Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:09 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
As a Christian, you are an atheist unless you believe in Brahma, Shiva, Vishnu, Zeus, Dionysus, Bacchus, Hera, Thor, etc. All of these are gods *you* don't believe in.

I promise I won't tell grade school kids these gods do not exist in a classroom setting. That is a position the state is not allowed to take because it defines religion in defiance of the establishment clause.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Here's a suggestion. Would you support creationism be taught in schools using Hindu Creation? Or, should that be Muslim version? Would that work for you, since, you're for teaching creationism. Hindu version is more credible anyway, as it bodes well with scientific theories around life coming out of a premordial soup over hundreds of millions of years.

In the interest of complete education, I would give brief explanations of each account without endorsing or rejecting any of them. Then I would also explain that religions generally require a Creator, but creationism doesn't require a religion...just a creative force. After that I would explain that those who reject the possibility of a creator of any sort also have no answer as to why we have and are witnessing a Big Bang event in which perfectly ordered materials and forces have emerged from an empty dark void to become the Universe in which we live. Apparently their position is "it just happened" and to not simply accept that "it just happened" is to be ignorant and superstitious.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
According to this poll in 2005, the majority of Christians including Catholics believe in the scientific theory of evolution. It is only the Evangelicals that have things upside down.

Religion A Strength And Weakness For Both Parties: Summary of Findings - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Similar results from our non scientific CD poll today. Right now about 136 to 24 against it.

Yet the vocal minority want to push their views on the mainstream and force it down the throats of their children in public schools.

Why can't you peple just be happy teaching your own kids that in Evangelical school. Why subject the majority of Americans to it?

This is still a democracy, remember.....

Creationism and evolution are not mutually exclusive.

A creator or creative force may have done everything needed to create life in its many forms at the birth of the material universe.

"Why can't you peple just be happy teaching your own kids that in Evangelical school. Why subject the majority of Americans to it?"

The state is not to take a position on religion. They are to accommodate all religious views without prejudice. Teaching grade school kids that no god exists is not permitted under the First Amendment.

"This is still a democracy, remember...."

Actually, the United states is a republic.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I think creationists, especially those who argue for it on theological grounds ought to figure out if they want to make God, the Creator, a part of the curriculum, or go deeper as science does, and talk about how things were created as opposed to teaching about "God".

Go deeper?

You STILL haven't answered my questions!

Why a Big Bang?

What caused perfectly ordered matter to emerge from the vacant void of nothingness?

Can you seriously tell me that matter isn't sporting a design?

Can you say with a strait face that the atom with all its functionality and diversity is an accident?

The forces that attract and repel throughout the Universe just happened to come along with the atom accident?

If you don't see the design, its only because you refuse to acknowledge the designer.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:20 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
momonkey do you mind if we teach children, say grades 5-12, that life, and the world we live in, and everything we choose to believe, is just a dream on the way to death? There is no proof it isn't so would you have a problem teaching that as a possible explanation to why everything is the way it is, in a science class?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:25 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Go deeper?

You STILL haven't answered my questions!

Why a Big Bang?

What caused perfectly ordered matter to emerge from the vacant void of nothingness?

Can you seriously tell me that matter isn't sporting a design?

Can you say with a strait face that the atom with all its functionality and diversity is an accident?

The forces that attract and repel throughout the Universe just happened to come along with the atom accident?

If you don't see the design, its only because you refuse to acknowledge the designer.
Actually something can come from nothing. I suggest you do some reading on what the big bang theory actually is, and how it actually came to be. Luckily I found this all on one convenient page. It may be a bit long but it explains everything quite well.

Evidence for the Big Bang

May I also suggest that you read around the rest of the site as it may answer some other questions? I personal found this big bang article quite fascinating. Enjoy.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Students can go to Sunday school for that other garbage. Keep superstition and fairy tales out of the public schools.

By fairy tales, did you mean the Big Bang from which emerged highly functional, diverse and perfectly ordered atoms complete with repellant and attractive forces and the ability to bond with others just happened all by itself?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Should creationism be taught in public schools?

Yes. In religious study class. Which would be an elective.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
By fairy tales, did you mean the Big Bang from which emerged highly functional, diverse and perfectly ordered atoms complete with repellant and attractive forces and the ability to bond with others just happened all by itself?
You don't have to believe in the Big Bang theory to understand that creationism is even more 'made up.'

I mean, seriously...? It's all theories and hogwash; at least evolution and the Big Bang Theory make attempts at proof...not sorry little bedtime stories created with the intent to control other people.

At least propoents of the Big Bang Theory call it a THEORY.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:47 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Why are atheists against teaching creationism/intelligent design in school when they have no problem advancing the homosexual agenda in school? If you can't teach religion because not everyone subscribes to the same religion, or no religion, then what about kids that don't believe homosexuality is normal? Ohhh that's right, you can't force other people's opinions in public school unless it fits with the liberal agenda of homosexuality and anti-religion (although it seems Islam is more tolerated among the Left than Christianity)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies