Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Americans rely too much on air conditioning?
Yes 40 40.82%
No 53 54.08%
Not sure 5 5.10%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:01 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I live in Phoenix, if you ask me to turn down my A/C during the summer I'll politely ask you to stick your head in an oven for 20 minutes and see how you like it.
I agree and second your post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
I have a/c and a furnace but never use either. I live app 3 miles from the coast and the temps here are for the most part in the 60's and 70's all year. My combined gas/electric bill is app 40-50 per month.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
Air Conditioning/Refrigeration is, in my opinion, the most important invention that the human race has ever created. The world would be totally different without it. For one thing, no computers, big supermarkets, etc. We would still be on the dusty, hot country road.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:24 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
'Losing Our Cool' asks to turn down the air conditioning - latimes.com

Is this something to really be concerned about, or is the request to decrease our use of air conditioning going too far?
CO2 is a naturally occurring compound that is necessary to our very existence on earth. Why would I be worried if my AC is producing a bit of it?

But if it irritates the eco nazis, I might just have to turn it up a bit today.

The funniest thing about this thread though, is how high people have it turned up. 78° indoors is practically unbearable to this Mainer. I can tolerate sub-zero temperatures, but you let it get above 70 degrees and I'm miserable without at least a fan. I have a window unit in my bedroom, and it is on a lot, always on the highest setting. Same thing goes with the car.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:35 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
CO2 is a naturally occurring compound that is necessary to our very existence on earth. Why would I be worried if my AC is producing a bit of it?

You can always rely on somebody making this nonsense statement. Exxon money put to good use for their propaganda campaign.

The purpose of the carbon cycle diagram is to exemplify the natural balance of carbon and the processes that appear to be out of balance currently. The exchange over the ocean seems to be still in check. However, with the occurrence of industries emitting more and more carbon dioxide into the air, the balances of other processes are no longer equal. Previously, the process of photosynthesis took care of most of the carbon emitted into the air. However, with deforestation and the increase of industry, nature can't keep up any more. This diagram shows examples of this.

Carbon Cycle Diagram - LoveToKnow Green Living

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-25-2010 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 05:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You can always rely on somebody making this nonsense statement. Exxon money put to good use for their propaganda campaign.

The purpose of the carbon cycle diagram is to exemplify the natural balance of carbon and the processes that appear to be out of balance currently. The exchange over the ocean seems to be still in check. However, with the occurrence of industries emitting more and more carbon dioxide into the air, the balances of other processes are no longer equal. Previously, the process of photosynthesis took care of most of the carbon emitted into the air. However, with deforestation and the increase of industry, nature can't keep up any more. This diagram shows examples of this.

Carbon Cycle Diagram - LoveToKnow Green Living
While you live "green" and sacrifice comforts in the name of reducing CO2, Al Gore is laughing all the way to the bank, not before stopping by his huge monstrosity of a CO2 producing mansion in his private jet He got you suckered in pretty good. Shame you won't see the truth that the whole green agenda is to just profit off the do-gooders

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post

The funniest thing about this thread though, is how high people have it turned up. 78° indoors is practically unbearable to this Mainer. I can tolerate sub-zero temperatures, but you let it get above 70 degrees and I'm miserable without at least a fan. I have a window unit in my bedroom, and it is on a lot, always on the highest setting. Same thing goes with the car.
Our heat index down here in PA has been over 100 for a while now Lovin it

Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
The only way this would work is if we could alter our culture to adapt to a world without air conditioning.

For instance in many primitive cultures who do not have air conditioning, very little clothing is worn. This, of course, make use of maximum evaporation to cook the skin. You cannot expect someone to wear a three-pieces suite or panty hose in a "corporate environment" when it is 100 degrees. Take a look at the clothing worn by native Africans (which is very little to none), and primitive tribes in Brazil (again, little to none), and pre-west-influence Polynesian cultures (little to none) to see that nakedness or near nakedness would have to be the norm.

Secondly, note that in many cultures that do not have air conditioning, that the mid-day hours are spent doing virtually nothing and trying to stay as cool as possible with the help of natural elements such as trees/shade and water. Therefore, again our culture would have to adapt to some type of system whereby during the hottest part of the day we could retire to basements, under shade trees or other places to keep cool.

This is a very common scenario in Latin American countries where the siesta is commonplace.

It could be done, but it would not be easy. I doubt if corporate America would be willing to make the changes necessary.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
I'm buying a new home that has every energy efficiency upgrade I could possibly get except solar panels. It will be 72-74 in the summer, 66-68 in the winter. Bills will be under $100 most of the time. Maybe we should ask all the people in the north not to heat their homes instead....

Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I live in Duluth, Minnesota (in the Midwest) and neither my home nor my grandmother's home has air conditioning. In addition, our store doesn't have A/C. The temperature here hasn't passed 90 degrees since 2006 (although it's come close several times).

I can't believe those who imply that life is almost impossible without air conditioning. Modern air conditioning has been around for roughly 100 years. For thousands upon thousands of years before, people came up with alternate methods of coping with the heat, and they still do in the majority of the world today.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I live in Duluth, Minnesota (in the Midwest) and neither my home nor my grandmother's home has air conditioning. In addition, our store doesn't have A/C. The temperature here hasn't passed 90 degrees since 2006 (although it's come close several times).

I can't believe those who imply that life is almost impossible without air conditioning. Modern air conditioning has been around for roughly 100 years. For thousands upon thousands of years before, people came up with alternate methods of coping with the heat, and they still do in the majority of the world today.
Easy for you to say. You live in Duluth, which isn't notorius for oppressive summers. Come to anyplace with oppressively hot and humid summers. Something tells me you'll rethink your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies