Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
1- There is a whole barrage of facts in the Bible to prove creation. That's what I was saying.

2- 91% of Americans believe in God and 87% identify with a specific religion. 82% identify themselves as Christian. Last time I checked, anything over 51% constitutes a majority, and I would consider 82% to be "widely accepted."

3- Why do you care if someone is a fundamentalist? Is it a bad thing to believe in the Bible? Fundamentalist =/= extremist, if that's what you were getting at.
1- For example...? Would you say the same about other religions using the same premise? In that case, if you support creationism in schools, should it be about creationism, or creationism as in the Bible. And do tell why.

2- So what? American constitution is based on individual freedoms and it rightfully protects ALL. You can believe what you want, majority or minority, in person, and not trample or force others to "deal with it" using a mob mentality.

3- Fundamentalism is extremism. It stems from intolerance to others and their beliefs and applies equally to Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus etc as it does to Atheists. It is okay for you to believe in the Bible. That is your premise. But you can't just ask others to "deal with it" because a majority says so. It wouldn't be American at all. It would be more along the lines of what we see in some fundamentalist Islamic countries where the majority religion is "entitled" to suppress all others. Now you should see why I said... fundamentalism is extremism.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinist View Post
is that any worse than believing rocks turn into chimps and your uncle is a monkey?
rep!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:49 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
rep!
Can either or you provide evidence where anyone in the thread stated these things? This just sounds like made up slander to me. Specific posts please.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

3- Fundamentalism is extremism. It stems from intolerance to others and their beliefs and applies equally to Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus etc as it does to Atheists. It is okay for you to believe in the Bible. That is your premise. But you can't just ask others to "deal with it" because a majority says so. It wouldn't be American at all. It would be more along the lines of what we see in some fundamentalist Islamic countries where the majority religion is "entitled" to suppress all others. Now you should see why I said... fundamentalism is extremism.
If they teach creationism alongside evolution in schools, how is that telling someone what to believe? They're only presenting that there is more than one opinion on how the universe came to be.

Fundamentalism is not by definition extremism. That's like saying all black people are bad b/c of the hate speech coming from the New Black Panther party. You can't classify everyone in the same category based on the behaviors of a few. Fundamentalists believe in the fundamentals of their religion. It's like getting back to basics. It doesn't necessarily mean that someone's beliefs or behaviors are extreme. But again, this goes back to the non-Christians and liberals being hypocritical. If you want to fight so hard for diversity and "the little guy" and anti-prejudicial thought, then maybe you should stop posting things that go against that.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 AM

372 posts, read 221,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
What do you think should creationism be taught in public schools? Why or why not?
Creationism (or Creationism Science) is pure unadulterated religions dogma, As such, it not fact-based, but mythology-based, but masquardes as "fact". As such, it is a lie, or perhaps "propaganda", but definitely not true

Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
If they teach creationism alongside evolution in schools, how is that telling someone what to believe? They're only presenting that there is more than one opinion on how the universe came to be.

Fundamentalism is not by definition extremism. That's like saying all black people are bad b/c of the hate speech coming from the New Black Panther party. You can't classify everyone in the same category based on the behaviors of a few. Fundamentalists believe in the fundamentals of their religion. It's like getting back to basics. It doesn't necessarily mean that someone's beliefs or behaviors are extreme. But again, this goes back to the non-Christians and liberals being hypocritical. If you want to fight so hard for diversity and "the little guy" and anti-prejudicial thought, then maybe you should stop posting things that go against that.
But it's not SCIENCE. That's the big issue. Teach it in history, teach it in a comparative religion class, but you can't teach a non-science in a SCIENCE classroom because it's simply NOT science.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I don't know anyone who claimed any of those things? Would you mind pointing out where anyone posted anything like this?

In a sense, if you believe evolution, you do believe that life came about from nothing--just chemicals. The same stuff you might find in a rock.

You would also believe that chimps and humans both evolved from monkeys or apes.

It's a fairy tale for grown-ups. It just isn't good science, yet people continue to buy into it w/out knowing the facts. It's quite sad, actually.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Is that any worse than believing rocks turn into chimps and your uncle is a monkey?
Well, that would be just the logic shared by the same folks who believe in a talking snake and that God deliberately created evil so He gets to punish humanity and slaughter people going forward.

But wait... rock is technically soil. And God created Adam from soil. So, dust and rocks are technically your predecessors. As I'm sure they are of chimps.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, that would be just the logic shared by the same folks who believe in a talking snake
Or Satan masquerading as a snake...
Quote:

and that God deliberately created evil so He gets to punish humanity and slaughter people going forward.
Sin causes evil. Not God.

Quote:

But wait... rock is technically soil. And God created Adam from soil. So, dust and rocks are technically your predecessors. As I'm sure they are of chimps.
God formed my ancestors from dirt. It didn't happen by chance.

Of course, God also created the dirt...it didn't just happen.

Last edited by Calvinist; 07-08-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 11:46 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Actually, the problem is that evolution and creationism don't have to be mutually exclusive. It depends on your belief system. There is scientific evidence of both. Obviously the universe didn't create itself, God had to do that, and he started life on our planet and created man.

I believe everyone does understand the topic, but it sickens us who have a strong faith in God to read all the negativity on this topic. As Christians, we believe we are supposed to help others come to God, so we're not going to just shut up because you don't like it.

Every "creationist" has been speaking intelligently and respectfully, as far as I've seen. Some of you non-believers are being so crass and disrespectful (e.g., calling it bull*****) about something we so strongly believe in, and it's really not right. How would you like it if the tables were turned?
I'm only highlighting the part that makes the idea of teaching it in school as an alternative to science so rediculous. When you say it yourself and still don't get it there is no hope.

Schools should not, and can not, teach everyones different religious belief systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies