Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,497,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What are you talking about?
Potential sources of COPD/ breathing troubles.

Also, certain industrial chemicals. They say asbestos can cause issues.

Let's not forget perfumes/colognes, auto exhaust, and smoke from cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,309,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yeah the letters in red appear to be you telling a person that should not be able to do that legal activity. Since you are telling them they have to put it out. Is that not your opinion on how it should be?

Then there is the letters in blue. Seems you are using the exact words" You are not allowed" .

In most public places, smoking indoors or outdoors is already not allowed. It's not my decision, it's the law. If it's not the law, then I have no standing in telling a person what they can or cannot do, do I? I'm all for enforcing laws regarding smoking in public places. No law, no enforcement - it's that simple.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:44 PM

How about no enforcement--law or not?

I jaywalk. Never been ticketed or stopped for it.

However, I HAVE been stopped and harassed for walking down the street, minding my own business.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:44 PM

448 posts, read 531,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree with you on that one.

The difference is, however, cigarettes serve no nutritional purpose (or any purpose, period) and fast food, while not ideal for chronic consumption, still does have some nutritional value.
That is true. It can also be the rate of consumption of these products. I'm not talking a pack a day smoker. I know that some are only social smokers or have a cigar once in a while. Yet, I know for a fact more than 50% of the youth eats fast food 2+ times a week.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You appear to want to criminalize smoking in your vicinity.
I don't have to want to criminalize it, there are already laws on the books that take care of my objections to smoking in public places.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:45 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Brown bag it if it's in a public place.
That would still be breaking the law.

My point is that not all things legal are allowable under every circumstance. Not allowing smoking in some places isn't a horrible disregard of our rights, sometimes it's just common sense.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I don't have to want to criminalize it, there are already laws on the books that take care of my objections to smoking in public places.
The laws aren't as broad as you'd like them to be. Sorry.

Quote:
How about no enforcement--law or not?

I jaywalk. Never been ticketed or stopped for it.

However, I HAVE been stopped and harassed for walking down the street, minding my own business.
Sorry for your troubles....

512 posts, read 857,776 times
Quote:
I believe that you find the answers you're looking for. If you believe it's bad for you, you suffer its effects, and notice those who are ill for reasons that may have nothing to do with smoking.

If you think it has no ill effects, you notice the number of people that smoke that survive to old age. I also think it doesn't affect you as much when you yourself smoke.

Health is probably about 90% mental.
This could not be stated enough.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
That is true. It can also be the rate of consumption of these products. I'm not talking a pack a day smoker. I know that some are only social smokers or have a cigar once in a while. Yet, I know for a fact more than 50% of the youth eats fast food 2+ times a week.
When I smoked, it eliminated that sensation of hunger, and was cheaper than a Big Mac and fries. Two cigarettes at a dime apiece are much less than those food items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies