Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Separation of church and state , where do I look to find that law ?
Research the First Amendment's Establishment Clause.

The Supreme Court has ruled teaching of creationism as science in public school is unconstitutional.

Trying to weasel their way around that ruling, organized religion invented "intelligent design." Lower courts have ruled against it.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You can't use the Bible to prove the Bible...logic 101.

It's both. I posted a Wiki earlier if you want to read that. And so far nobody has disproven it. That's got to tell you something.

Actually it's not all that widely accepted but of those who do accept it it's mostly American fundamentalists, people who can't think for themselves, people who don't want to think for themselves, people who don't know how to answer polls, people who don't understand science and want to feel smarter than those who do, and people who want to appear "christian" just in case someone is watching. Also a high number of folks who never went to college, which explains a lot.
Don't tell me what logic is. There is a whole barrage of facts in the Bible to prove creation. That's what I was saying.

Wiki brands are not exactly known for credibility.

Belief in God actually IS widely accepted by Americans. Here's an article posted on MSNBC, arguably the most liberal mainstream media outfit here in the States: NEWSWEEK Poll: 90% Believe in God - Newsweek - Newsweek Society - Newsweek Beliefs - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17879317/site/newsweek/ - broken link)

91% of Americans believe in God and 87% identify with a specific religion. 82% identify themselves as Christian. Last time I checked, anything over 51% constitutes a majority, and I would consider 82% to be "widely accepted."

Your arguments are lame. Why do you care if someone is a fundamentalist? Is it a bad thing to believe in the Bible? Fundamentalist =/= extremist, if that's what you were getting at.

I'll take each statement individually and explain it so you can understand:

"people who can't think for themselves"
I'm pretty sure I chose which clothes to put on today, which house to buy, which school to go to, which man to marry, which church to go to, etc. I'm pretty sure the most successful segments of the population think for themselves and yes, many of them believe in God.

"people who don't want to think for themselves"
I LOVE thinking for myself. I don't want to be just like every other Joe out there. It's hilarious that the liberals like to shout about how ALL conservatives can't think for themselves, but they're just sooo against discrimination and prejudice. Kind of hypocritical, don't you think?

"people who don't know how to answer polls"
I answered the poll on this topic, as did others. I have also answered telephone research polls. I used to do market research, so trust me, plenty of people know how to answer polls, liberal or conservative.

"people who don't understand science"
Um, I was a psychology major. I definitely understand science. I'm pretty sure those 4 credits of Statistics and 5 credits of Research Methods means I understand science, considering I aced both. Part of the curriculum is the history of psychology, and it's actually really based on a lot of scientific knowledge. I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who believes in God as well as the value of science.

"want to feel smarter than those who do"
It has nothing to do with that. We just know the truth, something the non-believers don't even want to know. You're just sticking your head in the sand b/c you don't want to believe you have to ultimately answer for what you've done in life. Whether you believe it or not, you'll still have to answer, so I hope you're prepared.

"people who want to appear "christian" just in case someone is watching"
Some people are like this, I'll give you that. They're not true Christians and they will have to also answer for whatever they've done to disrespect God. I know you're not talking about me, so I'm not even going to bother getting offended by that.

"Also a high number of folks who never went to college, which explains a lot"
That's hilarious. Not to get into a discussion on race, but blacks and Hispanics believe in God to a further extent than whites. Blacks and Hispanics often don't go to college. Whites do. So your argument is moot. By the way, I have a bachelor's degree, so you really should keep your mouth shut so you don't end up inserting your foot.

You'd best be served to stop generalizing and trying to dis people for their belief systems.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Actually, the problem is that evolution and creationism don't have to be mutually exclusive.
"Creationism" generally means a literal interpretation of the bible, which is mutually exclusive with evolution.

Only "Guided evolution" is not mutually exclusive with the theory of evolution.

Quote:
It depends on your belief system. There is scientific evidence of both.
Please show me the scientific evidence for creationism that you say exists.

Quote:
Obviously the universe didn't create itself, God had to do that, and he started life on our planet and created man.
Obviously?

I can just as easily take what you said and turn it on itself: Obviously God didn't create himself, something else had to create God. Now what created God?

Whatever your answer is, it can be applied to the how the universe itself came to be and save us a step. The most honest answer is "I DON'T KNOW".

Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Incorrect.

Reading the Polls on Evolution and Creationism - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Although, close to 50% of people believing humans were poofed into existence in our present form without evolving, while not a majority as you asserted, is higher than I would have thought.
I might add that the poll is only as recent as 2001. A lot of discovery and progress has been made in the study of evolution since then. I would bet the stats are lower for the creation believers today.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
It actually does not state that.
Difficult to have a meaningful debate when the opposing side does not do their homework.

Quote:
"He (God) can command the sun not to rise." (Job 9:7) Rather than, "He can command the earth to stop (moving/spinning)." That God would direct such a command at the sun rather than the earth, implies an unmistakably geocentric perspective. Likewise, Martin Luther pointed out that "Joshua commanded the sun to stand still and not the earth," since the earth was presumed to be at rest at all times. (Josh. 10:12)

The Bible also states: "...the sun rises and the sun sets; And hastening to its place it rises there again." (Eccles. 1:5; NASB) "Rising" and "setting" may be easy to explain away due to one's earth-bound perspective, but speaking of the sun "hastening to its place" so that it may rise again, is not so easy to explain away. It means the author of Ecclesiastes believed that the sun moved daily around the earth. Compare Psalm 19:4-6, "In [the heavens] He has placed a tent for the sun, which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber; it rejoices like a strong man to run its course, its rising from one end of the heavens, and its circuit to the other end of them."
Cretinism or Evilution?: The Bible's Geocentrism

Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Don't tell me what logic is. There is a whole barrage of facts in the Bible to prove creation.
Would you care to cite just one?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I did not attack you, I attacked your argument. There is a difference.

For something to be pathetic it must first exist.

See above.

A long string of Supreme Court decision would disagree.

Let's put aside the constitutional issues for the moment. What you want to say is that most people ascribe to the Abrahamic god, and thus the creation narrative of Jews, Christians and Muslims, but as we have stated before, there are quite a few other theist who believe in a plethora of creation narratives. If you would like to throw your narrative into the ring would you exclude theirs? Which brings us back to the constitutional issue. By excluding all other theist creation narratives, the state is in effect establish a national religion, and is hence, patently unconstitutional.

In comparative religion classes, by all means, as science, never!

First of all, evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the origins of planets. That is cosmology.

Schools are not now nor have they ever been run by kids, they are run by adults. And, it is the responsibility of adults to teach our children that which is true and that which is false. By your argument we should teach kids that the world could be either flat or round, which is correct is their choice. No it isn't.

The harm is producing a nation of idiots.
First of all, you did attack me and I don't appreciate it.

You're taking things out of context. You cannot have a valid argument if you're not arguing on topic.

I was speaking about God being a creator, after all, that's what creationism is about. So "cosmology" does have something to do with my argument.

No, schools are not run by kids but what you're saying is that you want to take away an individual's ability to make an informed decision. THAT will produce a nation of idiots.

So let me get this straight: By teaching kids that the possibility of creationism exists (again, it can't be disproved, so yes, even according to science it would be a possibility), that is making them an idiot? Believing in God makes someone an idiot? By deduction here, you're calling me an idiot? Do I sound like some unintelligent twit who can't put a sentence together? I think not.

And no, teaching kids that the world could be flat is not a valid comparison here. You can't compare apples to oranges and expect me to rebutt your argument.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Incorrect.

Reading the Polls on Evolution and Creationism - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Although, close to 50% of people believing humans were poofed into existence in our present form without evolving, while not a majority as you asserted, is higher than I would have thought.
Thanks for providing more information to prove me right. Good job.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:22 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Does anyone think that science can create test tube humans?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Research the First Amendment's Establishment Clause.

The Supreme Court has ruled teaching of creationism as science in public school is unconstitutional.

Trying to weasel their way around that ruling, organized religion invented "intelligent design." Lower courts have ruled against it.
It does not state that. Jeeze, it gets tiring to have to tell people how to read and interpret this kind of stuff.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

This basically just means that there will never be an official American religion and that they won't stop people from practicing what they want. There is nothing about separation of church and state!

Here's a link to a Supreme Court case for your reference:
Edwards v. Aguillard

It basically says that no school will be REQUIRED to teach it. That does not mean it can't be taught. It is not unconstitutional to teach it, only to require it. Yes, that would go against the first amendment b/c that would imply the establishment of an official religion for the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies