pre-Cana classes. These usually last about 6 months and the couple will learn about their compatibility, conflict resolution, the meaning of marriage [according to the Church], and living with their Catholic faith.

But the Church takes great pains to ensure the viability of these marriages-which most certianly lends itself to lower divorce rates. Catholics cannot get divorced, but can have their marriages annuled, ie-it never happened. But that's only under Church law, under civil law there is only divorce.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 AM

507 posts, read 879,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You do mean the large blue cities (including mine) that elected a clown to the highest office do you not?
No,I mean those states where Hitler would win the white vote if he set up concentration camps for black folk,

Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 AM

382 posts, read 302,888 times
Idiotic threads like this are pointless. Liberals find whatever they want and twist and turn it into something they can use to bash others.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss14 View Post
Idiotic threads like this are pointless. Liberals find whatever they want and twist and turn it into something they can use to bash others.
Yes, that is exactly what is going on here. And when Conservatives don't like what they read, or what the truth is, they throw a tantrum like a three year old.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
No,I mean those states where Hitler would win the white vote if he set up concentration camps for black folk,
Lol. This made me laugh out loud. That is funny.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Yes, that is exactly what is going on here. And when Conservatives don't like what they read, or what the truth is, they throw a tantrum like a three year old.
Big whoop! So what if the divorce rate is higher in "red states" more than it is in "blue states". It is pointless crap. Just another example of a bored liberal with to much time on their hands finding something to complain about and try and make a big deal about. Guess what I live in a "red state" I been married 4 years no divorce, my parents 28 years,my mothers parents 50 years till my grandpa died,fathers parents 60 years till grandpa died. We have all lived and still live in "red states". Maybe the divorce rate has to do with the fact people don't take marriage as seriously as they should and as seriously as they did 50 years ago.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So? We still have the lowest divorce rate.

Because people in your state DON"T GET MARRIED!

They shack up and have kids out of wedlock.

You have to get married before you can be divorced!
Definition of "rate" for above context.

Quote:
A certain quantity or amount of one thing considered in relation to a unit of another thing and used as a standard or measure: at the rate of 60 miles an hour.
Rate | Define Rate at Dictionary.com

In the divorce rate context, the divorce rate is figured for actual marriages only.

Dictionary is your friend.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss14 View Post
Big whoop! So what if the divorce rate is higher in "red states" more than it is in "blue states". Guess what I live in a "red state" I been married 4 years no divorce, my parents 28 years,my mothers parents 50 years till my grandpa died,fathers parents 60 years till grandpa died. We have all lived and still live in "red states". Maybe the divorce rate has to do with the fact people don't take marriage as seriously as they should and as seriously as they did 50 years ago.
Good for you (and your grandma and grandpa)! You all are doing your part to keep it from getting even worse where you live.

Instead of whining about it and sticking your head in the sand, how about asking what is causing this disturbing trend where you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies