Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is torture ever acceptable, under any circumstances?
Yes 27 41.54%
No 37 56.92%
I don't know 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,695 times

Advertisements

Waterboard 'em.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
So if torture is basically just the infliction of pain to get information, and torturers don't stop until they hear what they want to hear, how do we know we are torturing the correct people? And when we get the information, how do we know it is accurate and the person being tortured just wanted the pain to stop? Is this becoming a guilty until proven innocent thing? I thought we as a country were better than that? How reliable is this guilty until proven innocent thing? The torturer is never going to stop until he/she hears what he/she wants to hear, so they can technically pick up anyone off the street and torture them until the cows come home and either get fake information because they are innocent, or even if the person is guilty, they could still get fake information from the enemy, and then they just go on to torture more potential innocents. At least in my mind this seems very ineffective and morally wrong on every level we stand on as a country. But screw morals right? The enemy is ruthless so we must be ruthless and mindless also.
Would be interested in knowing what people think of this.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Why not ask the families of people like Daniel Pearl who has his head cut off and you are asking this question.

So the enemy tortures our people by cutting of their heads and you are worried about a little water boarding which is NOT torture to begin with.

If the enemy does not want to play by the rules then the rules change.

We must protect our citizens by any means necessary.

We can no longer be Mr. Nice Guy when this enemy, meaning radical islam is going to go out of there way to torture our people.
I choose to live in the USA and not a third world country. With those views that is what you will have. Are you Dick Cheney by any chance?

Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
Quote:
I will wait for some proof from you that we have actually tortured anyone and those people who and are now in prison for doing so.

There are many cases proving that we have been able to stop attacks on our fellow citizens by interrogating these radical killers.
You know that GWB & Cheney aren't in jail.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,132 times
As of my post, 42% of the respondents said Yes! I'm so shocked at that level of support that I think they should experience it firsthand. Perhaps that will set them straight because obviously something is wrong with them.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Torture, according to the United Nations Convention Against Torture, is: any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him, or a third person, information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in, or incidental to, lawful sanctions.
nice way to paint torture in nice broad strokes, but then a slap in the face would be considered torture if someone was trying to get information? asking the same question more than say twice is also torture? this is what i mean by setting specifics as to what torture truly is. a slap in the face or long interrogation sessions in my opinion are not torture, but going by the complete generalization of the definition, anything can be considered torture.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
nice way to paint torture in nice broad strokes, but then a slap in the face would be considered torture if someone was trying to get information? asking the same question more than say twice is also torture? this is what i mean by setting specifics as to what torture truly is. a slap in the face or long interrogation sessions in my opinion are not torture, but going by the complete generalization of the definition, anything can be considered torture.
You think these are just play words? "Severe pain or suffering." If someone thinks they are being tortured by being asked the same question twice they can take it to court, and the judge will laugh his ass off. Get real.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
We must protect our citizens by any means necessary.
And Himmler smiles up from whatever vat of boiling sulphur he's currently occupying.

"Our concern, our duty is our people and our blood. It is for them that we must provide and plan, work and fight, nothing else. We can be indifferent to everything else. I wish the SS to adopt this attitude to the problem of all foreign, non-Germanic peoples, especially Russians. All else is vain, fraud against our own nation and an obstacle to the early winning of the war."

(yeah, yeah - Godwin. The comparison is apt. Deal.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies