Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 AM

174 posts, read 372,859 times

Advertisements

Obviously it is wrong to teach children what you know to be lies, and only very wicked people could propose such a thing. Why do educated Americans tolerate this ignorant bullying?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:16 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,108,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That is so pathetically funny. Of course your argument is precisely why the teaching of creationism is so patently unconstitutional, not to mention down right stupid.

Not a thing that I can think of, widely accepted or not.
Now you're being rude. Have I called you stupid or pathetic or attacked you in any way? NO, so stop flaming me. I'm glad you think believing in God is pathetic. I guess I know where you're going. I pray that He can change your heart before you die.

It's not unconstitutional, because there is no separation of church and state defined by the Constitution. I thought we had been over this.

Seeing as how most Americans believe in God, why shouldn't we teach creationism in schools? To be PC? That's just standard liberal bull. Why don't you look up the other subjects not allowed in school just because liberals have a problem with it? It actually ends up being discriminatory to Christians, since other world religions are taught, and that's just one example. Like the poster said back in the earlier pages of this post, a history class is nothing if you remove religion.

I don't see what the problem is, you present creationism and evolution as possible origins of the planet, let the kids decide for themselves. If you as a parent don't agree with creationism, then talk to your kids about it. And vice versa. How is it hurting anyone to bring up the topic in school and then move on? Please tell me.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Creationism should be taught in a course designed to teach childern how to identify myths, misleading commercials and other frauds. I happen to believe that most, if all religions, the existance or non-existance of GOD not with standing, are carefully designed frauds meant to support priests and magic men that have nothing better to do to earn a living.

Last edited by GregW; 07-08-2010 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
In no way has the idea of creation or the Bible been proved.
As we have not disproved God ( yet) it has not been proven either, but there is far more evidence to support no god than a god.
There is no way to prove that there is or isn't a God. Ever.

Actually, there is more evidence to support God than not. Do your research before you make false statements. Here's just one source to look at:

Scientific Evidence of God - Top Ten Proofs

Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
ovocatto - don't bother trying to convince a true believer of anything contrary to their belief. Inability to change belief is the difference between believing something and understanding based on experience and experiment. This is the difference between religion and science.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,527 times
There is no scientific basis for creationism. It's the "brain" child of organized religion.

Separation of church and state is annoying, isn't it?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
There is no scientific basis for creationism. It's the "brain" child of organized religion.

Separation of church and state is annoying, isn't it?
Separation of church and state , where do I look to find that law ?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If those arguing that evolution hasn't been proven, or is "only a theory like creation is" would just read the links provided (or the responses themselves that put it all in simple words) this thread would stop spinning in circles. It's like every couple of hours a new creationist comes in and repeats the same old nonsense that has already been addressed. It's not even the question of whether it should be taught or not, it's that they don't understand what SCIENTIFIC THEORY means, or what PROOF OF EVOLUTION means. It's hard to have a discussion when people don't even understand the topic.
Actually, the problem is that evolution and creationism don't have to be mutually exclusive. It depends on your belief system. There is scientific evidence of both. Obviously the universe didn't create itself, God had to do that, and he started life on our planet and created man.

I believe everyone does understand the topic, but it sickens us who have a strong faith in God to read all the negativity on this topic. As Christians, we believe we are supposed to help others come to God, so we're not going to just shut up because you don't like it.

Every "creationist" has been speaking intelligently and respectfully, as far as I've seen. Some of you non-believers are being so crass and disrespectful (e.g., calling it bull*****) about something we so strongly believe in, and it's really not right. How would you like it if the tables were turned?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Now you're being rude. Have I called you stupid or pathetic or attacked you in any way?
I did not attack you, I attacked your argument. There is a difference.

Quote:
I'm glad you think believing in God is pathetic.
For something to be pathetic it must first exist.

Quote:
I pray that He can change your heart before you die.
See above.

Quote:
It's not unconstitutional, because there is no separation of church and state defined by the Constitution. I thought we had been over this.
A long string of Supreme Court decision would disagree.

Quote:
Seeing as how most Americans believe in God, why shouldn't we teach creationism in schools?
Let's put aside the constitutional issues for the moment. What you want to say is that most people ascribe to the Abrahamic god, and thus the creation narrative of Jews, Christians and Muslims, but as we have stated before, there are quite a few other theist who believe in a plethora of creation narratives. If you would like to throw your narrative into the ring would you exclude theirs? Which brings us back to the constitutional issue. By excluding all other theist creation narratives, the state is in effect establish a national religion, and is hence, patently unconstitutional.

Quote:
since other world religions are taught,
In comparative religion classes, by all means, as science, never!

Quote:
I don't see what the problem is, you present creationism and evolution as possible origins of the planet,
First of all, evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the origins of planets. That is cosmology.

Quote:
let the kids decide for themselves.
Schools are not now nor have they ever been run by kids, they are run by adults. And, it is the responsibility of adults to teach our children that which is true and that which is false. By your argument we should teach kids that the world could be either flat or round, which is correct is their choice. No it isn't.

Quote:
How is it hurting anyone to bring up the topic in school and then move on? Please tell me.
The harm is producing a nation of idiots.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Creationism is a fact, you are choosing to not believe it. It is supported by the facts in the Bible, which is divinely inspired.

On another note, if you really want to get into it, a scientific theory is one that can be DISproved, not necessarily that it is widely accepted by the scientific community and heavily supported by facts. Obviously, we cannot disprove the existence of God, so you're correct in saying that it's not an actual theory. However, it is widely accepted by most Americans as fact, and there's something to say about that.
Incorrect.

Reading the Polls on Evolution and Creationism - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press
http://people-press.org/commentary/images/118-1.gif (broken link)

Although, close to 50% of people believing humans were poofed into existence in our present form without evolving, while not a majority as you asserted, is higher than I would have thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies