Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:33 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
They know about Jesus -- they know about Christianity-- and yes, there are even Iranian Christians.

No, they are not allowed to proslytize. But so what? I for one am sick and tired of people who think that their religion is better then anyone elses and that they need to either try to convert me or enact laws to protect me from myself (i.e.teach creationism in schools).
In America we have freedom of speech and freedom of religions. Typically, we associate those 2 freedoms with the level of freedom or oppression a country has.
Quote:
Seriously, you people are no better then the ayatollahs.

If given the chance to control the country fundementalist christians would wield the whip just as forcibly as the ayatollahs. Maybe women wouldn't be stoned, but the gays would be driven back into the shadows for sure.
You do realize that Christianity treats women better than most religions do, don't you? You may pick a few verses from the Bible that reflect the culture of the time...but it's not the Bible that allows for beating women as long as it's a stick that's not any thicker than your thumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:33 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Jesus Christ is not a prophet for Christians, He is God. The early Christians were converted from other beliefs. Many were Pagans. Rome was Pagan. When they saw how Christianity taught love and respect for the individual droves converted to Christianity, still do today.

Sad thing is Muslim countries like Iran will not allow proselytizing for their people to learn about Jesus or if they do and want to convert they will be killed. Missionaries are in danger of being killed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Jesus never said He was God.
A prophet hasn't the spiritual power to save our mortal souls. God could not save us either. To solve that problem He sent His son. Even the daily bible page I have quoted say: 'before He was born a human'. However, find it any where in the Bible that Jesus says I am God.
There is no reason to believe in Christ if one denies that He was God (Immanuel, God with us). You cannot ignore John 1:1 or the many other instances where Scripture points to Jesus and God being one.

John 1:1
[ The Word Became Flesh ] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:1-3 (in Context) John 1 (Whole Chapter)

From your own links: It's important to understand that Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ, is the physical incarnation of the Word, our Creator (John 1: 1-14; 1 John 1: 1-3). In John 8: 58 we read, "Jesus said to them...I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I Am." And Paul tells us, "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever" (Hebrews 13: 8). The LORD of the Old Testament is also the Lord of the New Testament. "For I am the LORD, I change not;

"God could not save us...so He sent His son." What kind of God is that? There is nothing God cannot do, or will not do, out of mercy and love for us.

Back to the topic.

Last edited by swbtoo; 07-09-2010 at 07:52 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
There is no reason to believe in Christ if one denies that He was God (Immanuel, God with us). You cannot ignore John 1:1 or the many other instances where Scripture points to Jesus and God being one.
[ The Word Became Flesh ] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

"God could not save us...so He sent His son." What kind of God is that? There is nothing God cannot do, or will not do, out of mercy and love for us.

Back to the topic.

Actually, Revelation, chapter 1 he says he is God. In Rev 4 we see God being worshiped. In Rev 5 we see Jesus receiving the same worship.

Along with John 10 he claimed to be the "I AM". That is a clear allusion to God calling himself the "I AM". The Jews knew it, and tried to stone him for it.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Maybe they should have sentenced her to waterboarding..that would have gotten the "Waste-in-chief" and Pelosi / Reed to condemn it..but stoning....well not so much

Old 07-09-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Actually, Revelation, chapter 1 he says he is God. In Rev 4 we see God being worshiped. In Rev 5 we see Jesus receiving the same worship.

Along with John 10 he claimed to be the "I AM". That is a clear allusion to God calling himself the "I AM". The Jews knew it, and tried to stone him for it.
Rep to you! (I didn't want to take the topic that far off the subject of this Iranian woman's fate under these monstrous customs.)

Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
In America we have freedom of speech and freedom of religions. Typically, we associate those 2 freedoms with the level of freedom or oppression a country has.

You do realize that Christianity treats women better than most religions do, don't you? You may pick a few verses from the Bible that reflect the culture of the time...but it's not the Bible that allows for beating women as long as it's a stick that's not any thicker than your thumb.
Yes, christianity does treat women better then islam - but that doesn't negate the fact that the US is not a theocracy, was never meant to be a theocracy and only bad things happen to nations when they do become theocracies (regardless of the religion).

I am against sharia law, I am against state sponsered religion wether that religion be christian or not.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, christianity does treat women better then islam - but that doesn't negate the fact that the US is not a theocracy, was never meant to be a theocracy and only bad things happen to nations when they do become theocracies (regardless of the religion).

I am against sharia law, I am against state sponsered religion wether that religion be christian or not.

I actually agree with you on that. I don't want the state telling me how to worship, nor do I want gov't based on some wacko's interpretation of things.

Having said that, we do have a democratic republic, not a dictatorship. There are checks and balances in place to make sure religion is not used to oppress people. There is nothing wrong with allowing expression of religion by the people. I think in our haste to makes sure the state is not controlled by religion, we tend to overcompensate and trample people's rights to religion.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
I actually agree with you on that. I don't want the state telling me how to worship, nor do I want gov't based on some wacko's interpretation of things.

Having said that, we do have a democratic republic, not a dictatorship. There are checks and balances in place to make sure religion is not used to oppress people. There is nothing wrong with allowing expression of religion by the people. I think in our haste to makes sure the state is not controlled by religion, we tend to overcompensate and trample people's rights to religion.
Luckily the US doesnot have that problem. A theocracy by its very nature can leave no room for any other type of competing religion/message.

I suppose what irks me about prosyltizing is the way many do it in the US. I went to two parades this summer and at each of them there were azhats who felt the need to pass around 'chick tracts' in order to advertise 'the word'. Boy, did that pizz me off.
On the other hand there was a float entered by a church that had a rocking band playing on it. Now that is a great way to advertise your presence in the community, get people curious about your church and leave good feeling among the neighbors.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I'm also against that, and the points Calvinist made.

Quote:
I suppose what irks me about prosyltizing is the way many do it in the US. I went to two parades this summer and at each of them there were azhats who felt the need to pass around 'chick tracts' in order to advertise 'the word'. Boy, did that pizz me off.
On the other hand there was a float entered by a church that had a rocking band playing on it. Now that is a great way to advertise your presence in the community, get people curious about your church and leave good feeling among the neighbors.
Good points. I don't like the tracts either.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

From your own links: It's important to understand that Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ, is the physical incarnation of the Word, our Creator (John 1: 1-14; 1 John 1: 1-3). In John 8: 58 we read, "Jesus said to them...I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I Am." And Paul tells us, "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever" (Hebrews 13: 8). The LORD of the Old Testament is also the Lord of the New Testament. "For I am the LORD, I change not;

Back to the topic.
Yes, of course. However, I do not get that. Could we speak through PM as I am most interested in what you have to say. God did save us through the sending of His Son.

Christ is a go-between as Mary is a go-between for Catholics for our prayers and all who are still waiting for the, "Christ". We pray through "Christ" and He takes our prayers to "His Father". It is my understanding God has not ended this world yet, because Christ goes to Him and says, 'there is still good in this world, it is not time'.

There are those who believe Christ has yet to be born. He will come as a man, not a child.

He sent His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him (the Son)...

The Bible does not say, He sent Himself. We say He sent Himself.

I will await your response through PM as I have never understood, how we get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies