Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
Okay. Thanks. I feel less ashamed to have received a public education.
I hope I didn't come off as sarcastic in that post. I really didn't mean to, but now that I reread it...

I really meant what I said about Bio... very fun, but not my cup of tea. I remember having to go over lists of vocab and parts in the cell, organ systems, etc.. Hated that part! Math and physics have always had less terms to remember for me but more "steps" that can be reapplied if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe grandpa knew so much because education a few generations ago stressed memorization of these facts. I sure do remember sitting at the kitchen table being grilled by my mother on history/geography facts right before tests. But I don't recall having to do that with my son as he went through elementary school.

But you know..they say if you don't know your history then you're doomed to repeat it.
Wait, don't you check his homework and school schedule for each class?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
You obviously didn't bother looking at the definitions of smart.

2006 huh? I graduated in 1988. There is way too much an age difference for me to humor you any further.

You should also look at the definitions of intelligence. You have a lot yet to learn junior.

intelligence - definition of intelligence by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Yes, I read your definition, and you fit none of those traits as far as I can see. Go ahead and run off. I guess you can't handle a discussion with someone younger than you even though you're supposed to be so much smarter and wiser. I detect a hint of irrational thought on your part. You have much to learn junior.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 PM

469 posts, read 579,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Nobody needs to listen to Leno to realize how dumbed down America's citizens are, all one
has to do is read right wingnut posts on city-data....

Yeah, that family was clearly a group of right wingers. And high school grads who can't answer the question, "What is one-third of nine?" All of 'em right wing idiots, surely. Because high school students are known for their right wing fanaticism. And public schools and colleges are ridiculously conservative. These institutions are basins of extreme right wing ideology. Known fact.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
Yeah, that family was clearly a group of right wingers. And high school grads who can't answer the question, "What is one-third of nine?" All of 'em right wing idiots, surely. Because high school students are known for their right wing fanaticism. And public schools and colleges are ridiculously conservative. These institutions are basins of extreme right wing ideology. Known fact.
A high school grade doesn't know what 1/3 of nine is. HOLY ****!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Wait, don't you check his homework and school schedule for each class?
When he was in elementary..yes, I did every night.
But he didn't have the drill and memorization in history/social studies that I had growing up.

Education has moved away from the memorization stuff..they want kids to "discover" for themselves. Retention through memorization doesn't give them the "understanding". This is what is coming from the think tanks that influence teaching methodologies.

Did you have to memorize your times tables ?
Well for a while there they dropped it. Math scores over time fell.
They are now back to having kids in elementary memorize the times tables. Rote learning has it's place and thankfully they are bringing it back.

Do you honestly think you would have ever "discovered" the formula for quadratic equations on your own without being given the formula to memorize ?

Rote learning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"New curriculum standards from the NCTM and National Science Education Standards call for more emphasis on active learning, critical thinking and communication over recall of facts. In many fields such as mathematics and science it is still a matter of controversy as to whether rote memorization of facts such as the multiplication table or boiling point of water are still necessary. Progressive reforms, such as outcomes-based education, which have put an emphasis on eliminating rote learning in favor of deep understanding have produced controversy among those favoring traditional rote methods. Some American texts such as TERC omit rote memorization in favor of conceptual learning."

Old 07-08-2010, 04:54 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
Quote:
Yes, I read your definition, and you fit none of those traits as far as I can see. Go ahead and run off. I guess you can't handle a discussion with someone younger than you even though you're supposed to be so much smarter and wiser. I detect a hint of irrational thought on your part. You have much to learn junior.
LMAO. You THINK you know any of my traits by only a few entries on this particular thread. You're not only a youngster, you're a pompous youngster. You don't know what you detect. And it's obvious you're oblivious to the things you see. I didn't say I was running off, I said I was not going to humor you anymore. The only irrational thing happening here is YOU calling a man of almost DOUBLE your age, junior. You show your immaturity and lack of respect with that. My experience in this life outweighs your high school education by a long shot. But you're much too young to realize that. And that runningcircles1 is par for the course. We've all been there. You should take a few hours out of your busy schedule and read some of my posts. The furthest thing from any of my thoughts is irrationality. Also, if the only thing you can come up with is repeating a phrase that I have already spoken, as a retort, then in my eyes, you have no imagination. Or respect, as I said earlier. I truly prefer more intelligent conversation. And there is no way on earth that I feel I HAVE to explain myself to you, so I suppose while you're boring me, I just had to humor myself a little. So until next time.........

P.S. - None of this changes the fact that there is no reason for anyone to not know major components of their countries' history.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:35 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Is there a deliberate effort by the "elite" rulers to dumb down the masses?

YES!

Dumbing Down Society Part I: Foods, Beverages and Meds | The Vigilant Citizen

Dumbing Down Society Pt 2: Mercury in Foods and Vaccines | The Vigilant Citizen

Old 07-09-2010, 05:48 PM

387 posts, read 533,012 times
I feel bad because everywhere I look people give negative evaluations to public education, as if the degree is handed to everybody. I remember having to wake up early to go to school. I never missed a day. I did my best to arrive on time to every class. It was a lot of work. And it was a lot of work studying and passing exams.

Quote:
I hope I didn't come off as sarcastic in that post. I really didn't mean to, but now that I reread it...

I really meant what I said about Bio... very fun, but not my cup of tea. I remember having to go over lists of vocab and parts in the cell, organ systems, etc.. Hated that part! Math and physics have always had less terms to remember for me but more "steps" that can be reapplied if that makes sense.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
LMAO. You THINK you know any of my traits by only a few entries on this particular thread. You're not only a youngster, you're a pompous youngster. You don't know what you detect. And it's obvious you're oblivious to the things you see. I didn't say I was running off, I said I was not going to humor you anymore. The only irrational thing happening here is YOU calling a man of almost DOUBLE your age, junior. You show your immaturity and lack of respect with that. My experience in this life outweighs your high school education by a long shot. But you're much too young to realize that. And that runningcircles1 is par for the course. We've all been there. You should take a few hours out of your busy schedule and read some of my posts. The furthest thing from any of my thoughts is irrationality. Also, if the only thing you can come up with is repeating a phrase that I have already spoken, as a retort, then in my eyes, you have no imagination. Or respect, as I said earlier. I truly prefer more intelligent conversation. And there is no way on earth that I feel I HAVE to explain myself to you, so I suppose while you're boring me, I just had to humor myself a little. So until next time.........

P.S. - None of this changes the fact that there is no reason for anyone to not know major components of their countries' history.
You said you didn't want to humor me anymore... a.k.a. running off. Your reason? I'm just too young to understand. Oh yeah, that's real rational right there. The fact that you have to talk down to me because of age just shows you have nothing interesting to add and that your argument has no real merit. I have no respect for you because you have no respect for me; you have to give it to get it.

And, where did I say that it was okay for these people to not know major facts about their homeland? I believe I scoffed at the video as portraying a "generation of dumb youngins" and a bunch of older, egotistical people coming on here harping about how we're doomed because of Gen Y, or how they had tougher schooling (even though this is a big fat lie). The fact that they fell for clever editing shows the stupidity of it all. The people on that video who didn't know the answers represent only themselves, not an entire generation, and that was the point I made. Nowhere did I excuse THEIR lack of knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies