Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The existence of the universe points to a need for a creator/cause.
It just points to your need for a creator and a simple explanation on an elementary level. Which is what middle east mythology like judaism, islam and christianity are.

Quote:
It's common sense.
It's self-delusion.

Quote:
Everything that exists has a cause to it...unless you're an evolutionist that wants to pretend there is no God.
You want to end the search for the ultimate cause. Because your neolithic myth claims it has the answer already: magic invisible middle east sky-god(s).

Science is looking for a reasonable explanation. That really bothers fundies.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Unfortunately, science has not found the answer--which makes it basically worthless in this case.

There are some things science cannot answer. I don't believe in either theory, because neither has sufficient proof to be believed.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
What do you think should creationism be taught in public schools? Why or why not?
Can anybody show a scientific based for Creationism? Is there a scientific basis for Creationism? If not, it should be taught as a humanities course on world religions or a separate course on Christianity.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
It should not be taught because that would impose Christianity on the entire student body. The only way it would be fair to teach Creationism is to also teach creation according to Hindus, Buddhists, Zorastrianism and every other faith as well. They should also teach Atheism too. As you can see, that becomes messy. If a school mandates a comparative religion class that includes Christianity among other religions, that would be appropriate.

The Christian Taliban aka Evangelicals want to impose their religion on the masses as they have already in Texas.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:17 AM

60 posts, read 92,044 times
Which one do you mean? Is it creationism? Creationism is the literal interpretation of the Bible that clearly refers to the Christian God. Could you be referring to intelligent design? Intelligent design is completely different from young earth creationism in that it usually supports the majority of theories accepted by most scientific disciplines such as the big bang, old earth/universe and evolution. Intelligent design does not refer to any specific religion or creator but contends that the universe is so complicated including the complexities of life itself that a divine force must be or is likely to be responsible for the driving force behind creation/evolution.

The creationists have hijacked the intelligent design movement to push their religious agenda. The creationist camp have also criticised the intelligent design camp for not supporting the Christian God. Unfortunately today the "intelligent design" movement means the "creationist intelligent design movement".

I will admit it, I'm a theist, I believe in a higher purpose, I believe we are more than just our bodies and I don't think the universe is some type of cosmic freak accident. One thing I'm not is a religionist. I also don't support teaching any form of intelligent design in public schools. If we teach Biblical creationism in schools then in all fairness we should teach all of the other religious philosophies "creation" concepts as well and just not the Christian account of creationism. I support allowing prayer in schools and teaching different choices of religions as a philosophy course but I can't accept teaching any type of intelligent design in public schools in actual science courses.

There is a big difference between actually investigating to find the answers to a question and cherry picking the parts that support your own views while leaving everything else out. There is a big difference between a sceptic and an obscurant (pseudosceptic). I believe many atheists fall into the pseudosceptic trap as well as the very fundamentalist religionists they criticise. Making decisions based upon cognitive dissonance is very dangerous to any progression of science.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:46 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox73 View Post
Intelligent design is completely different from young earth creationism in that it usually supports the majority of theories accepted by most scientific disciplines such as the big bang, old earth/universe and evolution. Intelligent design does not refer to any specific religion or creator but contends that the universe is so complicated including the complexities of life itself that a divine force must be or is likely to be responsible for the driving force behind creation/evolution.
None of this is actually true.

Intelligent Design is just the latest incarnation of what I call "the incredible shrinking creation model." As Biblical crationists have been rubuffed in every court they've ever been challenged in, they have attempted to incrementally strip their purely religious beliefs of the most legally offensive details. Hence Biblical Creationism became Scientific Creationism became Intelligent Design.

The Dover Pennsylvania trial a few years back exposed the deliberate deceit that underlay ID's attempt to pretend a secular basis. It was proven to not just be warmed over Biblical Creationism, but a trojan horse for Christian evangelism... what the founder of the Discovery institute himself called "the wedge strategy" to infiltrate Biblical Christianity into otherwise secular institutions.

ID has not been hijacked by anybody. It was always exactly what it is; worse than merely bad science. It is a deliberate deception.

Satan himself could not have done better.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Default Should creationism be taught in public schools?

I may be open to a compromise here.

I used to say 'No way!'

Creationism is nothing but a childish middle eastern myth put together by a bunch of semi-literate nomads thousands of years ago. It has no connection to reality.

But talking to teachers, I now realize it may have a place in the public schools. Maybe a remedial course in creationism could be offered for those poor dumb kids who've flunked science repeatedly and have no hope of ever passing. These kids could probably max out a creationist class. Maybe some of them might finally be able to graduate if they could learn about a bunch of made-up nonsense instead of having to show some minimal mastery of how nature works in the real world.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:35 AM

60 posts, read 92,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
None of this is actually true.

Intelligent Design is just the latest incarnation of what I call "the incredible shrinking creation model." As Biblical crationists have been rubuffed in every court they've ever been challenged in, they have attempted to incrementally strip their purely religious beliefs of the most legally offensive details. Hence Biblical Creationism became Scientific Creationism became Intelligent Design.

The Dover Pennsylvania trial a few years back exposed the deliberate deceit that underlay ID's attempt to pretend a secular basis. It was proven to not just be warmed over Biblical Creationism, but a trojan horse for Christian evangelism... what the founder of the Discovery institute himself called "the wedge strategy" to infiltrate Biblical Christianity into otherwise secular institutions.

ID has not been hijacked by anybody. It was always exactly what it is; worse than merely bad science. It is a deliberate deception.

Satan himself could not have done better.
I'm not sure where you get your information from but you're dead wrong here. Intelligent design and creationism are very much two seperate hypothesis. I'm not going to argue with you that the "intelligent design" agenda being pushed in America is strictly being used for the purpose to adhere with a certain religious (Christian) dogma.

I've been reading about intelligent design for the last 10 years so I think I know a little bit about it. Here are two links that go into brief detail about nonreligious or secular intelligent design.
CSC - Intelligent Design and Creationism Just Aren't the Same William A. Dembski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-19-2010, 06:26 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
If creationism isn't taught, can a student be expelled if he/she uses phrases like:

"God, I hope I pass this test!"

Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Default Unsupported paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
If creationism isn't taught, can a student be expelled if he/she uses phrases like:

"God, I hope I pass this test!"

In my 17 years of teaching in a large urban public HS, I've never seen or heard of a student being expelled for ANY verbalization, no matter how threatening, insulting, or inappropriate.

Your cherished Christian snippets are safe and sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies