Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:57 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,170,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Activist: Iranian mother of two to be stoned to death - CNN.com

"Ashtiani, 42, will be buried up to her chest, according to an Amnesty International report citing the Iranian penal code. The stones that will be hurled at her will be large enough to cause pain but not so large as to kill her immediately."

This is punishment for alleged adultery, the confession for which came as a result of torture and language barrier.

Is this punishment going to be carried out because Iran's government is Islamic or because Iran's government is a bunch of crazy @ssho!es?
What a heartbreaking video. I will just pray for her that this somehow gets overturned. I could not even imagine this happening to my mother. What a HORRIBLE way to die!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 03:02 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,453,968 times
And some want to bring Sharia law here?????

Old 07-05-2010, 03:08 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,611,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You are claiming that religion does not have a history of violence? You are claiming that harsh physical punishments for "moral" crimes is not rooted in some religion?

Semantics can be confusing. Sometimes anger obfuscates the obvious. The root of evil is in the heart of man, we are all individually responsible for the wrongs we commit to another. It only takes one to do a bad deed (i.e. a Hitler), and sometimes that one garners a following of weak minded for the all important "cause". Religious, or not. Some believe in a devil, I don't know if that entity exists. I continue to take responsibility for my actions, whether it exists or not. Not everyone is willing to do that, so have to put their wrong doings onto someone or something else. I think is a definite flaw in some religious tenets.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,734,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Semantics can be confusing. Sometimes anger obfuscates the obvious. The root of evil is in the heart of man, we are all individually responsible for the wrongs we commit to another. It only takes one to do a bad deed (i.e. a Hitler), and sometimes that one garners a following of weak minded for the all important "cause". Religious, or not. Some believe in a devil, I don't know if that entity exists. I continue to take responsibility for my actions, whether it exists or not. Not everyone is willing to do that, so have to put their wrong doings onto someone or something else. I think is a definite flaw in some religious tenets.
Religions certainly have led the pack as far as violence, cruel and unusual punishment, and hate. Stoning is all of this packed into one and the Christian God demanded it according to the bible.

Also, a little American history for you:

Quote:
Settlers who blasphemed by denying either the trinity or the divinity of Jesus Christ could be punished by execution or the seizure of their lands. That meant that Jews, Unitarians, and other dissenters from trinitarian Christianity were practicing their religions at risk to their lives.[7] Any person who insulted the Virgin Mary, the apostles, or the evangelists could be whipped, jailed, or fined. Otherwise, trinitarian Christians' right to worship was protected.
Maryland Toleration Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,269 posts, read 8,633,034 times
Are we talking about History or the present.....Everyone is right...can't we all just get long.......Hundreds of years ago Americans were burned at the stake for being witches and other ridiculas things...Today the Iranians are Stoning women and other ridiculas things...Their problem, not ours...if they don't like it they'll overthrow thier Leaders just like everyone else eventually does...At least all you Pro-Iran argueers realize that they are at least 400 years behind the times...Damn Idiots

Old 07-05-2010, 03:23 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,611,208 times
Quote:
Religions certainly have led the pack as far as violence, cruel and unusual punishment, and hate. Stoning is all of this packed into one and the Christian God demanded it according to the bible.

Also, a little American history for you:

Maryland Toleration Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, our nation has been shrouded in ignorance and many wrongdoings, including the obliteration of whole nations of peoples here. That this country more recently has attempted to right some of those wrongs is a positive. And doesn't serve anyone to negate the vast amount of good which has been done by our country. I don't think such steps for ongoing retribution happen in many other countries, now or in the past.

There is no "Christian god", only one god. Some call him Y-hweh, some Father, some Jesus, some Allah. As a rabbi once said, "what matter if He comes but once, or twice...He is coming".

Old 07-05-2010, 03:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,734,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Yes, our nation has been shrouded in ignorance and many wrongdoings, including the obliteration of whole nations of peoples here. That this country more recently has attempted to right some of those wrongs is a positive. And doesn't serve anyone to negate the vast amount of good which has been done by our country. I don't think such steps for ongoing retribution happen in many other countries, now or in the past.
My point, Religion is the source of cruel and inhumane punishment for moral crimes.

Here is a present day example here in America. Imagine what America would be like today if it were a Christian Theocracy!

Quote:
The American Family Association would be pleased if officials at Sea World would take a step back to biblical days and schedule a primitive stoning of the whale that was responsible for the death of trainer Dawn Brancheau last month. The fundamentalist group is chalking the death up to be the result of "animal rights insanity."
Quote:
"If the counsel of the Judeo-Christian tradition had been followed, Tillikum (the whale, also known as Tilly) would have been put out of everyone's misery back in 1991 and would not have had the opportunity to claim two more human lives," said Bryan Fischer, director of issue analysis, in his AFA blog. "Says the ancient civil code of Israel, 'When an ox gores a man or woman to death, the ox shall be stoned, and its flesh shall not be eaten, but the owner shall not be liable.' (Exodus 21:28)."
Christians go too far with barbaric Sea World whale stoning aspirations

Old 07-05-2010, 03:33 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,437,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Iran Had a Democracy Before We Took It Away

Iranians do not need or want us to teach them about liberty and representative government. They have long embodied this struggle. It is we who need to be taught. It was Washington that orchestrated the 1953 coup to topple Iran’s democratically elected government, the first in the Middle East, and install the compliant shah in power. It was Washington that forced Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh, a man who cared as much for his country as he did for the rule of law and democracy, to spend the rest of his life under house arrest. We gave to the Iranian people the corrupt regime of the shah and his savage secret police and the primitive clerics that rose out of the swamp of the dictator’s Iran. Iranians know they once had a democracy until we took it away.

Iran Had a Democracy Before We Took It Away | CommonDreams.org

Dennis Kucinich: Iran Had a Democracy, We Helped Destroy It (speech)
Yes. Many forget WHY they hate our ass so much. When we talk about "Spreading freedom" but in reality over throw their democratically elected leaders and install a brutal dictator we should not be surprised at what we get.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:37 PM

309 posts, read 1,209,052 times
Greetings,

I hope the women turn on the men and do the same to them. There the PIGS.
Be Blessed

Old 07-05-2010, 03:42 PM

454 posts, read 481,812 times
Quote:
My point, Religion is the source of cruel and inhumane punishment for moral crimes.

Here is a present day example here in America. Imagine what America would be like today if it were a Christian Theocracy!

Christians go too far with barbaric Sea World whale stoning aspirations
The facts are that all countries with Christian majority are democracies.
Most countries with Muslims are Muslim theocracies/ dictatorships , some follow Sharia laws and some not yet, none are free.
Even Turkey are becoming more radical.

Muslims Against Sharia
just a bit
OUR GOALS

• to educate Muslims about dangers presented by Islamic religious texts and why Islam must be reformed
  • to educate non-Muslims about the differences between moderate Muslims and Islamists (a.k.a. Islamic Religious Fanatics, Radical Muslims, Muslim Fundamentalists, Islamic Extremists or Islamofascists)
  • to educate both Muslims and non-Muslims alike that Moderate Muslims are also targets of Islamic Terror

OUR MANIFESTO

Acknowledging mistakes
The majority of the terrorist acts of the last three decades, including the 9/11 attacks, were perpetrated by Islamic fundamentalists in the name of Islam. We, as Muslims, find it abhorrent that Islam is used to murder millions of innocent people, Muslims and non-Muslims alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies