Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

Sad that our president cares more about illegal aliens than our jobless citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Since when are Americans concerned about suicide statistics?
I've been concerned since Bush was in office. The numbers are increasing, reasons the same....
The job market died for me in 2001. When it became an employer market vs, the employee market, I haven't had a decent job per my resume since.
Then I began to see others in the same situation. Then I began to see suicide numbers were up....I kept thinking time will help...another .com industry perhaps...something some where...another Bill Gates inventor of, I don't care, something to help.
Nothing yet and nothing anytime soon and I am tired now, as the stress has wore me out.

So yes plenty of Americans are concerned about suicide statistics, because they need to know, how are others coping.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSC View Post
We all can blame Obama for screwing up the USA!
I wonder how much the suicide rate will increase after unemployment ends thanks to the REPUBLICANS SELFISH, OUT-OF-TOUCH, vote against extending it!

Last edited by jojajn; 07-13-2010 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 10:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Sad that our president cares more about illegal aliens than our jobless citizens.
You would think the GOP would care enough about jobless citizens that they would vote to extend unemployment for them, thus allowing them to feed their family!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You would imagine with less jobs that people would pursue any job... right now, I have 5 EMPTY bedrooms and I am willing to pay $1k a month + free room/board for someone to babysit while I am at work... so far... no takers... ironic isn't it? Live and eat for free and just watch the baby AND get paid... no takers... hehehe... what a world we live in...
Where are you advertising?
Local papers and Craig's List might be places to start. Make sure you screen well.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:16 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I think the benefits should be extended for now until the crisis subsides - I'm not happy with either party. Bit it's ridiculous to have approximately the same number of unemployed and illegal aliens. The aliens don't seem to have a problem making cash and hiding it from the IRS while taking advantage of free social services that the unemployed citizens have a hard time getting.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You would think the GOP would care enough about jobless citizens that they would vote to extend unemployment for them, thus allowing them to feed their family!
No, that's the plan; cut off financial aid, let the unemployed suffer and blame it all on Obama.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I'm not saying that there aren't many people out there unemployed and looking for jobs, but I have a feeling people are being too selective. CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site Type in your zip code. Lemme know if anything DOESN'T come up. Its competitive out there, and/or people don't want to work at Jewel because they think they are better than that. I could be completely misinformed, but why else are there job postings out there every where? Hell my sister just got a job as a day care (she isn't a minority) in a medium sized town, and she doesn't even have a college degree yet (shes going to school now). I don't know. Let the bashing of me commence.
I don't think most people are being too selective. Employers are able to be very, very picky these days. Some will not hire the "overqualified". Dairly Queen is one company that has that philosophy. The "OQ" would probably do a better job, and stay on the job as long as, if not longer, than a lot of the people they do hire. But you can't do anything about what the employers think. I have a neighbor who has been laid off several times since the IT bust after Sept. 11. It hit Colorado pretty hard. He says he will not relocate permanently, b/c he is concerned he will uproot himself and his family, only to get laid off again. This is a justifiable concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSC View Post
We all can blame Obama for screwing up the USA!
I have two neighbors who have been unemployed for two years now, laid off during the previous administration.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You would imagine with less jobs that people would pursue any job... right now, I have 5 EMPTY bedrooms and I am willing to pay $1k a month + free room/board for someone to babysit while I am at work... so far... no takers... ironic isn't it? Live and eat for free and just watch the baby AND get paid... no takers... hehehe... what a world we live in...
Here you go and here's what your ad will look like:

Looking For Part-Time Afternoon Child Care. - Job in Hubert, NC 384298 - Care.com

You may not be getting applicants because there are many that won't qualify. If I were looking at your ad, the first thing I would have to consider is my dog. So I wouldn't even bother pursuing it.

Many employers are hiring part-time hours. Many people are looking for full time employment, benefits would be nice. Their needs out weigh what the employers are willing to give...so...they keep on looking.

I started working part-time in hopes that it will turn into full-time. I have been with the company for 1 year this month and I am still part-time. I thought I would find another part-time job. I work weekends and I am home at the beginning of the week and I am still home at the beginning of the week, because even part-time hours require weekends. Silly me, did not see that one coming. There needs to be two of me.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:29 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Wow I wasn't expecting a non-angry answer out of what I posted, not that I was hoping for one, just saying. Thanks for addressing what I put out there, now on to my response.

Bold: It could be the area we live in. I see places that have signs "Now Hiring" quite often while out driving and the surrounding towns don't seem very depressed economically. But I do also live in one of the most in debt states (don't know if that has any effect on whether or not the area is super bad), Illinois, near Chicago. I was recently in south-west Virginia though, and the town we were stay in (we were camping in the mountains) was quite depressed, it was sad to see.

Red: I agree that type of life style would be depressing, I just don't understand completely why there is so much actual UE. I can understand the need for food stamps and such, and I know there aren't many jobs out there, but from my perspective at least, it just doesn't look that bad. Far from good, but however many million out there with jobs, I don't know, that just is hard for me to believe that those people aren't being selective, work is work. I'll give the example of the thread on here where someone posted, there being how many thousand truck driver jobs out there, and many people were saying how they would never do that. I brought up a job is a job, and I still stand by that belief.

Blue: I don't know what site you are referring to but careerbuilder.com is a reputable site I believe so what I see on there, I tend to believe its out there. Granted some of those are jobs for sales jobs (Places that are always hiring) or worldwide things that aren't really reputable but most of it I believe is up-to-date, they also say when the job was posted. But you are right, it could just be my area, and the amount of jobs out there, could be very misleading from my perspective.

Green: It is. I agree.

I'm in SE Michigan. The "NOW HIRING" banners are everywhere. No one will take the jobs because they will have to give up their bridge cards. They prefer the security of UEI and their under the table income. The economic recovery will begin five minutes after the freebies are taken back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies