Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you know what the movie "Exodus" was about? How about all the great sitcoms from the 60s and 70s you can see these days on TV Land? Many don't know about many of those old things like Laurel and Hardy. Who knows about Abbott and Costello besides we of the old group?
Anything on TV Land I'm quite familiar with. And of course Abbott and Costello. Can't forget Ma and Pa Kettle. Martin and Lewis. And so on.
I just read up on "Exodus". I'll be looking for it at the video store the next time I'm able to afford it. Looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Oh yes, another "youth of the nation" going downhill in education argument. Same rhetoric about how prior generations' school was somehow tougher. Wonderful. And, what do we base this on? A TV show with EDITORS that can cut out footage and make the video tell anything they want. Actually, maybe you folks are right about people being dumb. Only thing different, though, is that you all are included.

BTW, to all of you naysayers, answer this: if
f(t)=t^2, what is
lim N->inf f''(N)?

This was standard math curriculum in my district when I graduated, yet my parents don't know it. They can't even do algebra!
Not everyone is a math wiz, Einstein. The questions asked were of basic knowledge that everyone should know about their country. Go show off your number skills elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 07:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
So, we were dumbed down so Obama could get elected? LOL!
No..the poster didn't mean it that way.

The dumbing down has been happening for quite some time to get to the point where people believe what they read no matter what and do no research (if they know how) to find the facts out for themselves.

People believe what they are told at face value. So when Obama says it's the Republicans fault..the people believe him. When Palin says it's the Democrats fault, people believe her.

Middle age and young adults are the result of think tank experiments on the education system.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Grandpa saved the day, seems our grandpas were often good at that, saving us.

I got a kick when that guy was asked the name of the Texas anthem he said it is titled "get out".

Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

The dumbing down has been happening for quite some time to get to the point where people believe what they read no matter what and do no research (if they know how) to find the facts out for themselves.

People believe what they are told at face value. So when Obama says it's the Republicans fault..the people believe him. When Palin says it's the Democrats fault, people believe her.

Middle age and young adults are the result of think tank experiments on the education system.
How are you, its been a long time? Not sure if you remember me, but I always remembered you and your level-headedness. BTW, I know what she was saying, I was just being goofy.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Anything on TV Land I'm quite familiar with. And of course Abbott and Costello. Can't forget Ma and Pa Kettle. Martin and Lewis. And so on.
I just read up on "Exodus". I'll be looking for it at the video store the next time I'm able to afford it. Looks good.

Not everyone is a math wiz, Einstein. The questions asked were of basic knowledge that everyone should know about their country. Go show off your number skills elsewhere.
I take it you don't know it.

That isn't "math wiz" stuff. If you want that, I'll give you combinatorics problems or differential equations or advanced calculus. What I've presented to you is the new standard for graduating (aka "basic knowledge"). Basically, if you don't know how to do it, you wouldn't be able to graduate from high school today. Sorry, you're not as smart as you think compared to your children.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:

...as evidenced by this very forum. Make it look like everyone is stupid, they'll believe it. However, it isn't just this generation, it is every generation. People generally don't like to think and will take everything at face value if it makes them feel good. Even the so-called "greatest" generation (they fell for the debt trap hard in the 20s to create the great depression, perhaps learned a few lessons from it, but they still fell for it).

Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Oh yes, another "youth of the nation" going downhill in education argument. Same rhetoric about how prior generations' school was somehow tougher. Wonderful. And, what do we base this on? A TV show with EDITORS that can cut out footage and make the video tell anything they want. Actually, maybe you folks are right about people being dumb. Only thing different, though, is that you all are included.

BTW, to all of you naysayers, answer this: if
f(t)=t^2, what is
lim N->inf f''(N)?

This was standard math curriculum in my district when I graduated, yet my parents don't know it. They can't even do algebra!
Chain derivatives is standard curriculum for your HS ?
That's calculus...advanced math in HS, even considered higher level math in College.
I'm skeptical of that requirement for HS seniors.
Few, if any, take pre-calculus even in HS if it's not a requirement (and in Texas it is not).

Old 07-06-2010, 08:04 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
We know education is being dumbed down when a state lowers its standards so that student test scores will look better.

We know education is being dumbed down when textbooks are skewed, history omitted or changed and, what was once essential, is marginalized and/or replaced by emphasis on selected other events that suit the editors' views.

We know it's been dumbed down when the business world doesn't know, for example, the proper use of "I" and "me", resulting in corruption such as: "...in John and I's meeting this morning it was decided..." (actual memo in a professional corporate environment). Heaven help us.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Chain derivatives is standard curriculum for your HS ?
That's calculus...advanced math in HS, even considered higher level math in College.
I'm skeptical of that requirement for HS seniors.
Few, if any, take pre-calculus even in HS if it's not a requirement (and in Texas it is not).
It was in my district and surrounding districts in metro-Atlanta if you did college prep (which most everyone did). You started in middle school with algebra I, then freshmen year of high school they did geometry, sophomore yr pre-calc course such as trig, and then calculus.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 PM

387 posts, read 532,979 times
They purposely make education intolerable. Then when the students come out dumb and incompetent they point fingers at everyone but the power structure and the board of education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
We know education is being dumbed down when a state lowers its standards so that student test scores will look better.

We know education is being dumbed down when textbooks are skewed, history omitted or changed and, what was once essential, is marginalized and/or replaced by emphasis on selected other events that suit the editors' views.

We know it's been dumbed down when the business world doesn't know, for example, the proper use of "I" and "me", resulting in corruption such as: "...in John and I's meeting this morning it was decided..." (actual memo in a professional corporate environment). Heaven help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies